My Doors Perception DVD's Have Disc Rot

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by texquad, Jan 22, 2020.

1. texquad

texquad Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently pulled out my copy of The Doors Perception boxset and was surprised when the videos on The Strange Days DVD wouldn't play. The first video on the disc started to play but then stopped mid song. I took the disc out and checked it and it looks like there's signs of disc rot on the outer edges of the disc. So I checked the other DVD's in the boxset and so far the only two that won't play the videos properly were Strange Days & Soft Parade although I saw signs of rot on a couple of the other discs where the videos still play. What was interesting was that I was able to listen the 5.1 section in DVD-Audio on both the Strange D. & Soft P. on my Oppo 103 completely through with no problem. I'm at least glad I can still enjoy the main album tracks and that's why I purchased them in the first place. So if you own this set check your DVD discs for rot. Bummer!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    marklamb and AlmanacZinger like this.
  2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Discs. All formats. Back 'em up as soon as you get 'em.

3. mine play with no problems

4. texquad

Well, it's probably been since 2006 when I purchased it that I watched the video's. Since then I just listen to the DVD-A 5.1 mixes. I'm going to make copies of the one's that aren't messed although my PC won't read the 2 bad ones.

5. texquad

Update: after trying to burn a copy of the rest of the disc's unfortunately I was only able to make a clone of one of them.

6. I see you are in Texas. Humidity might be a factor. Have these been air conditioned or kept in a cool place? Does one have a basement in Tx?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Oh good. My $14 investment (thanks Amazon!) up in smoke rot. Now I need to check mine.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  8. texquad

I use to drive an Acura that played DVD-A's so that could be a factor. Although if that's the case then I would think I'd have a lot more that have the same problem and I this is the first time I've encountered this with my extensive DVD-A collection.

9. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Any other feedback on this issue? I'd like to buy this box set, but am waiting for more replies.

10. I've got over 1000 DVDs, with many dating from the early 2000's. So far I haven't seen any sign of disc rot. Long may it continue. I can't see any viable reason for the 2006 Perception set to suffer from this exclusively?

11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

wash them right now.

12. texquad

Why do you recommend washing the discs? They aren't dirty and I thought someone mentioned humidity.

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Because it can't hurt and may help.

14. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

How do you burn an sacd or blu ray backup?

I have an Oppo 105

15. texquad

I use DVDfab to make my DVD/BR copies. I don't have the setup to copy SACD's and I've heard it's rather involved.

16. pinkchris1967

pinkchris1967 Exalted and Revered Member

I have a copy of Disc1 MFSL gold of The Wall with disc rot and then I have some discs that are nearly 40 years old that are perfect. I think it's just manufacturing errors.

17. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

I just checked my Perception box DVDs with a magnifying glass, no indication of any deterioration on any of the discs. I have the jewel case size box, not the original release. I live in southern Arizona. Not much humidity here.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

You mean that the drive scratched your discs? Some car drives did have that problem, but that wouldn't cause rot. Ultra high temps in the summer heat and humidity by you could have compounded a manufacturing problem though.

Or, you just didn't celebrate the lizard enough...

19. Just played every disc in the DVD-A (original peephole) perception box. Audio, videos, photos and all bonus material played flawlessly in my Cambridge Audio 752BR machine which has DVD Audio capabilities. Not a single issue. All look fine upon visible inspection of the disc too.

mark winstanley and shokhead like this.
  20. I’m thinking that if the rest of Strange Days DVD A is functioning (all audio, pictures and menus etc) maybe there was some software updates on some machines which rendered the two videos unplayable? It’s unusual for the rest of the disc to be fine except but the two videos won’t play. That’s not indicative of disc rot. Maybe someone like @Plan9 can shed some light?

Tadpole in a Jar likes this.
  21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's difficult to say without having the discs in my hands, but it could be indicative of disc rot if it starts from the outer edge. The videos' data might be located there on the disc.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  22. I have never had a single DVDA (and I have many in my collection) exhibit disc rot. Have you, and if so, how often have you seen this phenomenon on this format?

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As I posted in another thread on this topic, I recently discovered disc rot on a fifteen-year-old? DVD of R.E.M.’s When The Light Is Mine video compilation. When the disc repeatedly froze halfway through a certain chapter, I turned it over to inspect the data side, and could clearly see dark patterns on the data layer matching the graphics on the label side of the disc. Somehow the ink?/chemicals? from the design on the label side of the disc had seeped through into the data layer and corrupted it. I have since bought a second copy of the DVD on eBay, which doesn’t suffer from the same disc rot issue.

Pretty clearly, factory pressed DVDs aren’t going to last forever.

24. This. My experience exactly. Never a single instance have I come across in my collection either.

25. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I was under the impression that disc rot was usually a result of manufacturing defects, but in this case I don't know.

audiomixer likes this.