Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Yeah, I saw it on my second viewing as well. As the little girl would doubtlessly point out, it's the actor's responsibility to know how to use a flamethrower if the director chooses to have one in the film.

Lightworker and Stormrider77 like this.
  2. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

I totally agree, perhaps the recently departed Professor Neil Peart says it best
    “Those who wish to be
    Must put aside the alienation
    Get on with the fascination
    The real relation
    The underlying theme”

She’s not caught up in being a big time actress that’s better than the common person, she’s still in love with the idea of being on the big screen, still in touch with the purity and innocence of her dream, still able to be touched and humbled that other people enjoy watching her on the cinema screen. I found it to be a very humanizing and touching selection of scenes.

rmath84, BeatleJWOL, SunSon and 5 others like this.
  3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Panera used to play classic jazz, emphasizing bebop: Dizzy, Miles, Charlie Parker, some Basie. They've dumbed all the way down to John Mayer? Yuck.

Ghostworld, Lightworker and yesstiles like this.
  4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Definitely one of the best scenes in the movie.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  5. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I just got the soundtrack record. It is killer.

Simon A and Dudley Morris like this.
  6. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The camera actually pans down a bit and lingers, as of to say, “Remember this.”

JohnK

Ghostworld and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The flamethrower reappearing is far more effective if the audience has mostly forgotten about it. It got a huge, Han-Solo-arriving-at-the-Death-Star reaction when I saw the movie. If they had made a point of letting the audience know he had it, everyone would be sitting there thinking “use the flamethrower!” beforehand (it being visible in an earlier shot is more of an Easter egg).

It’s like the scene at the end of Aliens when Ripley emerges in the exoskeleton to fight the Queen. It’s been long enough since the audience has seen it that they’re not expecting it, but not so long they don’t remember it.

Simon A, Stormrider77 and Mazzy like this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You’re right, but I didn’t notice it first on viewing.

CusBlues likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Agreed about the western TV shows. When did those shows ever have chiascuro (sp) lighting and fog machine smoke? Those shows were always shot bright and flat as the pan handle!

10. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

My sons and I watched over Christmas. My youngest is stationed at Camp Pendleton and on his drive back to California, he called
    to say he just drove by the prison Tex Watson is in. He's 23 and totally got it.

alexpop and Ghostworld like this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I made a commandment that the 20-year old actors in a film I’m making needed to see the film. One 20-year old told me flat out “It was the best movie i’ve even seen.” Twenty! Now, he’s an actor, so he might have be responding “actor’s story” in the film, which is actually the main story, in a way.

Jamey K likes this.
  12. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

My love for this movie just keep growing. I can't get enough. This past weekend I watched it Friday night and again on Saturday night. My wife walked in and was like you're watching this again?!?!

Yesterday I had a extremely tough day. My best friends dad passed away. My car got broke into. Someone got a hold of my mobile banking info and drained my account. I accidently hit a cat after work. By the time I got home I was a complete wreck. Seriously the only thing I wanted to do was put on this movie and forget about my crappy day. I was tearing up watching Cliff driving home to Brandy. For me this is what great movies are truly about. Pure escapism. Spending time with characters you love.

Wild Horse, VU Master, WJA and 13 others like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's a very nice 28-minute TV special that Sony just released on the show:

14. Spinitch

Spinitch New Member

Punkin’ Puss coincidently? a hillbilly cat cartoon character co star along with Mushmouse from Hanna-Bababera , same creators as Tom & Jerry. Curious dialogue using this obscure reference.

Mylene likes this.
  15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You are my hero.

Chip TRG and Denim Chicken like this.
  17. Denim Chicken

[​IMG]

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

19. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

The moccasins were the comfort footwear of the era along with Chuck Taylor's Converse All Stars

20. Denim Chicken

Thanks for sharing!

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Still hip as hell in this house.

Ghostworld likes this.
  22. Denim Chicken

Because you love movies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simon A, MekkaGodzilla, Jrr and 8 others like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

SunSon and brownie61 like this.
  24. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

106 pages in this thread! Holy cow.

Finally saw this picture tonight. It's quite something. Remarkably self-indulgent, serving up little stories within two bigger stories, which themselves hardly tie together at all, or at least not till the last 10 minutes. Still, I really liked it, and had there been just a bit less gore at the end (I'm more and more squeamish as I get older, though still tougher I suppose than the two nicer older women who left with about 7 minutes to go) I might have even loved it. Tarantino the pop culture and cinema nut has sometimes annoyed me (there really was no reason to make "Kill Bill"), but here finally it seems as if he's struck the right balance between reverence and irreverence toward popular cinema. The whole thing is very evocative of Hollywood in its late golden age, and of course the film gives us a Hollywood ending to what was probably the darkest of all Hollywood stories, with this time the good guys winning.

I suppose there's no chance this picture wins next week. But it's good to see it on the list.

sberger likes this.
  25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It’s much better the second time. Seriously.

Mazzy and Jrr like this.