Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Black Elk, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Probably.

Sale items from the master list should ring up correctly at 50% off despite the lack of sticker.

2. voxstarstream

voxstarstream Forum Resident

For those of you wondering, the 10% member discount does indeed stack on the 30% off CD sale. Having so much stuff already, it was kind of difficult for me to find music I didn't already have. I chose the latest installment of Dylan's "Bootleg Series" (Volume 15: Travelin' Thru) and the recent archive release of Coltrane material "Blue World". Got both titles for $34 (tax included) - what a bargain!!

dee likes this.
  3. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

I brought a stack of cds to the checkout but I ended up leaving with nothing because they were not taking 30% off the actual prices. I had cds that had a barcode that said, for example, $9.99 but had a $7.99 sticker. I expected that the discount would be taken off the $7.99 but it rang up as $6.99. I had one with a $4.99 price sticker that rang up as $4.99 etc. I expected items to be discounted off the actual prices.

TheMovieRad likes this.
  4. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

The %off CD sale is always off of list price, not on top of a sale price sticker.

davers likes this.
  5. voxstarstream

Yes, the 30% is off the original stickered price (original list price). But like I said, if you have the membership card it will save you an additional 10%. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I bought 2 recently released titles today at a fairly significant discount (see my post above).

SJP likes this.
  6. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Agree, the additional 10% off stacks on top of the 30% discount.

I was just pointing out that the rules of the game for this type of B&N discount have always been off of the list price, not a sale price sticker.

7. voxstarstream

Yep. But if you can find some stuff you don't have / really want, then you can potentially get a good deal.

davers and SJP like this.
  8. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Quoting myself only to point out that this is a terrific album. The songs are unbelievable. The pink vinyl looks stunning but the pressing is on the noisy side when it comes to crackle, at least on side A (side B so far sounds perfect...WTF???). Worth $11.49. I'd be ticked off if I spent over $20.

And for what it's worth, a couple albums pulled me back. I was surprised to see Roger Waters "Is This The Life..." still there so I scored it. Also picked up the box set for The XX "I See You" which includes 2 CDs, vinyl + 12" single for less than $20. My kids were impressed that I actually owned an album that they knew.

#dadcredibilitypoints

Not so much a modern dad, I still buy vinyl & CDs.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    mrjinks, Jspmike, dee and 2 others like this.
  9. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I agree that Aimee's album is terrific. I had the CD already, but at half off, wanted the vinyl too. If I recall, my copy is pretty quiet - may be worth cleaning it if you haven't done that yet.

I also bought Xx "I See You", but only the single LP. I saw the Deluxe box set, but I thought it was priced at $59.99 retail and I wasn't up for spending $30 on it.

SJP likes this.
  10. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Traffic as usual was bad on the I-15 so I hit the Escondido BN.
    Picked up Weezer's Everything Will Be Alright In The End for $11.38.

11. voxstarstream

Listening to Coltrane CD "Blue World" now...absolutely brilliant! Man, I can't get over how good this music is!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    hutlock likes this.
  12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Agree, need to give that a try.

Strange, my copy was sticker at $39, less than $20 with discount.

13. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

No luck ordering things, so far. Tried to have Peter Gabriel - Us and Don Maclean - American Pie shipped to a local store so I could get the 1/2 off discount, but email messages the next morning said that they couldn't be ordered. Which makes sense, as the chain is obviously liquidating these 50% records.

14. DLD

DLD Senior Member

I ordered, and received about week later, a couple of 50% off albums out of stock at all Dallas area stores.

Down in Baton Rouge for the weekend, if anyone in the area is interested, the Perkins Rowe store is absolutely jam packed with discount titles. Didn't think I could find any more that I wanted after perusing the Dallas area's 6 stores but:

Lucinda Williams, Down Where The Spirit Meets The Bone
    Chris Isaak, Forever Blue
    Ray LaMontagne, Till The Sun Turns Black

$46.70 (inclusive of their crazy high 9.95% sales tax)

black sheriff likes this.
  15. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Picked up the Kinks Arthur 2CD since it was 30% off.
    Still came to $15 because of sales tax. First time I listened to this album.

hutlock likes this.
  16. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I just checked the inventory in the warehouse and the Peter Gabriel is out of stock. However the Don McLean album is showing in stock. I ran into the same problem a couple of days ago ordering a Foo Fighters album to my store. I would suggest going back to your local store and explain your disappointment with your order being cancelled. They may give you free shipping to send the Don McLean to your home and I would suggest having the Peter Gabriel manifested from another store (quite a few stores still have them according to my stores computer).

RubenH, Dignan2000 and hutlock like this.
  17. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Thanks. Managed to find the Don McLean LP at the Livingston, NJ store, yesterday. Will try your suggestion to get the Peter Gabriel manifested.

Jspmike and hutlock like this.
  18. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Wish I had known about this sooner, was still able to grab the Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile album and the Sleater-Kinney "No Cities To Love" exclusive with the autographed print for $22 with tax. I'd have dropped over $100 if rent wasn't fast approaching

19. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I just tried at a Manhattan store with unstickered Pink Floyd dark side of the moon and meddle. Took them to a guy working there and he said “we were pretty thorough with marking the right things” and then he checked each one on his computer and said they weren’t included in the sale. He didn’t seem to think what I was saying about the albums being on sale in other stores was true.

20. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Wish my store had Endless Wire!!!

21. DLD

DLD Senior Member

I've now been to 7 B & Ns and have yet to see a Meddle or Dark Side on sale. I'd so be ALL OVER Meddle.

22. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

I picked up a few Pink Floyd discs in the store and ordered a few others. I think the only ones available are Saucerful of Secrets, More, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Obscured by Clouds, and Relics. Piper at the Gates and Meddle were not available (maybe I was too late to the party on those) and not Dark Side or later.

23. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I to
    I got a DSOM the first weekend the sale was on at 50% off(sticker on cover) along with Rush/Moving Pictures and David Bowie/Scary Monsters.
    I even saw an George Harrison Material World and ATMP stickered as well but already had those.

dee likes this.
  24. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Floyd's A Collection Of Great Dance Songs (or whatever the title is) was also available (already had it) at several of the stores I went to.

dee likes this.
  25. I don't know if you've tried this yet, but on the advice of a very helpful Forum member I went to my local B&N and with the assistance of a staff member ordered a few LPs from the warehouse that they didn't have in-store. An additional LP is being sent to me directly from a store in IN.

dee, hutlock and Jspmike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.