Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I wish that were true. I would love to attend a family reunion!! :love:

But, sadly, that is extremely unlikely... :sigh:

toilet_doctor likes this.
  2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

But... isn't that what the Archive boxsets are for? The big massive releases, whilst those who do not want the whole magilla can opt for the 2 disc version..?

JLPMacca and Lewisboogie like this.
  3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I just don’t think that every single thing will be archived, I certainly would not be upset if they were. Heck, I’d probably buy them ( but that’s my sickness to deal with). I simply believe that if done that sales would be incredibly low.

We have 12 sets (13 if you count the Live 71-73). If things fall the way they are rumored and FP is followed by BTTE and LT 15 sets where not one Classical or Fireman has been touched. I think that if they will do these, it’ll be at the very end if at all.

Original archive plan has already been extended so we are in fact joyfully playing with house money. Anybody’s guess how much longer it goes. My only advice is to enjoy it while it lasts no matter the releases

4. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

I can't remember the last time I used it. But dammit I'm ready!!

longdist01 and omikron like this.
  5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I don't disagree with you at all.

Except for the implication that adding stuff to the Archive sets will lower sales... :wtf:

We certain do not have a clear window into the current strategy MPL is using. :shrug:

6. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I would hope at the very least before they pull the plug would include PTP and OTG with maybe going as far as DR and CACITBY. And hope amongst hope of a career spanning of unreleased, demos and outtakes (so much still out there untouched by archives)

I think that everything else, classical, fireman and the live albums could be re-issued and if they wanted to spruce them up, maybe a small book (like Pure) was released as.

anyway, time will tell

Lewisboogie, Macca75, Yorick and 3 others like this.
  7. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I agree..even 10 years ago the thought of these Paul/Wings album big box sets was a fantasy. Throw in the Pepper/White Album/Abbey Road boxes. Even after the massive 9-9-09 campaign no one thought these big album boxes would occur.

I love each of them in their own way. I feel the Archives have evolved nicely with the "Big Barn Box" truly a work of art and a treasure trove.

I can't wait for Let it Be 50 and the Flaming Pie box and whatever else we get (Plastic Ono Band, All Things Must Pass...etc).

8. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I agree, they have really continued to blossom and getting better all the time. Just reading the disc descriptions for FP has me very hopeful for what is to come but none of us will know for sure how good it may be until it’s out

also, never take what I think logically for not wanting everything.

Wingsfan2012 and augustboy like this.
  9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

And I agree, as of today.....the RRS/WL/Wings over Europe is the absolute gold standard to measure by

Ken.e., andrewskyDE, dtuck90 and 11 others like this.
  10. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you think the FP set will rise to the occasion, or is it... half-baked?

RAJ717 likes this.
  11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Easy answer is we have to wait and see/hear the final product. All the descriptions, track listings and other folks’ reviews will never replace your own opinion once you have it. Advance info May excite and interest us but they mean nothing if the set winds up disappointing

augustboy likes this.
  12. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

The only Archive box I was mildly disappointed in was McCartney I...…..slim bonus tracks, so-so book unless you like pics of all of the instruments used, which some might enjoy. I find that cool but not for repeated reading...…..

[​IMG]

13. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Apart from download gate, my only dissapointment is the slight warping that has happened to the V&M and SOS books over time.

14. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Well, that and the basically unimproved sound to Venus And Mars. Other than that, it's been a nice series so far.

15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It's frustrating because although I never expected for them to remix 'V&M', the fact that they later released 'Wild Life' but also 'Wild Life : Rough Mixes' makes me think that it's a shame that they didn't do something similar as a bonus in the deluxe edition of 'V&M'.

16. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Funny, but I think most people expected just a remaster to even sound better. The fact that I can take the original CD and re-EQ it using Audacity and make it sound a LOT better than the Archive Collection release. I've no clue why it still sounded muddy.

17. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I hope with your re-EQ, you have managed to make the beginning of Rock Show sound less weedy. Every version I have heard has been a let down (first generation CD/93/Archive/SHM). Always forgave the Archive for not being much of an improvement and decided it was inherent in the recording and how it was.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    RAJ717 likes this.
  18. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

And we know they are out there because they've been widely booted. Including early takes.

19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Making it even more frustrating that they didn't see official release.

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Something tells me you are unhappy with the remaster work done on Venus and Mars. ;)

Lewisboogie, Yorick, Frank and 5 others like this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I just re-read my first Archive book: Red Rose Speedway. It was nice re-reading it and seeing all the photos. I also re-watched all the video content. So much value for money.

22. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

For what it cost me, I was expecting a bit more. Yes, I tend to not let things like that go, especially when the dumb press at the time was heaping praise on it. Obviously they didn't listen to it before writing their reviews, unless they were talking about the sound quality of the outtakes disc which was indeed stunning.

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

We know. ;) They remastered the compressed mix to stay faithful to the sound of the mix. That's it, like it or not (NOT, in your case). What I agree they should have done instead is go back to the uncompressed master and remaster that. It would have been a much superior sound with the same mixes. Steve asked them when he did this title for DCC, and they rejected his request.

Oyster Boy, Yorick, theMess and 2 others like this.
  24. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Regarding 'Flaming Pie', the original mix sounds great so I'm not really looking forward to this from the standpoint of the remastering, but rather the bonus material. That's what will make or break this release.

25. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

for me, remastering is always nice but mainly hinges on the bonus material.