The Turtles / Flo & Eddie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chief, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Somewhere I have the single of Rescue Me Webelos...haven’t played it in decades...not very good. Maybe I should have followed up with that request.

it is on a yellow Columbia label...no picture sleeve.

Frank Discussion likes this.
  2. readr

readr Forum Resident

This might be my favorite Turtles album, and it doesn’t exist. I listen to this a lot.
    Try it. Easily compiled using the latest singles collection and cd box:

LP - SHELL SHOCK (1970)
    Produce by: Jerry Yester and The Turtles

SIDE ONE
    Goodbye Surprise
    There You Sit Lonely
    Marmedy Mill
    Can I Go On
    If We Only Had The Time
    Lady-O

SIDE TWO
    Who Would Ever Think That I Would Marry Margret?
    You Want To Be A Woman
    Like It Or Not
    Cat In The Window
    Teardrops
    We Ain't Gonna Party No More

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and flo and eddie did a whole lot of harmonies for a whole lot of artists back in the day.

4. James spencer

James spencer Forum Resident

Yep. This and Chalon Road are two really great lost Turtles albums

yesteryear likes this.
  5. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Because of the loss of Chuck Portz and Don Murray, plus the band changed their style.
    It would have been the perfect gap between You Baby and Happy Together.

6. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

Battle Of The Bands (and all its bonus tracks) has got to be one of the most under-rated albums of the 60’s. It’s full of gems—“The Last Thing I Remember” anyone?—and there’s not a dud on it. They were an outstanding group.

izgoblin, Twangy, readr and 1 other person like this.
  7. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I seen another track listing of that album:

Side A:
    1. Goodbye Surprise
    2. Like It or Not
    3. There You Sit Lonely
    4. We Ain’t Gonna Party No More
    5. Lady-O

Side B:
    6. Gas Money
    7. Can I Go On
    8. You Want To Be A Woman
    9. If We Only Had The Time
    10. Who Would Ever Think That I Would Marry Margaret

11. Teardrops

Although the group issued their version of the album in the 80's, they never never added it to the complete albums box.
    It stinks that they scattered the tracks across that box set and The Complete Singles.

readr likes this.
  8. readr

readr Forum Resident

I actually prefer the earlier take and the single version of Chicken Little Was Right. Both are in the bonus tracks.
    The Story Of Rock And Roll fits in the BOTB album concept nicely.
    I would love for them to find a STEREO mix of Can You Hear The Cows!
    There's a Howard vocal version of Turtle Soup tracks (not just the demos, either), I'd like those released....the Howard vocal on the studio version of How You Loved Me is much better.
    I don't know if a super deluxe version of Turtle Soup will happen, but it's the album they could do it for: there's a complete remix of the album they did in the 80's, lot's of demos, lots of alternate takes, and probably other fun things that have gone unheard like the studio version backing track for Somewhere Friday Nite (if it is not lost). Seems do-able.
    Just like Rhino did in the 80's, I've re-arranged all of their albums to make them work better. Mine aren't too far off from what Rhino did.....
    Rhino blew it when they put Can I Get To Know You Better on the You Baby LP...oops...fixed! Chalon Road also has some chronological problems....better to just do the Golden Hits thing.

pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  9. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

they could even use the rerecording of Somewhere Friday Night with John Seiter if this was ever to happen

10. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

The Wind of Flo & Eddie was a 4 cassette box set...talking about the Turtles, the break up and Zappa. It was mail order only...came with their autographs. Rhino also put out the Rytheme Butchers discs - Flo and Eddie from around the Turtles era which were them in the studio doing songs and fooling around. They were 45 sized discs that played at 33 rpm. As with the Winds of Flo and Eddie they were all signed and mail order only.

Lastly Rhino released an lp sized 45 Checkpoint Charlie that was made so you played it from the inside out...starting at the center of the disc...it was them uncredited.

11. pokemaniacjunk

I thought the Rytheme Butchers were just the Turtles playing in there hotel room together while high

12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Agree on both of those albums. Battle of the Bands is one of the most hilarious concept albums of all time in which they took the Sgt. Pepper fictional band concept to a whole new level by becoming 12 fictional bands. When I first heard it it reminded me of some of the Mothers' satirical tributes to '50s R&B and doo -wop, so it wasn't too much of a surprise when Flo and Eddie (and Jim Pons) joined the Mothers. With the all-original Turtle Soup they went out in a blaze of glory (artistically if not commercially). "You Don't Have To Walk In the Rain" should have been a hit.

13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Flo and Eddie also sang on some children's albums such as The Care Bears. They were in pretty high demand as studio vocalists.

14. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Thanks for the info on Winds Of Flo And Eddie.
    One of my big music buying regrets was not buying it
    Maybe there really wasn't much to it, but I wish it would get a re-release. I'd have another chance to buy it. Maybe a Record Store Day cassette release.
    However, I did buy The Hidtory Of Flo And Eddie.

Always hoped that another full length Flo and Eddie album would be released. I wonder if there are enough outtakes or left over songs to warrant something like that.

pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  15. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Argh! What is this "Come To My Rescue Webelos" b-side I'm just now hearing about?

YouTube has nothing on this! Somebody do a rip of the b-side of your 45 and get it up there ASAP so we can all hear it. Sounds like a lost holy-grail F&E song!

(And why has nobody digitized the full Rhythm Butchers stuff or those "Winds" cassettes?). It's 2020 fer gosh sakes!

16. pokemaniacjunk

I've managed to think of 6 songs from roughly the same time period that could fit in a compilation so far

Come To My Rescue Webelos
    The Big Showdown
    Getaway (Back To L.A)
    Youth In Asia
    This Could Be The Day
    You're Nothing But A (Good Duck)

if not then you could try to make a soundtrack to the Down and Dirty Duck movie

17. pokemaniacjunk

also to note has anyone else listened to the We Are All Gumby song they did

Revolver and Frank Discussion like this.
  18. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I need to dig out my copies. I think Jim Pons signed one of my 45s.

19. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

Flo & Eddie and Marc Bolan were fairly good friends. I read an interview with Mark Volman once where he said that he jokingly pointed out to Bolan that he owed them for his success because all of his hit singles featured them on backing vocals. That's actually true for all of his #1 and #2 UK singles from 1971 on.

I'm sorry I missed this post when it first went up because I somewhat worship the ground Flo & Eddie walk on. I met Howard (and Jim Pons and Ansley Dunbar) in a Holiday Inn lounge after an Alice Cooper show that they opened in 1973. And Mark used to work as a Music Business professor just down the street from me at Belmont University. I could see his office from the sidewalk in front of my house.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  20. Frank Discussion

I've got the feeling that no one bought The Windes Of Flo And Eddie. I've rarely seen it discussed and have never found it for sale (as a used item). I'd love to hear it.

Buddybud likes this.
  21. Frank Discussion

The article I remember reading about Marc Bolan and Flo and Eddie regarding that remark (essentially their background vocals on your records made you number 1) was that Bolan was not amused by it. They had to really convince him that they were really joking. But there is certainly some truth to it.

I remember reading a review of the Still-Young Band were Flo and Eddie sat in on some of their acoustic set. The writer said it was the best C,S,N, and Y ever sounded ha ha.

Lost In The Flood and fr in sc like this.
  22. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

I got the Winds of Flo And Eddie...it speands a lot of time on the demise of the Turtles. One point that they brought up was they hated the tune “I Wish I Could Marry Margaret “ and it was at the demand of one of the exec’s at White Whale that they not only record it but release it as a single. At the time they were fighting with the label and that was really the last straw.

I of course bought it for any Zappa information. They do talk about that time and one the few occasions where FZ joined them at smoking the devils weed.

Lost In The Flood and jeremylr like this.
  23. Frank Discussion

Ha! Finally........you are the first person I've heard say they bought. Yes, I can see why you'd buy it for any Zappa info that may be on it. And from the title I always assumed that it had no music on it (or full songs). Just talk.
    I still regret not buying it at the time.

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I had a friend who had a bunch of those Ryhtym Butcher discs. One night, he invited me over to listen.

Kind of amusing for a short amount of time, and then we both agreed that we should move on...We sampled several and it didn't get better.

Collectables, but not ones I'm torn up over not having.

Regginold31 likes this.
  25. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Winds of Flo and Eddie is just talk.