Most people watching cable tv, still watch non-Hi-Def

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by radickeyfan, Jan 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No, we need DVD media to be available or we will fall into the streaming hell sooner than later...the more DVD sell benefits all physical media...

beat_truck and Mr Bass like this.
  2. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

yep my mom still does

Dude111 likes this.
  3. We mostly watch low(er)-def channels half the time (at least), but that's because we're both serious news junkies, and half the time the TV is on, we're as much listening (i.e. just listening), as watching.

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's a good chunk of my TV viewing as well, all OTA, but I get good HD reception via a roof antenna. I hesitate to call it real news, though. More like infotainment.

5. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

When they figure out a way to go back in time and change the first 60 years of television from 4x3 to 16x9 without cutting off 20% of the image, I'll agree with you.

beat_truck likes this.
  6. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I don't think that are any non HD channels anymore. When I last had Crumcast Cable, two years ago, there were channels that were 480i but 480i was defined as one of the variations of HD years ago.

7. My opinion is that this kind of people are:
    1- Plain dumb.
    2-Not very demanding picture quality wise.
    3- Need to get their eyes checked.
    Just for the record, it's the same in Spain, regardless if viewers are young or old.

8. Why would Samsung produce content? Where did you get that idea and why you think Samsung would do it better than anybody else?

9. HD out of a DVD player? Just not possible, it was either upscaled SD to HD,something your uncle's TV was already doing with the SD channels,or you are mistaking DVD with Blu ray.

10. What’s wrong with pillar boxing? No image lost and the black bars provide for a better border than, say, gray or silver bars 1” - 2” wide on an old CRT.

Billy Infinity and Vidiot like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The cable company compresses the data so you aren't getting the full HD picture on their HD channels anyway.

12. And I'm sure their HD feeds are already compressed, so they are compressing an already compressed video signal.

13. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I used the component cables that the DVD player was using and hooked them to the HD cable box so he could see HD out of the HD cable box. The DVD lost its cables. :)

Kiko1974 likes this.
  14. I get it now.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

My box has this option but, as near as I can tell, it has never worked.

16. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I could say something but my reply would be QUITE HOT!!

17. I think it’s because they can’t remember which ones are the hi def channels.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No image is cut off. You're seeing everything shot in a 4x3 image that's pillarboxed in a 16x9 frame:
    [​IMG]
    Not a pixel is wasted. There is no image in the black area at all. This is also how old (pre-1953) movies are shown all the time in repertory theaters.

Damien DiAngelo and Shawn like this.
  19. James Slattery

Your image didn't come up, but if you are showing me the picture as a box with black on all sides, no thanks. Bad enough now how current TV has black bars on the top and bottom of the picture.

20. Do you understand what aspect ratios even are?

21. James Slattery

I've been collecting TV shows for 40 years and worked in TV production for 37 years, so yeah, I think I have an idea.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, black bars only on left and right. If you're seeing anything else, it's wrong.

Here's a different diagram of the same thing:
    [​IMG]
    Top and bottom are always the same.

23. With that background, I’d think you’d recognize that no part of the image is cut off when showing a 4:3 image correctly pillar-boxed so I’m not sure why you’re against it. Likewise, the image is certainly larger on a 50” widescreen 16:9 vs. , say, a 27” 4:3 tv.

bresna and Billy Infinity like this.
  24. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Here in the UK we have a similar situation. I think the most common way people view TV is via Freeview, which is over-the-air transmitter to antenna on the roof of your house and uses DVB-T2 multiplexes to deliver the HD channels. It's possible internet-based delivery has overtaken it now but I doubt it. There are maybe 10? HD channels with the rest, a few hundred maybe, being SD.
    I tend to give my parents hand-me-down TVs but they still expect BBC1 to be channel 1, BBC2 2, ITV 3 etc. whereas the HD versions are 101, 102, 103. The TVs I've owned there doesn't appear to be a way of mapping the 101/102/103 etc. to 1/2/3 instead. I guess I should just delete the SD channels but this might confuse them. I fully expect many people still watch the SD channels not realising. To me it's a big difference in quality, especially for sport, and I doubt I've watched an SD channel for at least 5 years.

I did get them a Roku Stick too but the concept of pausing/catch-up TV is maybe a bit too much!

25. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Does Hi-Def improve the content?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.