Buying a VG vinyl?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Positively Vinyl, Oct 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cld23

Cld23 Active Member

Like most people have said this VG vs VG+ or NM rating is really dependent on the knowledge and honesty of the seller. A VG record should still play through but may have some quiet noise, yet still sound nice for a player copy. I buy (and sell to be honest) a lot from @TOVAG on Facebook and it is so we'll moderated compared to other sites, even compared to eBay and discogs a lot of the time and every time I have bought something VG it's been VG+ when I get it because people want to keep their customer base and if it's not accurate the administrators of the group will boot that seller. I buy from some other FB groups too but for sure if you're looking for good deals like you said or some rare ones and don't want to necessarily spend the big bucks on a sealed one check out the TOVAG site. I can pretty much guarantee you'll get a thorough description of what you're buying and will be happy with it from any of the sellers on there. Good luck!

2. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I am curious, what price are you finding M- copies for and what is your price limit?

3. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Lots of posts here that have no idea about that particular record. If you want an inexpensive copy, read this thread.
    A thank you to SHTV (German Apple MMT)
    FWIW, I do buy vg from time to time but would be very hesitant on a Beatles album because so many of them are sold by people who know nothing about records except that every Beatles record is worth money (or so they think).

Matt I likes this.
  4. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Just look for SHZE 327 in the Deadwax. It’s the same stamper as the Horzu.

5. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Going by Goldmine standards I don't like the VG condition in my collection. With that said, every time I've accepted a VG condition record in my collection it has been slightly above price for a record that I can't find anywhere, and a week later I find one in significantly better condition for half the price.

All in all if you are fine with the sound and looks of a true VG record then go for it, but Magical Mystery is way to common to settle.

6. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

The pressing he is looking for is not all that common. The title itself is common and commonly f****d up.

7. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I understand what you are saying and with that said, it's not rare enough that he couldn't find a better conditioned version and has to accept a VG. This is a sonic gem, why settle for something that is less than spectacular? It's like a RL Led Zeppelin II, why get a VG when it's magic is all about the sound.

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I hesitate when I see VG listed on discogs.
    On the rare occasion it's closer to VG+,
    but more often than not it's closer to trashed.
    And why do people bother listing records on discogs that are in g condition (or g+ condition)?
    Do these people seriously think these records are gonna sell?

Darryl

9. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Probably best to first find out what "grade" the seller has to determine if a VG will be a good idea. I have purchased a lot of VG records here from sellers that grade conservatively and they are better buys than others that are graded VG+ on other venues. I always look at a sellers feedback for any overgrading comments before I buy anything VG on Discogs. I have also been a bit more aggressive lately in leaving feedback that clearly states that a record is wildly overgraded.

10. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

VG on eBay is solid VG-.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.