Curb Your Enthusiasm - Official TENTH Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

I thought the 1st episode was good but the last two not funny at all. Everything just seems too forced. The way it's going I'm hoping this is the last season :(

Bender Rodriguez and JackBnimble like this.
  2. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I stated earlier in the thread that this is my favorite show ever. I have watched the past seasons multiple times. They are all funny and never get old. When season nine came out I thought it was a bit weak. I have rewatched a few episodes and now think it’s better than I remembered. It’s still probably the weakest season so far.

And now on to season 10. I only signed up for HBO to watch this show. The first episode was brilliant. I watched it twice. I thought we were in for an amazing season. The last two episodes have been what I think are two of the worst episodes of the entire series. I have still laughed a bit, but after the brilliant first episode, these last two don’t come close. The lawyer bits just are not funny. Who is this guy? So many funny people out there he could have had in this part. Leon needs to be featured more. He has basically been non existent so far with only a few minor laughs. The show really misses the Funk man! I do think the Danson as Lee could have some funny moments. I still have hope but two out of three missing the mark this early in the season is not a good sign.

I love Larry David. If this season stumbles we still have so many great episodes to look back on. Twenty years is a long time and a lot of episodes to keep everyone happy. Both Jeff and Richard have said this is their favorite season. Well, hopefully that means 7 hilarious episodes coming soon.

Bender Rodriguez and JackBnimble like this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I watched ep 3 last night expecting the worst from what was said here but actually had a good time watching it. Some funny stuff and wasn’t cringing at all.

4. palisantrancho

The bar he set for himself is incredibly high, especially after a classic first episode this season. Every episode has some laughs, but I do agree with many of the critiques of the last two episodes. Not as strong as I was expecting. I will eventually watch them again. Sometimes when expectations are so high you can’t help but be a little disappointed.

chacha likes this.
  5. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Yes, but George didn't know the envelopes were toxic. Larry's situation is more analogous to the time Jerry and Newman refused to give mouth to mouth to Ramon the pool boy, but he did not die.

6. chacha

But this isn’t even analogous to that because Larry’s reluctance was to not risk further misunderstanding with the woman.

7. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

It's analogous in that they each (Larry, Jerry/Newman) knew the person was in mortal danger yet refused to help.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it's sad that they had to refer obliquely to Bob "Super Dave Osbourne" Einstein as being on vacation in China, which just reminds us that he died and is not in the show. His character didn't do that much, but he was a good occasional foil for Larry.

Ehhhhhh... they better hurry up. I feel like they're trying a little too hard at establishing four or five different comic premises (the lisping Spanish guy, wax fruit, accidental sexual abuse, the lawyer trying to settle, various misunderstandings, and so on) and forcing them to all come together at the end. When it works "naturally," it's great... when it doesn't, it feels very manipulative and forced.

I guess as long as you laugh, it's OK, but too often I find myself just smiling and not laughing. It's the difference between being amusing and being laugh-out-loud funny.

JackBnimble likes this.
  9. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

I'm hoping that Einstein will get a proper send off. I find myself smiling more than laughing too and the entire lawyer plot is annoying.

Vidiot and Pete Puma like this.
  10. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I like episode 3 fine. Lots of people are saying it was their favorite episode ever. To me the brief slapstick portion was not that great, but I think it was sort of a one-off -- a shout out to the 3 Stooges. If that's a slapstick direction the show is going, that would not be good, but I don't think it is. The multiple themes all coming together in the end, so much moreso than usual -- my immediate reaction at that moment was it was sort of a satire on that technique of LD, and deliberately overdone for that purpose. So I found it amusing satire. The lawyer fits in with a long string of professionals Larry sees who turn out to be neurotic themselves.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Vidiot and MRamble like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the reality is that if a guy with $400 million dollars (as Larry David is) was sitting in his lawyer's office, and the guy was obnoxious to him, Larry would say, "OK, you're fired and I'm getting a new lawyer," and that would be that. But as Mr. David has often said in interviews, "there's 'TV Larry' and 'Real-Life Larry,' and they're not the same people."

12. WJA

WJA Forum Resident

I think the latest season has been incredible so far. Been meaning to go back and watch the series from the beginning again. Planning on doing that once this season finishes so I can continue getting my Curb fix.

13. palisantrancho

Back on track! Great episode tonight. On par with the first episode. This one also plays like it could have been the second episode.

14. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I actually thought this episode was worse than last week.

Vidiot, MRamble and palisantrancho like this.
  15. palisantrancho

There you go! He can’t please everyone at the same time all the time. This felt like a classic episode to me. It’s not that I hated episode 2 and 3, but this one seemed like a proper continuation of the first episode. It has gotten me more excited about the rest of the season after being slightly disappointed with the last couple episodes.

16. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I agree with the above. Back on track from last week. Also loving these extended episodes. Loved how Leon snags his spot on the cheap as luggage.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    palisantrancho and JackBnimble like this.
  17. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Last night's episode was a big stinkeroo, in my book.

Vidiot and Jerryb like this.
  18. Almost 24 hours since the last episode, and not a single post about it. I thought it was hilarious, but maybe interest is waning.

chacha and palisantrancho like this.
  19. palisantrancho

Didn’t watch it yet! My interest is still very high! Can’t wait to watch it tonight!

chacha likes this.
  20. chacha

I enjoyed it. Vince Vaughan funny.

21. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I loved it..Larry and the blow-up doll killed me. Missed a few jokes because I laughed so hard.

MikeT and palisantrancho like this.
  22. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Larry is going all in this season. Knew that he would use the doll before the end as it was just too ripe a prop not to. Four of five episodes this season have been excellent! Didn't care for #3 Artificial fruit.

palisantrancho likes this.
  23. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Laughed out loud a few times during last night's episode. Funny stuff.

chacha and palisantrancho like this.
  24. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

The ending was epic.

25. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

These last two were subpar for me. Forced and unnatural performances. Great story lines but executed without Larry's usual finesse.

Jerryb and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.