Music Of The Spheres: co-written by Paul McCartney

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zongadude, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best Thread Starter

[​IMG]

MUSIC OF THE SPHERES

A symphonic and choral suite in eight movements
    Composed by Martin O'Donell, Michael Salvatori, and Paul McCartney.

01. The path 5:20
    02. The union 4:26
    03. The ruin 5:20
    04. The tribulation 5:53
    05. The rose 5:24
    06. The ecstasy 6:18
    07. The prison 6:28
    08. The hope
    7:03

COMING SOON !!!

This is what can be seen in this video:

(the durations are what I could decipher. They're probably approximative)

Sound promising, I'm just not impressed by the title, because:

http://www.*******.com/uploads/posts/2011-02/1296510555_7218623.jpg

MPLRecords and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I was like...wait, McCartney retroactively wrote a song with Ian Brown?? :cool:

Klassik likes this.
  3. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

What is this? Is this part of the soundtrack for the Destiny game?

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yep.

5. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Thanks!

6. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Should be called Music of the Balls*!

* Venus & Mars.

7. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

So I guess we now know which parts Paul contributed to seeing how the below songs were copyrighted last year:

Path --2013
    Prison --2013
    Rose --2013
    Tribulation --2013

Calico and Zongadude like this.
  8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thought this thread was worthy of a bump since the sharp-eyed @revolution_vanderbilt mentioned this had (finally!) seen official release. I think it snuck past everyone else, and is, of course, sold out already. Here's a link to the official site:
    The Music of Destiny, Volume I Collector's Edition Vinyl Box Set

It apparently sold for $99 and copies are out there on the usual sites (ebay, discogs) for 2x that or more. Well, mine arrived in the mail yesterday and I have to say, if you're a hardcore McCartney vinyl collector, you may want to pick up a copy before that becomes 3x or 5x. It really is quite a beautiful set. I threw it on the couch and tried to snap a few pics this morning before work. Hope (for the future) that some of you enjoy them. ;)
    Here’s the full set: 3 Double LPs, Box, booklet, and some sort of pin - though it’s quite heavy:
    [​IMG]
    All are colorful gatefold double sets:
    [​IMG]
    With custom inner sleeves and labels:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  9. mrjinks

The booklet has a diecut inner foldover with more sci-fi type images on some pages on images of the musicians/creators on others:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the left of this next pic are the Hope For The Future lyrics, with a hand written note from Paul at the top saying:
    “June 18th - Happy Bday to me”.

[​IMG]

Johnny Reb likes this.
  10. mrjinks

I forgot to mention: this is not JUST the "Music of the Spheres" project, which never had a previous "official" release, but also the "Destiny" Original Soundtrack, which was released (digital only) back in the fall of 2014.

11. mrjinks

Did folks like @Mazzy and @daveidmarx know about this obscure release? I find it remarkable that it sold out before anyone here was seemingly even aware of it...

12. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best Thread Starter

Thanks for the update but gutted that it's already SO. :(

13. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Had no idea about this release. Ah well, as Steven Wright said, "You can't have everything... where would you put it??" Nice looking release though. :righton:

mrjinks and MPLRecords like this.
  14. mrjinks

Well, having finally had a chance to listen to all 6 LPs, I have to sadly report that the pressing quality is pretty poor. I’d noticed what looked like some non-fill when I first examined a couple of the vinyl sides, but even the sides that appeared good have considerable surface noise throughout; constant pops and ticking. The copy I bought was “used”, not new, but I strongly suspect these flaws were inherent from day one at the pressing plant. If anyone else here ever gets a copy, I’ll be curious to see their opinions...

Zongadude and MPLRecords like this.
  15. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I'll be on the hunt for one now! Even with the pressing issue.

(Hopefully at some semblance of a reasonable price.)

mrjinks likes this.
  16. AtlyxMusic

AtlyxMusic Member

Hey guys, Destiny player here.

I just wanted to drop by and say I wish I had known to let you guys know about this vinyl release. We actually knew this was going to happen several months in advance. This music was actually leaked to the internet several months before the vinyl was announced for pre-orders (the leak was part of the reason this vinyl exists) and Bungie sent a cease and desist over it. The leak was VERY popular since people had waited for half a decade to hear this legendary music, so when the leakers took it down, the Destiny subreddit was livid over it. To quell the backlash, Bungie announced they'd be doing a release, which ended up being this vinyl.

In case anyone is curious, McCartney worked on tracks 1, 4, 5, 7, and 8 of Music of the Spheres. Everywhere else McCartney is credited on the vinyl is because they used a melody he wrote (which they actually still do in Destiny 2, how cool is that?).

I don't know what all he did for each track, but I do generally know what he did for Track 01, "The Path." In the opening, there's a Horn melody that's lifted from something McCartney did. This Horn melody itself is edited from a piano melody later in the piece. The piano version is the original version of this melody. Before Paul started working on Music of the Spheres, he had told Martin O'Donnell that if he was going to collaborate with anyone it would be Bob Dylan. So it originally worked in a way to where Paul wrote his own pieces for the game and sent them to O'Donnell and Salvatori, who'd edit them to be used in the game. That piano melody was a whole piece that Paul had been working on. Then one day while Paul was working with Marty, Paul said "what about that Music of the Spheres thing, what if we put some of this into some of that?" and Paul said that he did want to collaborate with Marty because "I love it when we take my music and your music and we put it together and it becomes our music." So Paul started working directly on Music of the Spheres after that.

17. mrjinks

Very informative post. Thanks, and welcome to the forum! :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.