What are you watching on the Criterion Channel?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Electric, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage Thread Starter

I had never heard of this Fellini before. It's very good.

And the Ship Sails On

Directed by Federico Fellini • 1984 • Italy

In Fellini’s quirky, imaginative fable, a motley crew of European aristocrats (and a lovesick rhinoceros!) board a luxurious ocean liner on the eve of World War I to scatter the ashes of a beloved diva. Fabricated entirely in Rome’s famed Cinecittà studios, AND THE SHIP SAILS ON (E LA NAVE VA) reaches spectacular new visual heights with its stylized re-creation of a decadent bygone era.

[​IMG]

Davido and ando here like this.
  2. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Well, I'm assuming this is part of their honoring of Black History Month but there are currently 19 films featuring the pioneering African American actor, Sidney Poitier.

[​IMG]

Good American Masters episode on Poitier -

My favorite role is his turn as Walter Younger in Raisin In The Sun. Blackboard Jungle and No Way Out are favorites, too.

Electric likes this.
  3. Electric

I'm going to be distracted from Criterion today because of the new Adam Sandler movie at Netflix.

ando here likes this.
  4. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Same here!
    A break can be a good thing. :)

Electric likes this.
  5. Electric

Oh, yea! I've heard of this Super Bowl. But there is so much I need to watch at Criterion, and so little time.

ando here likes this.
  6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Criterion put together a selection of Best Foreign Film Oscar winners, so I'm going to try to catch the handful that have eluded me.

Last night I watched "The Great Beauty", the 2013 winner. I don't know if I should say "If you liked Fellini, you'll like this" or "If you liked Fellini, you'll find this film highly derivative."

Electric and ando here like this.
  7. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

I was looking at thay list last night. I keep meaning to finish The Great Beauty (the initial discotheque scene put me off a bit) so while it's streaming I'll resume sometime this weekend. The Tin Drum is a must watch for everyone, imo. Can be enjoyed on several levels; I remember being transfixed by the world of little Oskar as a kid and appreciating the craftwork and thematic/political allusions when I got older.

RayS likes this.
  8. Electric

Watching:

The Juniper Tree
    Directed by Nietzchka Keene • 1990 • Iceland
    Starring Björk, Bryndis Petra Bragadóttir, Valdimar Örn Flygenring

The late, unsung visionary Nietzchka Keene made her stark, stunning feature debut with this medieval-set fable of witchcraft and persecution. Loosely based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tale of the same name, The Juniper Tree stars an incandescent Björk in her first film performance as a young woman who, after her mother is burned at the stake for practicing witchcraft, flees with her sister (Bryndis Petra Bragadóttir) through the harsh Icelandic wilderness—a journey shot through with both terror and mystic revelation. Spectacularly shot on location in poetic black and white and punctuated by indelible waking dream sequences (courtesy of legendary experimental filmmaker Pat O’Neill), this lost-and-found masterwork is a singular feminist fantasia of uncanny, elemental power.

Restored by the Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research and The Film Foundation, with funding provided by the George Lucas Family Foundation.

[​IMG]

JulesDassin, Plinko and ando here like this.
  9. RayS

I think I saw "The Tin Drum" when it came out (I was in high school) but at this point I don't really have a clear memory one way or the other. So it is on my watchlist. "Babette's Feast" is on the docket for tonight.

Davido, Electric and ando here like this.
  10. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    State of Siege (1972)

"An urban guerrilla group, outraged at the counterinsurgency and torture training clandestinely organized by the CIA in their country, abducts a U.S. official (Yves Montand) to bargain for the release of political prisoners; soon the kidnapping becomes a media sensation, leading to violence."

Picked a copy of the DVD off the shelf but will check out the extras on the channel. Nice streamer on YouTube as well:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Bruce Racket, Don P. and Electric like this.
  11. Electric

The great Godard!

A Married Woman
    Directed by Jean-Luc Godard • 1964 • France
    Starring Bernard Noël, Macha Méril, Philippe Leroy

Legendary French New Wave auteur Jean-Luc Godard reverses the standard love triangle and challenges the influence of consumer culture in one of his most provocative dissections of modern life. Charlotte (Macha Méril) aimlessly drifts between morning affairs with the artistic Robert (Bernard Noël) and mundane evenings with her paternalistic husband, Pierre (Philippe Leroy). Unsure of whether she loves either man, Charlotte discovers she is pregnant and must come to terms with her emotional infidelities.

[​IMG]

trumpet sounds and ando here like this.
  12. Electric

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try but gave up. What I watched I found to be closer to your latter description. I like that I can try out everything at Criterion and not feel like I have to watch all the way through because I paid a rental fee. OTOH, I hope I don't miss out on something that I should have had more patience with. :righton:

RayS likes this.
  13. RayS

I enjoyed "Babette's Feast" more ... a completely different style of movie ... both about existential crises.

Having now seen "The Tin Drum", I'm certain I didn't see it back when I was in high school. Oddly (I think), I was reminded multiple times of "Tommy".

~dave~~wave~ and Electric like this.
  14. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

I watched what was billed as the pre release version of “Red River”...which was The Last Picture Show. Joanne Dru (sister of Peter Marshall of “Hollywood Squares”) was a real beauty. John Wayne, Montgomery Clift, Walter Brennan, Howard Hawks directing... YES!!!

Electric likes this.
  15. Electric

That was good.

16. Joe Stewart

Joe Stewart Forum Resident

Watched the con man double feature of The Grifters and House Of Games. The Grifters is highly recommended. House Of Games is good too but The Grifters is the best of this double feature.

ando here likes this.
  17. RayS

The lady? or the loot?

Joe Stewart likes this.
  18. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Watched The Bad and The Beautiful for the first time this weekend. Wow! What a great movie. Kirk was amazing, RIP!

Electric and Joe Stewart like this.
  19. Electric

I watched this last week. You are correct. It is great, and really smart. I didn't recognize Lana Turner.

The Bad and the Beautiful
    Directed by Vincente Minnelli • 1952 • United States
    Starring Lana Turner, Kirk Douglas, Walter Pidgeon

Appearances are everything in Hollywood. Kirk Douglas gives a magnetic, Oscar-nominated performance as conniving producer Jonathan Shields, who turns talent, charisma and ruthlessness into film success, stomping on careers and creating enemies along the way. Vincente Minnelli directs this winner of five Academy Awards that’s more than a compelling insider’s look at Tinseltown: it’s a juicy opportunity for buffs to guess which real-life stars and moguls inspired the roles played by Douglas, Lana Turner, Walter Pidgeon, Dick Powell, Gloria Grahame, and more.

[​IMG]

trumpet sounds and ando here like this.
  20. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

My latest watch:

[​IMG]

ando here and Electric like this.
  21. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

35 Shots Of Rum as I have seen it a couple of times previously on Fandor, but I wanted to watch it again because it leaves the CC at the end of the month.

22. Electric

Watching:

Vagabond

Directed by Agnès Varda • 1985 • France

Sandrine Bonnaire won the Best Actress César for her portrayal of the defiant young drifter Mona, found frozen to death in a ditch at the beginning of Vagabond. Agnès Varda pieces together Mona's story through flashbacks told by those who encountered her (played by a largely nonprofessional cast), producing a splintered portrait of an enigmatic woman. With its sparse, poetic imagery, Vagabond (Sans toit ni loi) is a stunner, and won Varda the top prize at the Venice Film Festival.

[​IMG]

Crimson Witch and AndrewS like this.
  23. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

In the UK it's always been an absolute classic, probably one of the most quoted too.

Electric likes this.
  24. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Looks interesting. Thanks!

Electric likes this.
  25. Electric

I'm aiming to watch every Varda film they have.

AndrewS likes this.