Neil Peart - RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darvit, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Love Presto. Very consistent and one of their albums with the most songs that all could have been the "lead track." Starts the move back toward something with a little more edge with the rocking Show Don't Tell. And yet finishes with a sensitive tune like Available Light that fits with things like The Garden. Great tour, too.

2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Thank you for posting this - these long form interviews with Neil have been my main item of consumption since he passed and while it is hard to listen to them for obvious reasons, I feel like it is necessary and important to make sure his thoughts and works are heard as much and as often as possible because he was truly one of the greats

3. Python

Python Forum Resident

So interesting to read all the wildly divergent opinions on (at least in the most-recent posts) the latter-day Rush albums...for what it's worth (which is nothing), I think Presto is a weaker Rush album, with crappy production but also some weaker songs ("Superconductor" - yuck; "Chain Lightning"), though without a doubt some great ones as well ("The Pass," "Scars," "Red Tide," the title track, "Available Light")...I think Vapor Trails is one of their best all time, with the major drawback being the inexplicable lack of solos from Alex...ah, I'm too drunk to go on, I'll just say Roll The Bones is either big hit ("Dreamline," "Ghost Of A Chance," "The Big Wheel") or big miss (stupid title track, "You Bet Your Life," "Neurotica"), Test For Echo is just kind of solid from start to finish without any major highs or lows (though I do really like "Driven," "Resist" and "Dog Years," wish they'd played it live,) and I think Counterparts is pretty solid as well.

4. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

There's more of these than one might expect too.

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Nice to see some love for Snakes & Arrows. My favourite of the later years.

6. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

While I love TFE and VT as well, I would agree and like S&A the best of the later years. TFE has sentimental value to me as it’s the first Rush album I bought new when it came out and the first tour I saw, but S&A is just a more consistent, stronger album overall. Love it.

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  7. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Yes . My friend actually caught one on the Vapor Trails tour in Holmdel NJ. Really cool moment.

ytserush likes this.
  8. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I'm normally not one to jump on these sorts of bandwagons, but I agree with this thought. His drums sound pathetically weak on "Clockwork Angels".

basie-fan and Scott Sheagren like this.
  9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Funny, I've listened to Clockwork Angels twice in the last couple weeks since Neil's passing and both times my reaction has been, "Man, this album is great but would be soooo much better if it had better production."

basie-fan and ytserush like this.
  10. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Which was super-cringe-worthy IMO.

As someone who keeps notebooks of ideas, thoughts, lyrics, etc. I would beyond horrified if they were made public. Those are private things, and if the artist in question didn't make them public when alive no one should take it upon themselves to make them public after they die. IMO, of course.

And yes, I feel the same way about demos and songwriting sketches being release posthumously as well. The artist didn't make that stuff available, for a reason.

To me it's just people -- some related, some unrelated -- looking to make an easy buck.

11. BrewDrinkRepeat

IIRC Geddy's bass ran direct to the soundboard, and he heard himself via the monitors or (in later tours) the in-ears. But he wanted something behind him on-stage so he started filling the space with... stuff. Hilariously unnecessary stuff. :)

12. BrewDrinkRepeat

IMO it's the greatest rock band documentary to date, by no small margin.

ytserush and mikedifr0923 like this.
  13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Like washing machines?

basie-fan and BrewDrinkRepeat like this.
  14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Dryers actually.

Gary likes this.
  15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Right!!!

I was at the Toronto SARS concert, headlined by the Rolling Stones and Rush had dryers behind them with t-shirts spinning in them. When their set was done, they threw the shirts to the audience.

I was like a mile away, they had large screens so you could see something. Crowds around the souvenir booths made sure that you couldn't get close to buying a shirt. What a zoo!

Apparently they had finished a tour and had to get all their equipment out of storage.

16. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

17. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy.

I remember hating Snakes and arrows when first hearing it in 2007.
    Then after a few listens after that it’s one of my favorites.there are a few clunker but does not take away from the many great ones.Now counterparts is growing on me more then it did.for me test for echo and vapor trails are the ones I listen to the least

Instant Dharma likes this.
  18. Scott Sheagren

I know Right!
    It’s a rocking album all the way through.to me the most underrated album they have.

19. Scott Sheagren

It’s an amazing album and the last one that will ever be a Rush release.The album needs Justice!

20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Snakes and Arrows was one of the first full Rush albums I ever heard, younger and getting into music seriously so it is an interesting perspective as even though it isn't an album talked about as much in the grand scheme of Rush albums I always will have a special place in my library for it

Far Cry is a total jam, and based on how it was a tour staple every tour following the album I can tell they loved jamming on it too - great guitar riff.

I know after the pure raw rock of Vapor Trails it comes across as a more mellow album but "Far Cry", "Workin' Them Angels", "We Hold On", "Spindrift", etc. are all fantastic

21. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Resist came up on shuffle tonight. Definitely one of my favorites from their later era (post Subdivision for me!). The acoustic version in their live concerts was incredible.

22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Rush is one of the few groups with a long touring history and varying set list that releasing full shows is needed.

ytserush and Scott Sheagren like this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Listening to Snakes Live. They had something special. Great setlist, amazing performances.

ytserush and Scott Sheagren like this.
  24. Serapis Bey

Serapis Bey Forum Resident

As a few of you may be aware, I've mostly been active here at SHF for Rush and Tool threads. They are my besties. But Rush was a formative influence on my life and I couldn't even begin to communicate how much Neil's death has impacted me. So I never bothered to log on and contribute, preferring instead to read all of your wonderful tributes and reminiscenses. Apologies to all the hardcore Rush fans whose posts I didn't "like". There have been some absolutely beautiful accounts that moved me to tears, and I have thoroughly enjoyed many of the off-the-beaten-path videos related to Rush/Neil that I had not seen before.

But I'm somewhat surprised that one in particular hasn't been posted yet and I think you all would get a kick out of it (particularly at this sad time.) When I was a wee lad in college back in 1993 there was a small blurb in the back of my college newspaper indicating that Rush would be at a ceremony in Boston known as the "Musicians of the Millenium Award". Bear in mind this was before the age of the internet when such blurbs might have been checked out for their veracity. But I was such a Rushhead that I decided that me and my Rush-bud should go. I won't reveal where I live except to say that me and my bud drove 32 hours straight to see them that fine day. It was a road-trip worthy of a movie script. After getting 2 hours of sleep at the motel we trotted out to the Harvard Square in preparation for the ceremony. There was a block of time early that morning when all of us rag-tag Rush fans began to suspect it was all a put-on and that we had been had. Bad enough for the locals, but imagine how humiliated me and my friend were feeling after having driven 32 hours straight? By the grace of Cygnus, we were not to be disappointed. The ceremony soon commenced and we were treated to the one and only "Rush Roast" I have ever seen, standing only feet away from my heroes. As you can see, all the members of Rush were good sports, and it should be no surprise that the majority of my camera time was spent on Neil, often wondering about what he was thinking. We got to meet Steve and Mandy Streeter and other hardcore Rush fans that day. It was one of the best days of my life. Glorious. I hope you all get a kick out of it.

25. BrewDrinkRepeat

Neil looks like he's wearing the same vest as he wore in that photo of him on the island... ;)