Do you accept the new Star Wars trilogy as canon?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zinger_ghretzel, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pressureworld

pressureworld Forum Resident

I left when Lucas left. I just couldn't get into the newer ones. I did try!

2. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

George's prequels are definitely not part of my personal canon. I live my life as if they don't exist.

Jury's still out on the sequels. They got the aesthetics right, but the overall story is pointless and regressive. Ask me again in 5 or 10 years.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

My 13-y.o. son has a functional knowledge of the original trilogy and has seen the sequel trilogy...yet never showed any interest in the prequels until this weekend, when he asked if we could watch The Phantom Menace. Turns out he sees a lot of "prequel memes" online and they made him curious.

When the movie ended, this was his review: "It was better than Rise of Skywalker."

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I was willing to give the movies a chance many times within the time of these sequels. I gave the first one a break as at least getting back to the feel of Star Wars and some characters with actual human qualities and personalities. Then came the second one, which I find bizzare in too many ways. After setting them aside for awhile and revisiting them fresh, I find them even more lacking. I have not seen the last one. I will eventually. From what Ive gathered though I cant see it changing my mind.

Thumbs down from me on the sequels. And the prequels are just as bad in the opposite way. Tin characters, terrible dialogue and poor acting with zero chemistry.

The OT was lightening in a lightsaber. Never to be captured again.

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

No. There is no story. They made it up as they went along for the next movie. One ridiculous plot after another.

At least the prequels had a story to tell.

6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Gentle reminder 6 pages in that one's option does not affect the canonicity of new entries into a series. Unless you're a Disney exec or the Pope.

David Campbell likes this.
  7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I accept them as cannon. I also accept them for what I predicted they'd be when I read that George Lucas was selling the franchise to Disney: Kentucky Fried Star Wars movies.

twicks likes this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I will say this much. Im not sure why the big curfuffle about the healing thing. It was in Star Wars when Obi Wan healed Luke when he was attacked by the sand people.

Sounds like Jedi powers are the least problematic thing about 9.

9. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

That's a stretch.

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Why? What do you think Obi Wan was doing over Luke, reading his mind?

11. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Of course they’re all canon, so I’m not sure what purpose is served by policing the thread. The fun is, as the OP served it up, in discussing whether or not one accepts them.

12. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

In truth, the OT was made up as they went along... the difference is that trilogy - and the prequel trilogy - had a unifying singular vision behind it with George Lucas; the sequel trilogy had neither a singular vision behind it, not even a basic outline or even mutual shared agreement between Abrams/Johnson/Trevorrow of where they wanted the story to go, nor frankly any story of substance worth telling... other than the wonderful story of increased profits at the annual Disney shareholders meeting, which frankly is what all the Mouse House SW films have been about... the OT and PT collectively was a singular epic story George wanted to tell, the ST (plus the two Anthology films) was purely about Iger maximising Disney's dominance of the film market and making a ton of cash to boot!!!

I accept the sequel trilogy exists in the same way I accept the Matrix sequels or the RoboCop sequels or the last Bourne film or the last Indiana Jones film or the last three seasons of The X-Files or the last four Terminator films or any Alien film post-Alien 3 or any Predator film post-Predator 2 exists... but I personally don't partake in and ignore them just fine... free market, free choice!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    mpayan and twicks like this.
  13. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

The OP really should have said "do you accept the Star Wars sequels as your head Canon?" Because that is ultimately the question being asked here,and that's a choice each Star Wars fan has to personally make.

Officially through,there is no choice. The sequels are as much canon as the prequels before them. Whether you like them or love them or don't care either way doesn't matter. They are and will likely always be canon, no matter how loudly the fandom menace types bitch,complain,scream, moan and wail about ruined childhoods. Said whining didn't result in the prequels being erased and neither will it here. They are what they are. An original trilogy universally loved,and prequels and sequels that are divisive for different reasons. When we are all dead and gone it'll all be collectively seen as Star Wars by future generations. What is or isn't canon won't be in dispute.

greg_t, BeatleJWOL and mikeyt like this.
  14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Disney will reboot/remake it all in 10 years anyway so who cares?

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id really like to see the prequels redone at some point. Same basic storyline but with improvements as they apply.

Pipedream that theyd be awesome, but its certainly a hope.

16. David Campbell

Nah. I give it 20 or 30 years before we start seeing an actual real reboot/remake of any of the existing films. Lucasfilm is going ahead with focusing on other eras of the Star Wars universe for now and depending on how they turn out that will determine whether or not they actually remake the Skywalker era films.

I do believe that eventually there will be other Star Wars stories featuring Luke,Han and Leia but with different actors in the roles. There is like a four year gap between the first Star Wars and Empire and 30 plus years between ROTJ and TFA where you could tell more adventures with those characters.

daglesj likes this.
  17. David Campbell

That's a possibility more than remaking the originals or the sequels, but I'd imagine that wouldn't happen until George has passed away out of respect to George.

18. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I suspect it's only our generation that has a problem with the prequels.

19. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Dont bet on it. Disney got a lot of cash to recoup and they love flogging a dead horse. StarWars was exhausted as a franchise by 2003.

10 years.

20. David Campbell

I'll split the difference and say 15 at the earliest. And it'll probably not be the originals. If anything gets remade it'll be the prequels.

Putting on my tinfoil hat,that may be the reason we got the voices of Anakin , Obi-wan etc and not a full on force ghost Anakin. If...big if...they remake the prequels at some point that scene in TROS is easier to work around if it's just the voices.

Again I say it's a big if that the core 9 films ever get remade in our lifetime. The only way I see it happening is if all the upcoming films set in the "high republic" era are failures and the upcoming TV stuff fails. It would be a move of desperation.

21. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Waking him up.

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  22. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Was that a typo? Because if you meant 2005 - the year that Episode III was released - then I'd agree with you... not only is that film (despite it's flaws) the third-best SW film overall, and better on a pure narrative level than anything the sequel trilogy offered up, it's also where the story comes both full circle and to a natural conclusion, albeit not a chronological one...

twicks likes this.
  23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

It is a good movie, but I really dislike that first 20 minutes on Grievous's ship. The lame banter, sliding down hallways with Palpatine...ugh.

Fortunately it rights itself pretty quickly.

24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Nah you could tell it was gasping for breath before the last prequel.

The people in charge have had no clue what to do with the franchise since ROTJ.

A lot of Star Wars initial success was luck and the luck eventually ran out. I have no desire to ever watch another Star Wars movie. For me it's been downhill since I saw Star Wars aged 6 in 1977.

I never got to see Empire at the cinema due to my Dads job at the time. Back then a film was on for 10 days at the one screen and that was it.

25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Okay I can go for 15! :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.