Qobuz music streaming discussion and news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stereosound, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I am most interested in the Sublime+ subscription, as there are a few hi res titles that I hunger for and could use the discounted price that Sublime offers. My finger is on the trigger of the Sublime+. Thankfully, my wife offered to take over the Apple Music subscription since I don’t use it any longer and she and her kids use it constantly. That will help me to justify the high initial cost.

NYMets41 likes this.
  2. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I looked up Tyshawn Sorey.

These albums are available in full in the Qobuz library.

• Alloy
    • Koan
    • That / Not

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  3. Freebird

Mary Halvorson available full albums:
    • Code Girl
    • A Tangle of Stars
    • Meltframe
    • After All Is Said
    There are 86 albums listed under Anthony Braxton and from my sampling all of them were full albums.

7 full albums for Myra Melford even though a search says 12.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Actually there's a lot more than that now including Halvorson's great releases on Firehouse 12. Qobuz has dramatically upgraded its library of jazz in recent weeks.

Freebird likes this.
  5. Freebird

Awesome. Tyshawn Sorey is right up my alley of the kind of sounds and music I enjoy. So new discovery for me, thanks to you.

Do you like Angelika Niescier?

6. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

7. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

Does Qobuz ever offer promo codes for discounts on orders?

8. Robert Goodison

Robert Goodison Never, ever, bloody anything ever!

Not since Xandrie's takeover of Qobuz in 2016.
    Up until then, there were regular, but not frequent, discounts available on orders over a certain value, and scaling the more you spent.

They have regular promotions - Promotions (URL might change depending on country).
    Depending on your music taste, they'll either float your boat, or miss by a wide margin.

9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I don't know her work. In re: Sorey, he is so super talented -- composer, educator, multi-instrumentalist -- but I'm not so much of a fan of everything he's done. Mostly I'm a fan of him as a trap drummer. Behind the kit, he's outstanding, any record he's on where he's playing the kit, I'm interested in hearing. Actually, he's so creative, I'm interested in hearing everything he does as a leader too. It's just not always something I wind up loving. His duet album with Marilyn Crispell this year, The Adornment of Time, is something I really like, but it's on Pi Recordings so its not streaming anywhere.

Freebird likes this.
  10. Freebird

I’ll be sure to look into those recordings. This recording has been in rotation around here for a good part of 2019. It is available on Qobuz and other streaming services.

[​IMG]

11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'll check it out. Always interested in hearing music I haven't heard before, and like I said, if Sorey's at the kit, I'm very interested.

12. Stereosound

13. Blamelouis

Blamelouis Well-Known Member

Loving qobuz on my Astell and Kern sr15 it sounds fantastic. Much better than Tidal which sounded compressed Amazon hd came close but Qobuz just sounds more spacious. Also on my Xperia 1 it's excellent as well. Some gaps in library but hopefully they will be filled in a while.

14. Stereosound

For anyone interested here is a link to request music not found in Qobuz's catalogue. NOTE: (They are requiring you post a link to another service that does have what you are looking for available) Paste a valid link to this release from another US streaming service. NO DISCOGS or WIKIPEDIA links!! Qobuz Release Request Form - Airtable

If you are looking for something that is not streaming then I suggest you contact them through their customer service found here: Qobuz customer service and technical support. – Music downloads and streaming

If you want to post a features/feedback request you can do it through the customer service link or post it here where the thread is monitored and you can converse with people that work for Qobuz here: Qobuz Feature Requests

If you are having some other issue with Qobuz you can post here which is also monitored and you can converse with people that work for Qobuz here: Official Qobuz Issues Thread

Qobuz is good about getting back to their customers and trying to help. They could use more staff I think to update things faster but they do at least seem to actually care as opposed to the other services I find.

15. Stereosound

Don't know about the price after the promo but the $14.99/month price is for the first 100,000 subscribers or until January 31st 2020, whichever comes first from what they have stated.

16. John22

John22 Forum Resident

It's funny that the Qobuz U.S. download shop has all box sets from "The Complete Motown Singles" but not Vol. 12A:

Complete Motown Singles for albums to download in True CD Quality (Lossless), 24-Bit Hi-Res

The U.K. download shop has no Vol. 7 and 9. The German download shop has all volumes.

Is it really possible that individual volumes of a series may not be distributed in certain countries?

17. Stereosound

18. Stereosound

19. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Freebird likes this.
  20. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

The savings is significant.

last year I bought quite a bit.

now I’m struggling w storage.

do I pay Apple monthly for its cloud?

do I pay Qobuz monthly instead?

21. Kristofa

I don’t know about Apple Cloud, but I have had issues with Dropbox cloud storage messing with my files. Perhaps it is due to Roon—I just don’t know. But that is a topic for a different thread and don’t want to derail this one.

I did pull the trigger on Qobuz Sublime+ subscription. It makes buying Hi-res music a no brainer when they don’t often cost more than $10 an album. The savings is certainly paying for the higher cost of the yearly subscription.

the mobile app is getting better too. Hopefully their suggested albums will improve based on play history. This is a sorely lacking feature and one that Apple Music has nailed down. It is such a great way to discover new “to me” music to play.

Galley likes this.
  22. psuKinger

psuKinger Well-Known Member

+1 and nearly word-for-word ditto, with the only difference being the least important/relevant part (Android user with a family Google Play Music + Commercial Free Youtube subscription rather than iPhone user with Apple Music sub; for very similar reasons, ease of use on the go, larger library than Qobuz or Tidal, and my kids *love* the commercial free youtube that comes with it).

But otherwise identical. Roon is my primary player. The Qobuz front page is fantastic at bringing me new/interesting content when I'm on my desktop at work. I have an annual Sublime plan and probably buy way to much music with it, but I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of the sub. I pay for Tidal by the month, and only on the months that I'm home more and on my Roon server (so: November-December and June-August). I like it a lot, just not as much as Qobuz...

BayouTiger and Kristofa like this.
  23. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I actually ditched Tidal a few months ago and haven’t skipped a beat. I am intrigued by the Sublime membership and was going to go that route, and then they dropped the monthly so I just stayed there. Really only have to buy one album a month to pay for itself.

psuKinger likes this.
  24. Stereosound

25. Kristofa

I sure like the Qobuz download store. Their prices are good and it integrates with their streaming service a bit with the favorites feature. It allows me to listen to stuff, mark that I like it, then find it easier for purchase. If they get rid of their store, I will be very, very sad.

Galley and RoyalScam like this.