UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bunnymen nice! Don't think I ever seen one of their CDs in a charity shop.

Guapito likes this.
  2. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

The volunteer did this right in front of my eyes as she amended the My Morning Jacket CD from £2 to £1. Why, god, why?

3. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

That s/t St Vincent is a great find. Her best album, I think.

I carry a tiny Swiss Army Knife on my key ring, and unapologetically slit open tape on jewel cases to check the condition of the discs.

4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

All killer and no filler!

EG.

Guapito likes this.
  5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I see the post-80s stuff fairly often, but not the classic WEA albums on CD.

EG.

MC Rag likes this.
  6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think I've seen their self titled album and Songs to Learn and Sing. But I don't think I've seen any of their albums released this century or any 90s album by them. Weird, because I think they were quite popular back in the day.

MC Rag and Eric_Generic like this.
  7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

What Do You Want To Do.. and Evergreen are BHF staples round this way, but nothing from the 00s.

I got my copy of Songs To Learn.. in a used store, come to think of it. I never bought it at the time.

EG.

Dave S and MC Rag like this.
  8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Maybe Evergreen has turned up, but not the other one. Quite a Bunnymen desert in these parts...

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

It’s so true that you rarely see Echo & The Bunnymen CDs in charity shops. The only one I’ve ever spotted was Songs to Learn & Sing for 50p, which I bought.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Man at C&A and Eric_Generic like this.
  10. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Remasters or the pre-remastered Atlantic discs?

11. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

No idea, it was an attempt at power-cut based humour.

Lost In The Flood and MC Rag like this.
  12. MC Rag

Velvet Underground - beginning to see the light :)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. minibreakfast

A great idea. Might have to get me one of those!

14. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

It’s the Classic SD:

Classic SD

Tiny and utterly unthreatening. Once you have it, you’ll find yourself using it constantly - opening packages, removing tags, trimming drinking straws for kids, snipping wayward threads, pulling splinters, tightening screws on headphones…

I attach mine to my keys using a tiny carabiner so it can be quickly detached:
    S-Biner MicroLock

I could bore about this stuff all day!

Rossman and minibreakfast like this.
  15. minibreakfast

I went for the thriftier option of a two quid box cutter keyring, but if it's no good I'll definitely bear this in mind. Thanks!

16. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Bill Wyman's ~ Blues Odyssey Book . 50p
    A very nice looking book :)

17. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

. I use the edge of a key myself, tastefully and artistically.

18. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I use a very strong and swiftly administered thumbnail.

19. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

Me too, no chance of forgetting to bring it out with me :)

newelectricmuse and Eric_Generic like this.
  20. MC Rag

Took a punt today on a CD called Bessie Smith - Blue Spirit Blues, it's really good and the sound is amazing considering the recordings are from 1928-1933. I love it when I come across totally unknown (to me) stuff the turns out to be a keeper.

Man at C&A, Rossman, Dave S and 4 others like this.
  21. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Hugh Cornwell ~ Beyond Elysian Fields . CD 30p
    Pete Tong and the Heritage Orchestra . CD £1
    Rewind Selecta ~ Roots & Culture . CD 50p
    Aswad ~ Showcase . Cd 50p
    Cliff Richards ~ Rise Up . Cd 30p

Rossman, Dave S, Nancy Luger and 3 others like this.
  22. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

I used to have the Aswad one on vinyl. Some nice 12 inch vocal + dub mixes from the days before they went pop.

Rossman, uncarvedbloke and Dubmart like this.
  23. Nancy Luger

Nancy Luger Forum Resident

Nice one, the Aswad and the Rewind Selecta comp. are great albums.

24. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

I've gotten some great CDs the last few weeks in thrift shops for next to nothing....

A few years ago I was sucked into the whole vinyl craze and yes I get it about the sound and the whole experience of the vinyl and within less than
    3 years I collected 1200 LPs but it was at some cost to my pocket. And recently I have become very cynical to the sellers even at record fairs and
    so on charging prices that are in my opinion way above what the actual LP should be worth in terms of value, especially considering the condition
    of them that I have seen. I have no problem with people trying to make a buck and yes supply and demand but I'm gonna bow out for a while until
    things calm down.

I have come to reassess CDs now. I have a good CD player and the sound is actually brilliant on the vast majority of them. I have come to
    appreciate their beauty as well , in terms of the little booklets that come with them and the artwork even on the CDs themselves which I never
    really paid more attention to before. There was a time about 10 years ago that I was very nearly going to give my entire CD collection (including Beatles,
    Stones. The Who, etc.) to my brother in law (at the time I was sucked into the digital MP3 craze and convenience of having my
    whole collection on a hard drive, but since I have found that most of the fun with music is
    in the the physical product and the overall experience).. i'm so glad now I didn't!

The great thing for me is that my vinyl collection consisted of 90% of music from pre 1990 and now CDs is a great way to get physical music from
    the 1990s and 00s at a really good price. Last week I walked out of a thrift store with nearly 40 CDs for 20 quid and I would be lucky to get one LP
    for that price nowadays. Really great stuff too like U2, Fatboy slim, Portishead, Manic Street Preachers, BLUR, Radiohead, and lots more. There are
    artists that I never seem to see like The Beatles and Stones and in fact any 1960s music but I did pick up a copy of Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic
    Pillow recently for a euro. Also like others have noted I have seen so many copies of The Thrills 'So Much For City' than I care to remember, which
    boggles the mind as it's actually quite a good album all said and done.

It's a great feeling to be able to add to my collection this easy and I am so glad I have re-assessed CDs. And personally I feel in 10 or 20 years from now CDs
    will be more sought after so now is defo the time to pick them up.

It's really thanks to this forum that have re-ignited my passion for CDs and have given me an opportunity to discover all types of music from the 1990s
    and 00s and all sorts of bargains. Heck I even walked out with Bruce Springsteens new album yesterday for one euro.

Long Live CDs :) !!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  25. Rossman

Rossman Forum Resident

That Aswad CD isn't easy to find, it's on my wish list but I've yet to see it at a price that I was prepared to pay. I love early Aswad stuff.

Man at C&A likes this.