Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I thought V&M had a fair amount of bonus content but more is better

2. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Rushes is one of my favorite Macca projects as well. Whether it be under the archive banner or just a deluxe set I think it deserves to be released with the pre show music, the promo versions and the webcast as well.
    I'd be way more excited for this than for some of his albums under his own name.
    So plus one here on a Rushes set.

3. Wiserforthetime

I was thinking of the book set packages that came with pure, good evening NY and collector edition of New for the fireman as well. It would keep the price down. It makes sense. Only instead of the albums collectively I was thinking Rushes could have it's own packaged in that style and contain the album, promo versions, pre show music, webcast.
    There isn't much to add to EA deluxe set but many fans missed that set so condense the packaging to the book style and just reissue those discs in it.
    This just leaves SOSF which doesn't have the material for a set. The only logical choices is shove it in with off the ground like thrillington was in ram or just a straight reissue on CD and color vinyl.

4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

This is the audio with a full description of the webcast event. Very interesting.

5. Wiserforthetime

Thanks for posting that! I didn't know it was out there.

6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

The description of the disguise reminds me of both 'Daft Punk' and 'Sia'.

I sincerely hope, based on what was said about the 3 cameras recording, that Paul has the performance in HQ ready to be released one day.

7. PassionPlay

PassionPlay Forum Resident

Are you sure Rushes is still on iTunes? I went looking for it today and only found Electric Arguments

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

hmmm, was most certainly there the day I posted but I went back today after reading your post and could not find it

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Tug of War is still waiting to get a fresh remaster.

Lewisboogie and RAJ717 like this.
  11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

In Siegen, Germany 1999 he also had a Fireman rarity. If memory serves me it was called “Chainsaw Man” a video of Paul playing different instruments on different screens that played during his art exhibit there. Also included Paul wielding a chainsaw . Video has never surfaced to my knowledge some audio recorded has snuck out

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  12. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Wasn't there an issue with the master tapes during the Archive production for Tug Of War?
    I believe that was the reason the black triangle mix was included: they did the remix from whatever they could find, and then found the masters after the production was too far in.

13. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

I was thinking more of a hybrid version: be consistent by offering the same dimensions for the cover but have far less pages — the reason being that a lot of the cost issues may likely have to do with the cost that you can't ship the Archives with a box of regular CDs due to the dimensions, but you could (in much the same way they do with the coloured vinyl) put two or three of these releases together and ship a few copies of each in the same box. Or packaging them with other smaller sets. Then the retail cost would be more moderate, the fan base buying them would likely be the same, and the copies sold wouldn't be anywhere as prohibitive to making them as if they were massive sets like the last few Archives that were released.

And there'd be quite a few of them: Wings Over Europe, Wings Landing, Choba B CCCP, Unplugged, Rushes, Standing Stone, Run Devil Run, Working Classical, Back In The World, Twin Freaks, Live At The Amoeba, Ecce Cor Meum, Electric Arguments, Good Evening New York and Kisses On The Bottom are easy options — especially since most of those will be maximum 4 discs in length (if that… only Back In The World might be more).

By contrast, you can have "bigger" deluxe sets for:
    • London Town – "Mull Of Kintyre," the sessions in the Caribbean, the change in band, Wings' Greatest
    • Back To The Egg – new players, the sessions, the promotion, the tour, and the breakup of Wings
    • Give My Regards To Broad Street – the soundtrack, the Rupert sessions, and the promotion (maybe even a reprint of the separate book as well) [likely Flowers sized] — 3 CD + 1-3 video disc [Disney depending]
    • Press To Play – a book about the sessions, reproduction of the press kit, information about all the later sessions, information about All The Best! [likely Flowers sized] — 4 CD + 1 DVD
    • Tripping The Live Fantastic – repeating Wings Over America, a book about the recordings, a book of tour photos, and a book about the tour itself, plus maybe a reprint of the tour book (a la Wings Over Europe) — 3 CD + 1 DVD
    • Paul McCartney's Liverpool Oratorio – the move into classical, the writing of it, who the players were, the lyrics to the movements, the debut's performance booklet, etc. (maybe Pipes Of Peace-sized) — 3 CD + 1 DVD
    • Off The Ground – the sessions, the filming of the promo films, being on Saturday Night Live, promoting the album, maybe even the second MTV show — 5 CD + 2 DVD
    • Paul Is Live – a smaller version of the previous two live sets, but same concept — 3 CD + 1 DVD
    • Flaming Pie – the sessions, the promotions, the loss of Linda
    • Driving Rain – live after Linda, the sessions in California, the cover concept, the New York performance [maybe Flowers sized] — 3 CD + 2 DVD
    • Chaos And Creation In The Backyard — "Tropic Island Hum," the sessions, being at Abbey Road once more, the push towards a Grammy [likely Tug Of War sized] — 3-4 CD + 1 DVD
    • Memory Almost Full – the sessions, the shift to a new label, the filming of the promo films, the rest of the promotional appearances, Electric Proms, etc. — 3 CD + 1-2 DVD

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Something like that. The story goes that they never issued a remaster because the master tapes had gone missing. Geoff Emerick found the tapes, but it was too late. Why not make a few calls if you can't find it? Ah well.

15. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

Sounds like something straight out of Broad Street...oh wait thats the entire plot lol :)

Paulwalrus, Wingsfan2012 and supermd like this.
  16. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

It was remixed because the original mix down was done from the analogue master to very early 16bit digital . To enable a hires version a new mix had to be done.

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Pipes of Peace was mixed the exact same way, yet we got a great remaster of the original mix. No excuse for Tug of War's original mix to not be remastered... unless they lost it.

18. James Bell

James Bell Forum Resident

Itunes uk no longer have "Venus and Mars", "At the Speed of sound", "Back to the egg" "All the best" "Wingspan" "Pure McCartney", the first two Fireman albums and Liverpool Sound Collage. They were all there fairly recently. A quick look on Amazon uk shows "Back To The egg" has definitely gone. Not sure about spotify as I dont bother with that service after my account got hacked once.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  19. James Bell

James Bell Forum Resident

Also on Amazon uk - the bonus audio on "Venus and Mars" and "At the speed of sound" can no longer be streamed and on "Pure McCartney" none of the "London Town" or "Back To The Egg" remastered tracks that appear on the compilation can be streamed either. Strange.

20. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I wonder if it's to try and prevent giving people reasons to not buy the Deluxe Edition of Flaming Pie.

I expect on the scale of "not interested" to "I'm buying it all!" there's a few people in the middle somewhere who might back off from buying the Deluxe edition if they can see all the material from previous Archives online for streaming. Maybe this is a pre-announcement strategy to make those waverers think they might need to buy the box to get access to that material?

Just a theory anyway!

21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

They would have been better without the mis-edit on Wild Life and the piano insertions on Wings Over America. Just sayin'... :magoo:

22. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"Tug of War" not getting a remaster was disappointing to me. The remix sounds identical to the original album, just louder.. "Ballroom Dancing" is now unlistenable.

RAJ717 and supermd like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I was so excited when they announced a fresh remix of this great album. I was hoping for a nicely organic-sounding remix to rid it of any digital stuff from the original mix, and what we got was a very modern-style remix, and it's trash. I have no desire to listen to it again.

Just give me a great remaster of the original mix and I'll be happy.

24. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I just saw that Pure McCartney is now unavailable on iTunes, but available on Apple Music. Does any of this have to do with the old Concord Music deal of Paul's? Or is it to remove "Flaming Pie" material before an Archive announcement?

Yorick likes this.
  25. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

backing up what I said earlier why the remix 'Tug of War' Remixed