Classic TV shows you loved but simply can't watch anymore

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

That's an opinion you don't come across all that often. I am the complete opposite I much prefer the Larry David years over the last two years. Mind you there are episodes from the last two seasons I really like but overall I find S8 and S9 are drops in quality from what I feel are the peak of the show which is S3 to S6.

Jack Lord, utopiarun, Keith V and 4 others like this.
  2. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I have been through a phase of that and have started to check them out again in recent years. I've always been of the opinion that the fun era before Trapper left was the best and the series became too self aware for school. The way I see it now was after so many seasons it became a 70s dramedy that was Alda's personal project and had no connection to the Sid Caesar comedy school represented by Gelbart. Viewed in that light it's kind of like Little House on the Prairie... good production values.... experienced hands on deck... stories marked by earnestness and good intentions... A decent show. Oh and Mike Farrell is no Dick Sargent.... or maybe he IS!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  3. BeatlesObsessive

I know it's wrong but Larry David has made me laugh since he used to do commentaries on Fridays. Just setting Jason Alexander loose on a character inspired by David is like the fulfillment of very sitcom in history! Still I can never watch Curb in mixed(female) company!

4. BeatlesObsessive

Yeah they have a fingerprint but watching this loud braying Lee J. Cobb and Zero Mostel like dudes ham it up is still a joy for men of a certain age. May not watch em anymore but always enjoy the yearly marathons!

5. BeatlesObsessive

J.J. was like an ANTI- COMEDIAN... who needed timing when he had what seemed like all the time in the world to drop his punchlines. And ... those lines got..punched...harder than...KEN NORTON tryin' to beat Larry Holmes for the LAST DONUT on the TRAINING TABLE!

Steve Litos and Moshe like this.
  6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

You bet it was!

7. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

MASH. Loved it once. These days some of the episodes are very self-righteous and some seem a little racist too. Their depiction of the Korean people in and around the camp, makes me feel uncomfortable.
    Frank Burns was wonderful.

bpmd1962, fr in sc and Blastproof like this.
  8. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Seinfeld stands up to many repeat viewings so does Python Mash is still great

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I hated David on "Fridays" but in retrospect, I don't know why. I watched the "best of" DVD that came out a few years back and he was one of the few occasionally funny parts of the show!

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

The series' very brief 1st season isn't very good - they didn't get going until S2.

Otherwise, I'm in agreement that S8 and S9 are clearly a decline after S2 through S7.

The show was still funny, but it had head-scratching choices and a few genuinely bad shows, like the awful "Puerto Rican Day" episode.

The last 2 years started to veer toward self-parody. I suspect that if they'd not pulled the plug after S9, the show would've eventually became pretty weak - maybe never bad but a shadow...

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

That was great. Thanks for finding this. The polar opposite of unwatchable.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

batman - so hokey, and i wouldn't have missed it for the world when i was a kid.

combat - i now have hard time watching anything that, for all intents and purposes, glorifies war.

the monkees - i really and truly thought, at my young age, that they were a real band.

All Down The Line, rod and Blastproof like this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

The thing with ' Batman ' was it was never intended to be anything other than it was. Just a laugh.
    " Same bat time , same bat channel "
    I' d rather watch it than almost any of the Batman movies.

14. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Lost in Space used to bring me running - when I was 6. I tried it again when my kids were that age, but they couldn't stand it. It is so utterly stupid. Dr. Smith would have been killed and eaten if those people had any sense. I love the iconography of the show - the robot, the Jupiter II, the music, and the logo all mean good things to me, but that's it.

Batman is another, but I still enjoy the show's first season and 1/2. After that, the idea well ran dry. That being said, the Batmobile is the coolest car ever.

Star Trek, too, but it is far more watchable than the first two. The music really stands out to me.

M*A*S*H is still good, but only the episodes without Charles Emerson Winchester. Another cannibal candidate.

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  15. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Small Wonder.
    GI Joe
    He-Man
    Alf
    Head Of The Class
    Family Matters
    My Two Dads

Steve Litos likes this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

I liked Frank Burns but his character was becoming one-note in that he was just a punching bag for Hawkeye and BJ.
    When Winchester was introduced it was clear he could hold his own.

17. I got the complete blu-ray set a few months ago and have been surprised by the level of lameness, with many episodes feeling padded even at 25 minutes or so.

18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

You think that's bad-- try Sanford and Son, which has the same feeling for me; 25 min. feels like several hours.

Jack Lord and BeatlesObsessive like this.
  19. MASH, Star Trek, Star Trek The Next Generation (at least season one), Cheers,

20. Wildest cat from montana

There are many many dud episodes of ' The Twilight Zone ' but there are some great ones.
    If you want check out the current thread about the Forest Whitaker Twilight Zone show. Every episode I've seen so far is dull.

21. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

zzzz. Charles was a bore. The whole show at that point became a morality play. I appreciate your position, I just don't share it.

22. Oatsdad

Those are classic TV shows??? :wtf:

maclen, agundy, Keith V and 1 other person like this.
  23. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Maybe Family Matters. It had a 9 season run. The rest...ok...not classic.

24. Vikings28

Vikings28 Forum Resident

Dont see why not, Besides the Cosby show is still on . What happen in 2015 had nothing to do with the Dukes.

Keith V likes this.
  25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Alf was shown in the UK, so it must have had some success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.