Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

It's not difficult at all. You're the one (and the other guy who shall remain nameless) who seems to be offended that I would have the gall to post that it would be nice to have the Live 8 footage included in the box. I made a simple statement, one in which many (most?) Floyd fans would agree. Instead of either ignoring it entirely, or (perish the thought) agreeing with me, you choose to argue. The thrust of your points being that it would be "out of place" or it "doesn't belong." I pointed out that it's simply your opinion. Now you've taken umbrage at that.

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

don't make assumptions, if i didn't actually come out and state it, it isn't the case, right? Remember, we don't speak for others....
    Ive no umbrage whatsoever, you give me too much credit. Its actually quite ok to not have the same view as others, but it shouldn't be a lot to ask to extend the same gratitude toward others views that you are expecting of your own

PDK and superstar19 like this.
  3. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

I wonder if petty, silly, trivial and misperceived slights were how Floyd started coming apart. They seem to happen so easily. :shrug:

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

The single cd set has a very nice flow to it. I picked it up for that reason as much as the material that's missing on the 5 cd collection. It fits nicely in the box. I toyed with the idea of adding another foam dot to the back of the cd book but opted against it since it fits in with the dvds/blu rays

coffeetime and rontoon like this.
  5. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

I agree - excellent sound quality and a nice selection that flows very well. A bargain purchase.

6. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

True, but still: Pink Floyd with Gilmour at the helm, and Waters as a guest. Plus it's also part of the Later Years, no matter what.

7. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Perhaps the rights to publish the performances of the participants belong not to the participants themselves, but to Bob Geldof ?

Sevoflurane, rontoon, PDK and 6 others like this.
  8. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I didn't disagree with your point that it would have been nice to have. I'm just pointing out why it was probably not included.

obi likes this.
  9. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

what a great solo all the early 1994 versions of CN were excellent solos in those first 3-4 months, light show slightly different

10. ropiyas

ropiyas Forum Resident

This looks promising...

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It does. And he last spoke about releasing it 10 years ago.

12. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Wasn't that clip in the Wall Immersion box?

Pinknik, rontoon and Deek57 like this.
  13. H.Timseel

H.Timseel Forum Resident

Are you referring to Rog almighty? I took this as a fan made project.

14. ropiyas

ropiyas Forum Resident

Sadly, it looks like that is the case, yes.

rontoon and JediJoker like this.
  15. triply

triply Forum Resident

I keep getting blown away by how great the early version of High Hopes is. David's almost whispering of "the grass was greener.." lines makes the track so haunting.
    The end guitar solo being played on a regular guitar rather than a lap steel also gives the song an amazing feel. It is easily the highlight of the highlights disc!

With respect to the omission of Live 8, it is purely David's decision. An argument could be made either way for its inclusion but what we got is finally how Pink Floyd want their later years represented.
    Personally, after listening to the demos and unreleased tracks from this set and the other one, I'm now getting to a point where a nicely polished release gives me more joy than bits of non-starters and random noodling audio tracks.
    I now realise that I would probably never enjoy The Big Spliff as much as I would enjoy The Endless River (which in itself is the least enjoyable Pink Floyd album for me).
    I still do enjoy the early versions of songs though - like the early studio version of TDSotM from the Immersion set, the aforementioned early version of High Hopes and of course, the Extraction versions from WYWH and Animals!

About the Later Years box set, there is a little text under the Knebworth CD, DVD, Blu-ray credits about an additional contribution being made by the performers. Does anyone know if that from the time of the performance, i.e. 1990, or is it an additional contribution made recently for including the show on the box set?

gabbleratchet7 and fishcane like this.
  16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Temporary truce for a good cause. Back to normal afterwards.

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, Roger. What part of that clip looked amateurish to you?

18. superstar19 and aphexj like this.
  19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Nordiff Robbins gets a piece of Knebworth, so it's not such a hassle to pay royalties for the rights. They didn't include it because Gilmour didn't want to, plain and simple

croquetlawns likes this.
  20. Jack

Jack Senior Member

fishcane likes this.
  21. Tiago Fernandes

Tiago Fernandes Forum Resident

What's the hold up? 40 years this year.

andrewskyDE, NunoBento and rontoon like this.
  22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

[​IMG]

23. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

:laughup::laughup::laughup::laughup::laughup::laughup::laughup::laughup::laughup::laughup:

24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

This takes some adjusting if you - like me - have just been re-watching the In The Flesh dvd. Yes, I know it's been 20 years already, but ol' Rog looks like a whole different person...

Instant Dharma likes this.
  25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Who doesn't after 20 years, especially at that age?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020