Dave Clark Five All The Hits Coming 1/24/20

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, Nov 12, 2019.

1. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Thanks for these. Much appreciated. And in the main I think that I am hearing these tracks for the first time. Amazing when you consider how popular the band was.

My first memories of the Dave Clark 5 stem from a batch of singles that I played as a young child courtesy of my parents. I was introduced as five or six year old to She Loves You, Day Tripper, Help, Ticket To Ride, by The Beatles, a Donovan EP, We Shall Overcome by Joan Baez and a cache of other gems. Bits and Pieces was amongst these and was played to death so I do have a long standing connection. However, while I have just about everything that has appeared by The Beatles and have also investigated Donovan and Joan Baez, the Dave Clark 5 are only known to me by one of the greatest hits CDs that came out decades ago. I have the film on DVD but I would struggle to name a single album title by the band. That probably speaks volumes about the decisions made to keep their back catalogue under lock and key. And frankly is a great shame.

I have a double CD by a Midlands band called Breakthru (who only put out one single in the sixties) which probably has more tracks than the DC5 compilation I have and it also has a large and informative booklet. Why no DC5? Answers on a post card! That last sentence gives away my age, so I suspect I will have to make do with posts!

Hep Alien and Billo like this.
  2. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

3. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

and while 'borrowing' the Sgt Pepper guitar hook they at least put it to good use here with nice harpsichord work and great bass guitar too !

4. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Same here. They could be the greatest band in the world for all I know is care.

5. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I know what you mean. But there are probably a lot of musicians who produce wonderful music but have shall we say flaws.

They you should never meet your heroes and that you will always be disappointed, but the few I have met have been great. Most recently Neil Innes RIP, but the Pretty Things were nice too when I met them after a gig and so was Roy Wood. It does add to your enjoyment but sometimes you have to separate the music from the person.

goodiesguy, Hep Alien, sennj and 2 others like this.
  6. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I bet there are a good number of much loved 'stars' that if we knew them we would think that about

- I knew a guy who who was a Beatles fan until he met John Lennon while working as a phone repair guy in Weybridge Surrey in the sixties and found him so horrible and rude to him and his workmate the pair walked OUT and told John what they thought of him ! ( I know for a fact this guy DID live and work as a phone repair engineer at Weybridge at the same time John lived there - his wife confirmed his account saying her hubby came home so angry and upset he got RID of ALL his Beatles records and refused to have any in his house !)

I've heard other tales from venue managers - a few who refused to have some bands back !

DJ John Peel never forgave The Byrds after meeting them on their UK tour in the mid sixties...

I'd rather not know any of these figures and just enjoy the music...

you hear this about film and TV stars as well...

goodiesguy, Hep Alien, bob60 and 3 others like this.
  7. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Regarding the "could they/did they play live" thing, it's also kind of strange that the DC5 don't appear to have recorded even one BBC session - making them unique in that era.

Either Breadhead Clark found the standard BBC fee too desultory, or he knew they couldn't cut it.

The same two options could alternatively be used for the reason behind his refusal to put out the catalogue on CD. The "traditional" reason is that he held out for money than any companies wanted to pay. But perhaps he also knew that current evaluation compared to their contemporaries' material, most of their tracks would destroy the myth of DC5 being The Beatles main rivals.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  8. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Interesting about the BBC session fact. Is there any live footage of the playing - NME Pollwinners or such-like?

I don't know their deep cuts at all but on a good day they created a nice racket. Not everyone needs to change the world. It is good that bands like The Troggs and The Creation created a noise to balance those aiming for rock operas and grand concepts.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  9. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

Thank you for this summary, it is very informative; but I still don't understand why DC would restrict CD releases of his music - seeing as he is known as such a "breadhead". He could have made quite a lot of bread, continuously, from the 80s onward. Likewise with his ownership of "Ready Steady Go".

"Ready Steady Go" was repeated in the 1980s by the British TV Channel 4. It was shown on Friday nights and it was great. I presume Dave Clark owned the rights at this time, because in most of the episodes I remember watching, there was rather a lot of Dave Clark Five footage; footage obviously not from Ready Steady Go and cut into the shows in an unsubtle way.

DC sounds an awful character. There are stories of him bragging about the money he made and waving wads of cash in people's faces. I can't think of any other pop star who did that. I love the DC5's big hits - they are much-loved 1960s classics, but the group's output overall is in no way comparable to the Beatles'. I know they fared differently in America, but in Britain they were essentially a two-hit wonder: "Glad All Over" and "Bits And Pieces". The British public would struggle to remember anything else by them (apart from, perhaps, "Everybody Knows".)

10. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Peel met them in California in 66 when he was working there but the part about they were rude to him is true, although I think he continued to like their music which was right up his alley.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Just looked on Amazon Prime and it seems that the entire recorded legacy is available for streaming .
    Thankyou Dave Clarke for seeing sense at last , perhaps now you would consider putting together a boxset together with outtakes , lost tracks and above all else annotated sleeve notes , perhaps in a classy booklet .

Hep Alien and vinnie like this.
  12. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

I'm interested in this as well. I've also noticed listings for what appears to be a single LP version of this, but any announcements I've seen speaks of only a 2LP vinyl release.

Does anyone know if there will be two different vinyl versions of All the Hits - a single LP version and a double LP version?

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

any stereo?...

14. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

Two versions, 16 and 28 tracks: vinyl and CD.
    Only the most recent tracks are stereo. Unfortunately, the classic stuff is mono, even though the Starline best-of in Britain had stereo versions, of which Dave is reportedly not a fan.

Michael and ptijerm like this.
  15. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification, Bill. Much appreciated.

16. Michael

too bad for us... a missed opportunity...pox on it! i have enough MONO DC5..

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

Timjosephuk and Michael like this.
  18. Michael

19. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

The DC5 being The Beatles' main rivals in that early period -- 1964 ~ 1965 -- isn't exactly a myth ... it had nothing really to do with music but with rather record sales IIRC.

So I'd guess Clark's refusal to put the material out on CD, to my mind anyway, had to have been more a money decision, dementia or whatever. Of course, the opportunity to maximize profit from the catalog probably came and went some time in the '80s or '90s I'd think. Little late now it seems.

20. Michael

way too late now...

Timjosephuk and EdogawaRampo like this.
  21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I even thought it was late when -- when was it...maybe the early '90s -- that History of The Dave Clark Five cd set was released (good, by the way). I found out many years later that a series of commemorative 45 rpm singles with picture sleeves were pressed then. I bought a bunch and was treated to some of the worst SQ and mastering ever. I don't remember if I still have then somewhere or got rid of them. Only listened once. They stunk.

danveryan and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

everything stinks about Dave Clark...I think he's nuts...remember those crazy infomercials?...he was like on another planet on his way to another...geez.
    he has NOT been fan friendly.

EdogawaRampo and danveryan like this.
  23. danveryan

danveryan Forum Resident

The History of the Dave Clark Five always sounded good to me and 50 songs seem to cover all their best material.

dasacco likes this.
  24. danveryan

danveryan Forum Resident

He seems like a role model for the Gene Simmons marketing scheme.

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

LOL, yea right!