Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

And for me, disk descriptions of two of the disks have my explicit attention.

2. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I will always agree, bonus material is the crux of the biscuit (or digestive biscuit) but is there anyone out there who would say that the remasters of Wild Life and Wings Over America were not the most amazing and uplifting experiences in this whole series? These two archives sound so clear and wonderful compared to their original releases it's like hearing them for the first time.

3. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

and now you have MY attention. :agree:

WildWildHorses49 likes this.
  4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

5. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

6. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Joe is right, it received a re-issue as well as being included as a bonus on the Ram Archive

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Release date being so far away, it could take awhile for the next round of info to come out.

8. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

That’s OK. As much as I dislike the wait, I love the anticipation.

Wingsfan2012 and maccawings like this.
  9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

And Pipes Of Peace!

10. bward

bward Senior Member

Reading the comments on The Fireman material has been very interesting and I can see both sides of the argument over whether they are Archive worthy.

I say, yes, bring it on.

The whole point of the Archives is to better tell the story of these mostly misunderstood albums and give them new context and higher visibility.

And if anything needs all that re-evaluation, it’s the Fireman releases. @maccawings provides a set of facts that are hard to argue against.

For me, Rushes is among my favorite of all McCartney solo work; I hear a very spiritual album that captures Paul’s grief over Linda’s passing.

I find it an extraordinary album.

Perhaps Rushes can be released, not as an Archive, but as a special edition art piece. The packaging of the original album and assorted 12” promos was evocative. Something like this could be sold through the website and small indies, and I’d wager it would be a much sought after piece.

Bonus material could include the 12 minute Rushes suite originally used as preshow material for the 02 concerts, as well as audio and video from the webcast.

Or, Macca could pull a Thrillington and release Rushes on color vinyl at the same time as the other two Fireman albums.

So here’s a vote for an expanded Rushes, if not a full Archive release. And if Rushes makes it, might as well go all in and Archive the other two Fireman albums too.

11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

What I cannot see the price point ever being attractive on a Fireman archive set for the average fan, what I could see is a Pure type book. The Pure 4 CD book was around $35 dollar price point. You could probably combine all three Fireman albums with 4 or 5 cds. A small booklet and the price point could be around $45 - $50 if 5 cd’s. About a third less or better than an Archive set @bward . That price point might be work IMO .

this would give you the 3 albums and 2 disks of bonus material

[​IMG][​IMG]

bward, sws2000 and augustboy like this.
  12. augustboy

augustboy Forum Resident

After reading through everyone's lists of b-sides and known unreleased material, it seems to me that we may be looking forward to a large cache of unknown unreleased material from the Flaming Pie era. The amount of discs in the set leaves me with no other ideas of what could be on there. That to me is incredibly exciting :wiggle:

13. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

I don't want the Fireman albums to be collected — they aren't even remotely the same in intention.

Not every Archive edition has to be humongous: at this point, only Press To Play and Off The Ground suggest that amount of material. Give My Regards To Broad Street would be more akin to Wild Life or even Pipes Of Peace in size and scope. It's likely a Tripping The Live Fantastic set would match the size and scope of Wings Over America, but no other live album comes close.

But why use a weak release as Pure McCartney as the guide for how the remaining albums should be released? Why not use a much better example: Wings Over Europe. Same size, but less pages.

Choba B CCCP? 72 pages at best, with 2 CDs and 1 DVD. Unplugged? 48 pages at best, with 2 CDs and 1 DVD. Rushes? 2 CD and a book that's 32-48 pages. And so on — with three exceptions:
    1. Paul Is Live may reprint the additional tour book, thus raising the page count,
    2. The Liverpool Oratorio and Standing Stone may want to include copies of the performance souvenir booklet, so the page count will be a bit higher, and
    3. Twin Freaks will need to accumulate the printed material for it… badly. Or it will be a 24 page booklet with pictures of the potential covers, discussions of the mixes, etc.

14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Good luck with that

Lewisboogie and joeislive like this.
  15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

too short, I hope you get everything you want!

16. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Been listening to the RRS/WL sets over the last week or so and thoroughly enjoyed them. Sometimes these albums get bad press but there is some great music and performances on them. Will be moving on to Live Europe next and then it is time to go back to Venus and Mars and Speed of Sound. The former seems to get a lot of flak here by I always enjoy listening.

Was really hoping for LT and BTTE this time. I have a suspicion that they will allow some general reassessment. Press To Play would also be welcome.

I don't have a problem with Flaming Pie but it does to me seem to be from a different era. Would really like them to complete the first 'era' now as they are close.

17. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I think a great portion of us wanted BTTE and LT next (I did as well) . But excited about FP none the less with hopes of a quick turn around to the next release

18. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Exactly. Could be an expensive year for Beatles fans, particularly if we get deluxe versions of All Things Must Pass and a Lennon (or two).

andrewskyDE and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  19. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Four days ago it was all still there, but as of today all the deluxe bonus content from the Venus and Mars and Speed of Sound Archive Collections is unavailable now on Spotify in the Netherlands. Is it the same in other countries? Wonder what the strategy behind it is.

20. bward

bward Senior Member

I'd buy it. And I'd buy the limited edition expanded set off the website. You just know there would be one!

21. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Wings At The Speed Of Sound was amazing too. Unbelievably clean and crisp sound especially coming right after Venus And Mud!

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

The best mix of all Wings albums in my opinion.

23. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

A "Venus and Mars" rough mix disc like "Wild Life" had would have been amazing!

andrewskyDE, Macca75, supermd and 4 others like this.
  24. Wingsfan2012

Wings Over America for the first time ever received some sonic clarity from the original muddy sound it always seemed to have. Venus &Mars however should have had the same results, but sadly did not, same muddy sound comes through with maybe a slight increase in clarity.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    RAJ717, omikron and Oyster Boy like this.
  25. Wingsfan2012

Pipes of Peace did not get the remix that Tug of War got, but the album sounds crystal clear now...………..