Any fans of The Big Bang Theory on CBS?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

They definitely were aging out their characters so some of the scenarios were not as funny with older guys/women. I also think they had so many co-stars in the later seasons that it seemed like most of the characters would have just one liners of dialog. From what I observed the later episodes were somewhat rushed and not written as well for middle-aged nerds.

Anyway, I may try to catch some of the later episodes in reruns down the road after a few years have passed.

2. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I thought it was a good send off. Certainly better than I'd hoped for given the fairly weak season that had preceded it up to that point.

OK, I don't know what the hell Buffy was doing there, and it did feel a little like fan-service ticking all the boxes - win the Nobel, get the lift working, Penny pregnant, that slap! - but I found the final speech surprisingly emotional.

But all things considered, a more satisfying conclusion to a series than Game of Thrones (which I also enjoyed, but with more reservations).

3. gabacabriel

Took me a while to get used to it, because it so different tonally - but on balance I have preferred the latest season of Sheldon over that of Big Bang.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well to be fair the last few seasons of The Big Bang Theory have not been that great so bettering them should not have been too difficult. :)

I watched a few eps of Young Sheldon. I'm not a regular watcher but the ones I saw were enjoyable. I won't tune in every week but I might catch an ep here or there.

5. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Big Bang was filmed live. The laughs were real.

MikaelaArsenault and Silken like this.
  6. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I went to two of their filmings in October 2010 and August 2012 (the latter taping which soured me on them). The laughs were recorded, no doubt, but probably mixed louder in post than they should have been.

7. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Sadly there are a lot hangers on in hollywood..
    kinda like parasites.. as seen by all writers on there..
    towel boy 1 and coffee girl 3.

8. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I will take your word for it, as you were there.

9. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I saw a rerun of an early episode last night in which Leslie Van Winkel came to the apartment and slept with Leonard. Sheldon got so uncomfortable with the situation. Excellent episode, I think the early years were much better than the later years.

10. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

The series finale seemed like a safe way to end the program. Almost to the point where if the cast has difficulty down the road with landing a decent part in tv/film they can revive The Big Bang Theory just like they have done with other sitcoms like 'Will & Grace' and 'Roseanne'.

Keith V likes this.
  11. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I missed viewing the after-show "Unravelling the Mystery". CBS in the States has it available online, but in Canada it is geo-blocked. Thus far CTV has not made it available online or re-aired it. :-(

Just sayin'

Keith V likes this.
  12. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

For me, the show lost its edge in Season 4 when Raj's sister came back. Not her first appearance that season, but her second later in the season when she began recurring.

Coincidentally, around this time was when Charlie Sheen began having his addiction problems that eventually got him fired from Two and a Half Men.

13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It would been better at ten years then pull the plug..
    sadly some people lives revolved this..
    Wouldn't let go

14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I hadn’t thought of that. Excellent observation.

15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The special wasn’t very good fortunately.

16. gabacabriel

Just caught the season finale of Young Sheldon (we're a bit behind in the UK).

L-O-V-E-D I-T.

17. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I thought it was an intelligently written series. It was like Friends for smart people. Mayim Bialik really does have a PhD which added to the authenticity of the series. It was an example of a show done right with an ending that was almost perfect. My favorite characters didn't end up dying or having their reputations destroyed. What's wrong with wanting a so-called "Disney" ending? I have enough drama, unrealized potential, and thwarted accomplishments in my life. I don't need to witness that second hand on a plasma screen.

alan967tiger, ted321, Silken and 6 others like this.
  18. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I agree.

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Just finished binge-watching the entire final season over the weekend... and although I thought the season was a bit weak overall and I was rather underwhelmed by the finale, I must admit that this footage of the cast getting emotional during their final table read actually brought a tear to my eye...

a customer and Bachtoven like this.
  20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

There was some discussion earlier in the thread about many episodes being shorter than the usual sitcom length.... so just out of curiosity, I did some research and calculations:

- Average Episode Length - 20:22

- Longest Episode - 23:09 ("The Stockholm Syndrome")

- Shortest Episode - 17:45 ("The Allowance Evaporation")

- Out of 279 total episodes, 99 of them are under 20 minutes, and only 4 episodes pass the 22-minute mark.

21. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

It always bothered me when the episodes were less than the 21 minute mark, which is standard for most shows. I'm sure they could have extended the scenes or perhaps inserted a scene to make shorter episodes 21 min. I wonder if the network wanted shorter episodes so they could rake it more $$$ from ads.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I always felt like their episodes were missing a third act — they would get to the end and I’d invariably say, that’s it?

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Not to mention that some episodes begin with a "previously on the BBT" recap, which reduces the amount of actual new footage by another 30 seconds or so.

24. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

...still prefer Young Sheldon.

davidb1 likes this.
  25. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

It is funny and no laugh track.

jerol

Hymie the Robot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.