Let It Be 50th Anniversary -Twickenham Rehearsals: What and how?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J Alesait, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

But then how else will he troll this thread?

O Don Piano, ronbow and Panama Jack like this.
  2. WildWildHorses49

WildWildHorses49 Forum Resident

"Bad vibes."
    That reminds me of someone

andrewskyDE, Beatlebug and ronbow like this.
  3. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Why the person who went on for months about how there wasn't going to be a White Album box set is even allowed to post on Beatles threads is beyond me.

4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Any inadequacies in what was captured on the Rooftop (or the final studio sessions for quieter tunes) would be a valid critique as they knew that was the culmination by that time.

When the Twickenham footage was shot MLH understood he was just looking to capture some clips for a brief rehearsal montage to preceed showing their comeback concert as part of a 60 min TV special. And Suzy was just launched into without warning as 100 covers had been with no way for MLH to know it was an original or might be a particularly inspired moment. And within a minute was over. He should be congratulated for having the presence of mind to capture it on film at all. Most of the time only audio was being recorded, not film.

If you want a director to capture something well, maybe let him know what you are going to play when. Or give him the budget to keep 2 cams filming for 40 hrs a week while you mostly just noodle aimlessly and complain about the set.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    OldSoul, supermd, gja586 and 5 others like this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

They did plenty of other pre-fame songs at Twickenham and Apple, most famously One After 909. And they manage to play them very well at the drop of a hat. Must be a muscle memory kinda thing. The idea that Suzy is another old standard is certainly a reasonable guess. Old numbers they did include Too Bad About Sorrows, Because I Know You Love Me So (some of which is on Fly On The Wall), Just Fun (well, Paul talks about it and recites it, which I think is also in the film and on the Dialogue promo single), Thinking Of Linking, If Tomorrow Ever Comes, Won't You Please Say Goodbye, Hot As Sun, and I Lost My Little Girl (also on Fly On The Wall, used more as a musical bed).

Just to make another guess, perhaps it was something they came up with in India. They wrote a lot more in India than what they wound up demoing at Esher (off the top of my head: I Will, Dera Duhn, Cosmically Conscious, Teddy Boy.)

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It is a really easy song to just jump in and follow for anyone with experience playing in a rock band and the ability to identify the key. It does sound like it had been played before, but that could easily have only happened once (or if it is ancover just be something they all knew) and be executed pretty well. But I believe the Beatles did register it for copyright as an original for the film.

J Alesait likes this.
  7. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

We have no idea. Something Paul said years later is no indication of how he felt at the time. It is possible that they all walked from the January sessions away unsatisfied and feeling they didn’t have a complete album. Hence the sessions continuing through the spring, before evolving into Abbey Road.

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, I agree. I just thought that maybe some people here might have some good insights. Otherwise, I will have to wait another 15-20 years until Lewisohn describes who vetoed it in part 3 of Tune In (or whatever the title of the book will be).

9. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fair enough. But how could Peter Jackson improve it then? The only thing he could do is use better dialogue segments.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

1. He could choose dialogue and footage and music and edit with an eye towards making a film about the good times and music making, while MLH did so with an agenda of showing the griping and dissolution of a band.

2. With use of cutaways and shots that dont focus on hands and lips, a good editor can make a great film of a band playing music without large portions of synched footage. Choose the most fun audio segments and then edit the footage you have in a way that makes a nice video. Recall that the video for Lady Madonna was created using footage of them recording Hey Bulldog.

3. There actually is pretty good synched footage of them performing almost every original song from LiB album as well as Don't Let Me Down.

12. J Alesait

I agree on everything except MLH's aim was showing the dissolution of a band. People interpreted it that way in hindsight.

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I disagree. IMO he thought this would bring hin respect as a serious film maker like his dad rather than someone who filmed music. Why choose to show arguments between musicians your goal is to capture the joy of making music. He could have easily stuck in more musical scenes less scenes of them being bitter and argumentative. Folks interpreted what he gave them to interpret.

marmalade166 likes this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

London Town was killed for me by one of the worst videos ever.

15. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I can almost guarantee you posted this in the wrong thread and yet it's still kinda on topic, since we're talking about Lindsay-Hogg.

[​IMG]

16. J Alesait

There's a bit of dialogue from Twickenham (used on Anthology IIRC) where Paul mentions the use of a camera on a crane and how it could make a zoom-in from the band in the distance right into Ringo's face. Was it ever used? I remember sequences shot from above, but I wonder if they actually used such camera movements. Was it a third camera?

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

You are correct

SunSon and MPLRecords like this.
  18. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

I only recall a photo from above, not film.

19. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Yes I've considered that too. I was hoping that John and Paul's songwriting notebooks that Mark Lewisohn included in his 2018 'Beatles In India' shows would have referred to the song but unfortunately not.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  20. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Billy had an emollient effect on the sessions! When he observed the trouble caused by Yoko copping digestive biscuits, he composed "Nothing From Nothing Leaves Nothing" on the spot and rehearsed it whenever there was a break. Next time Yoko went to the biscuit tin while John and Paul discussed George's contribution to the Beatles albums, John looked over at Yoko and then back at Paul and blurted out "Well Georgie has got to have SOOOMTHIN'! " so Paul wrote it into the album tracklist while Yoko dropped the biscuit back into the tin SIMULTANEOUSLY! "Good job, Billy", said Ringo, "...always with the mollientin'!"

Crimson Witch likes this.
  21. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Billy was an accidental meetup that led to an impromptu invitation and if he'd just been noodling on the piano and playing off beat jazz I doubt the Beatles would have felt forced to keep him around. But my own list of things that distinguished Let It Be from White Album and Abbey Road ...

1. Almost incidental contributions by Lennon and Harrison
    2. Chart topping A side level songs written by and performed McCartney

... the first issue could have been resolved by pointing a microphone at either Beatle(and Ringo if he liked) and having them sing songs from the beginning to the end with the band successfully playing along that could then be released on a record. Something which could not be accomplished in a month with a full film crew, NAGRA recorders, and an 8 track setup borrowed from Abbey Road.

the second issue ... well not really an issue ...any of the three number 1 singles McCartney recorded for this album could have ended up on White Album and Abbey Road...and it's a surprise that they didn't!

Hey..everyone has their opinion.... but it's not as if Billy Preston and the Fender Rhodes piano and the tinkly tink disappeared after March 1969 like Jimmy Nichol or something. He was "tickling the ivories" or tinkly tinking pretty much from then till the day he left his deathbed to cut a track with the Red Hot Chili Peppers 30 years later. Not the only keyboardist in the world to be certain but I don't think the LaBeque sisters could have goosed "Family Affair" and "Heartbreaker(Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo)" with half as much efficiency and TWICE as much scandal considering the close proximity to Mick Jagger!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  22. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

I hope that one of the original versions of 'I me mine' will be released.
    I always liked the early versions with the Spanish part after the verses in it instead of that later used refrain.
    I thought always that the refrain part appeared first in the 1970 recorded versions. So I was really astonished when listening to the Nagra tapes again.
    There appears one version with that refrain part AND the Spanish part.

23. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

24. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

J Alesait and theMess like this.
  25. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.