Do any cable shows feature uncensored F bombs yet?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lc1995, Jan 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

A&E sometimes shows movies uncensored, and if I recall correctly, some of their series too.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have the list of "Words You Can't Say on AMC" (from the network), but the list itself would be banned from the group, so you'll have to use your imagination.

One memorable one: you can say "god," and you can say "dammit," but you can't say the two in a row.

F*** is right out. S*** can be used to limited degrees if it's an expletive, like "don't hand me that bulls****," but not if it literally refers to excrement. You can tell someone, "stop being such a prick," but you can't use slang for certain body parts.

I think HBO, Showtime, and all the streaming services get a free pass because they're pay services. Surprisingly, Apple has said they don't want excessive sex or violence (basically asking for PG-13 content for the shows they produce), but they get really foul in terms of the F word and so on, judging by The Morning Show.

MikaelaArsenault and forthlin like this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Last night, SyFy showed "The Hitman's Bodyguard" at 8:30 pm, and ALL the M-F-er's were intact!
    I was surprised..and a little impressed!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

You're only up to F?

MikaelaArsenault and goodiesguy like this.
  5. Dylanos

Dylanos Forum Resident

Has been used on network TV in Britain and Canada for YEARS.

goodiesguy, Adam9 and kevywevy like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

all the new show on the paramount network have f-bombs strewn throughout them.

68 whiskey and yellowstone, both have f-bombs in them along with nudity and lots of sex.

lc1995 and jlocke08 like this.
  7. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Many Pommie and Aussie shows are ok about airing the word. Peep Show being one.[classic comedy.]

goodiesguy likes this.
  8. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

First episode of Project Blue Book's new season on History Channel let one fly.

sixtiesstereo and Exit Flagger like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I haven't heard any YET!

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, it's as if those are different countries that don't have to comply with the Federal Communications Commission' 1934 Communications Act. This only covers broadcast TV, so it was ruled back in the 1970s that closed-circuit transmissions -- like cable TV and satellite -- did not have to adhere to those rules. So even back then, you could have X-rated and R-rated content on HBO, Showtime, and so on.

PBS has shown a little bit of nudity and a limited amount of foul language in the past, but only late at night and only with a lot of disclaimers, and it has to be for "artistic" reasons. When the Monty Python shows were aired in the U.S. starting in 1974, they were generally not censored at all. (CBS notoriously did cut Monty Python & The Holy Grail on their Friday Night Movie in the 1970s, but that stunt was never repeated.)

11. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder why cable shows weren't using profanity earlier.

I think they must have started in recent years to compete with Netflix

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

In many cases, advertisers stopped them because they felt that if a scene right before a break used a lot of 4-letter language, and then it went right to their commercial, it would be embarrassing or might annoy their potential customers. AMC relaxed over a period of about 10 years to the point where they're getting pretty close to an MA TV rating, which is essentially an R. But there are still lines they won't cross.

Even HBO and Showtime -- which could potentially do anything they want -- has limits, particularly for violence and sex. Not so much for language, unless it's hate speech or anything racially-motivated or sexist.

13. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Deuce is an HBO show and in the pilot it featured full frontal nudity, but not so much after that.

I watch a Starz show which has had a few horror movie level killings in it.

14. Vikings28

Vikings28 Forum Resident

Geez we have the F word , S word , N word , R word , C word , we sound like a group of 3rd graders in the playground telling the teacher on someone.

15. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I caught that. It just kind of came and went, but it was really noticeable.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Amazingly, Project Blue Book -- which I thought was a mediocre "period X-Files" at best -- won an ASC Award for Best TV cinematography over the weekend. WTF?

17. Hey, talk to the Gorts - they make the rules here about no profanity, not us.

18. sixtiesstereo

Actually, it just started it's second season (first season was terrific) and they seem to have boosted the budget
    somewhat. It's an excellent series, and if you're familiar with Hynek and his remarkable legacy, it's very accurate.

19. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I was thinking of this thread when I started (delayed) watching the current season. The first F bomb took longer than I expected and it was used to good effect.

Margo and Elliot contemplating their situation. To those not knowing the show, they are the most selfish and vain character in about any show ever. Landing 300 years in the future, realizing all their friends are dead, including their previous selves, discussing how hot those two where Margo agrees commenting, I'd Fck our corpses. :laugh:

Surprised SiFi gets away with that during prime time, 9pm here.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Shawn likes this.
  20. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

That was how I was when I first heard it on the late-night showing of Suits. I was so used to their use of the s-word, but bleeping the f-word, that when I heard it, I was "wait, what??!!"

21. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

It is beautifully shot.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Aaaaaa... it all feels like badly-done X-Files Lite to me. The first season looked cheap and crappy. I tuned in only because Bob Zemeckis was one of the show creators, but it was pretty lame until the last couple of episodes.

23. sixtiesstereo

But, unlike X-Files, this is based on TRUE events experienced by J. Allen Hynek. When he was head of
    Project Blue Book in the fifties, his job was to discredit UFO sightings, which he did ("Swamp Gas") but
    as time went on, he realized the "truth" and eventually led the UFO movement. Plus, he's the person
    who laid out the four types of UFO contacts, including "close encounters of the third kind". So this really
    isn't like the X-Files at all (to me). As it says on the screen at the beginning, "based on true
    events". Plus, Spielberg gave Hynek a brief cameo in "Close Encounters":
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    daca likes this.
  24. sixtiesstereo

And in last night's second episode, they did it again. "What? This cinematic evidence of alien f**king life?"
    They're sort of pushing the envelope if they're doing it every week. But it makes for good realism.

Shawn likes this.
  25. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I love the show, but there are way too many antagonists. I would like to see a (the) showrunner(s) focus more of the work of J. Allen Hynek, his completely implausible “findings”, the men in black and the US Air Force’s cover up.

I can do without the Russian arc.

Vidiot and sixtiesstereo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.