'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

let him listen in peace! :shh:

Aeryn Sun, RyeB, Admerr and 11 others like this.
  2. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

No no no, he NEEDS to hear the issues!!!

3. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

Devιl's voice :)

dastinger likes this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Yup, I hear it. It’s unfortunate but it’s still a great listen. I don’t own any other copy of this album, is that on the tapes or unique to this series?

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thought I would post this again as I saw some feedback still wondering about these. This is no doubt delaying other releases as well.

Joti Cover likes this.
  6. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

Fantastic album that one and hearing a blind guy play 2 or more instruments at the same time is amazing.

7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Anyone doing the Grammy's tonight? Just wishing all of the Jazz nominees the best of luck. I personally know they are somewhat rigged from experience and pretty much frown on them. Back in the day I was fortunate to have a pretty good track record predicting the outcomes and would buy the titles heavy in advance that I thought would win and affect sales. Not that I had any inside track, mind you...

When I look at what has happened to the world of popular music per say and what I actually listen to, I still feel I have good tastes in music, at least to my ears...ha!

Well my Tone Poet title that I have on tap to start my musical afternoon off is none other than the incredible, downright amazing, and a bit breathtaking all at the same time...Sam Rivers "Contours", can I get an Oh Yeah from the crowd please!

8. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I can't usually sit through those award shows :blah: :D. But speaking of recent jazz, I just discovered Concentric Circles by Kenny Barron Quintet on Blue Note. It has a post-bop feel with some nice downtempo tunes....but unfortunately, not on vinyl. Maybe someone here could give Joe a nudge?

Xulio, Greenmonster2420 and scotti like this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

1) A definitive conclusion hasnt been reached as to what is causing the issues

2)Pretty much unique to this series

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  10. Vinyl Fan 1973

What a stain on an otherwise fantastic series and I say that because it seems it’s not isolated to this release. With the amount of care that was put into producing this series, why would they allow issues like this to go to market? I have a hard time believing they didn’t hear this prior to release.

11. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

That is a big can of worms. Kevin Gray says it's on the tapes, but there's no definitive conclusion. I choose to believe what Kevin Gray says, others don't.

And it is not unique to this series. There are issues on BN80 and even Sunday Mornin' by Grant Green that, even though it's a Blue Note, it's edited by a boutique label.

So yeh, no one will ever know what's causing the issues probably. For me it's not an issue since it doesn't bother me at all.

Swann36, mktracy, recstar24 and 3 others like this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Having the issue on the original tapes makes more sense than the team knowingly releasing something that contained an error created in production.

I’m just starting to buy titles from this series, so what are some of the titles to avoid?

13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Hey, we all hear a bit different and I for one will respect what is said and listen. I feel it's the tapes and no way Kevin. Maybe some of the current released Blue Note titles with piano are not for everyone. It's a shame sea sick pills won't help (joking).

14. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

They really all sound great so I would suggest avoiding only those where you don't prefer the music. I have all except the Cassandra Wilson record. To see how they are trending, visit Blue Note's Tone Poet Series: Poll.

SJR, Twinsfan007, MisterBritt and 4 others like this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I would say be careful and digest what folks have to say. But there are many of us, like me, that have every title and enjoy them big time, of course some better then others...and for me, that's more about what the music has to offer not just the sound as well.

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Very cool, thank you. I just preordered Hank Mobley Poppin’ and I cannot wait to hear it.

SJR, scotti and paulmock like this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Very true, the performances I’ve heard so far are stellar.

SJR, scotti and paulmock like this.
  18. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

None. Folks who are bothered by it say that Black Fire is the worst one so if the issues don't take away your enjoyment of that one, then I would not avoid any.

Totally agree, I respect whoever hears it and is bothered by it. I do hear it, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment.

Sea sick pills :laugh:

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

At this point the best course of action is to write BN and those involved. The entire thing has became circular and non-productive at fixing the issue. Perhaps its being addressed idk.

The best one can do is to communicate any issues with one another and for those who are bothered by it, take a pass.

20. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Just got this off Amazon. Thanks.

Its the Andew Hill Black Fire lp.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    scotti likes this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome and hope you enjoy it much (that cover is beautiful)! Going to get my famous hot wings on the grill right now, and this sounds like a great album to have on to help heat up that pit. Nice having a daylight basement where I can open up the door, attend to the pit and still have the music going to keep me company. Mr. Rivers will still be on deck...time for some Sunday afternoon beverages and good music.

And if may pay my condolences to one of my favorite icons of all time...Mr. Peanut. Waking up this morning and hearing about this on TV was quite the bummer. And my luck (since he fell off the cliff), on the next commercial Planters will bring him back as a jar of peanut butter. No I have not lost it, never had it to lose.

timzigs and Greenalishi like this.
  22. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Wasn’t there a Music Matters Black Fire? Is the problem audible on that one, too?

23. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

There was not. Making it hotly anticipated.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Music is sound. I scratch my head how folks separate the two.

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Sorry, meant to say sound quality, always want the best there can be, but can tolerate a flaw here in there to enjoy the music itself. Cool?

mpayan likes this.