Ascend Acoustics new speaker - Sierra 2EX

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Grateful Ed, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apparently this has been out for a few months, but I just found out about it. This new woofer looks amazing. I knew that Dave had been working on this new woofer for some time. I cannot wait to order an upgrade kit for my Sierra 2s. The bass extension has gone from 46Hz anechoic to 38Hz anechoic while only sacrificing 1dB in sensitivity! As someone who doesn’t use a sub, this is very exciting news.

The measurements look impressive!

Sierra-2EX RAAL Ribbon Tweeter Bamboo Cabinet Loudspeaker

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

Cast-magnesium basket. Good stuff.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Definitely look interesting.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

A friend of mine has a pair of the Sierra Ones. He brought them over to my house so we could compare them to a couple other monitor speakers. We both agreed they were nudged out by my Revel M22s, but it was close. If the new Sierra Two is significantly better, it's going to be a heck of a speaker at a good price.

5. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

Yes, like you I just found out because of AA sending their holiday sale message to my email. I am also wanting to possibly upgrade. I have 3 S2's now and 2 S 1's, just trying to decide which set to update. If you decide to do the upgrade kit from your S2 post back and let us know what u think. It's still going to be a little while for me.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  6. Grateful Ed

Will do. Unfortunately I think it’s going to be a while for me also. I’m hoping maybe in the early part of 2020...

People on the Ascend forum seem to think the upgrade is well worth it and really narrows the gap in performance between the S2EX and the RAAL towers.

7. Grateful Ed

I’ve never heard the original Sierra 1, but from everything I’ve read here and on the Ascend forums it’s on a completely different level. The 1s tend to get favorable yet not exceptional reviews, while I’ve never read anything less than glowing for the Sierra 2.

mike catucci and timind like this.
  8. Paddlefoot

Paddlefoot Active Member

i have a pair of these, i also owned the Sierra 1 for 3 years. The Sierra 2EX is heads and should above the Sierra 1 and a good bit above the Sierra 2. The bass and mids you will hear instantly over the other two, the speed of this speaker is incredible . I use mine without a sub for the time being and very happy with the sound of as is. David of Ascend has hit this speaker out of the park! these speakers remind me of the Ascend Tower Raal, they have a warmth and fullness to them that the other didn't have. for small and medium room these may be all that someone needs. my music covers jazz , rock, fusion. I am glad that i bought them.

9. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

Dang it man, you just make me want to update even more :laugh:. Now just trying to decide which set to update. You have really wetted the whistle...with the better bass and mids.

Manimal likes this.
  10. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

I am about to buy these. I've had Sierra 1s for five years and love them. The possibility that something in the same line could be a BIG jump forward is intriguing.

I would be interested in reading more from folks who have experienced the 2EXs: enough of an upgrade from the 1s (or even 2s?) to justify the price? I plan to take advantage of Dave's generous 30-day window and give them a try, but am curious to hear more reviews, too.

timind and Grateful Ed like this.
  11. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

These don’t get talked about a lot over here but if you go over to AVS there is quite a few discussions regarding these speakers with Dave’s comments and inputs as well.

12. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I had a pair of Sierra Towers with NRT tweeter for years and loved them. I'm sure these 2EX are just as good if not better... The RAAL tweeter and larger woofer probably sound great. I'd love to give them a listen.

GKH, mike catucci and Grateful Ed like this.
  13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

As you know I’m a fan of the M22 ‘s
    That’s a bad to the bone speaker:) I gotta get me a pair:)

timind likes this.
  14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Fight man FIGHT!

15. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

My Ascend Sierra 2-EXs arrived today. I had been using Sierra 1s as my mains. They are now surrounds. My set-up is mostly for vinyl/2-channel, but also for movies.

Everything everyone is saying about these speakers is true. The bass is stunning. The mids are full and clear, with great detail. Vocals sound exceptional. I am sure more subtle differences will continue to emerge as I listen to favorite albums. So far, everything that was already very good on the Sierra 1s is beyond remarkable on these 2-EXs.

Really looking forward to listening to jazz later tonight on these.

16. defmoot

defmoot Contents Under Pressure

I've been auditioning a pair of 2EX for about three weeks.

They are fantastic with late '50s, early '60s jazz. Pretty much everything else sounds great, too. They're punchy and smooth at the same time, if that makes any sense. All the usual audio cliches and disclaimers apply, sure. I'm really enjoying the music, though.

Don't have any recent experience with other stand mounts comparable to these, but everything I've heard so far indicates I'll be keeping them.

17. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

AHHHH......your killing me man, I so want to get some of these but waiting to pay medical bills....

18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Bamboo, nice! Too bad the grilles aren't magnetic, though. Money money I guess :cry:

GKH likes this.
  19. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Ascend Acoustics' smallest speaker(?), the CBM-170SE, has just about the flattest response I've ever seen measured in a speaker of any kind, or for that matter, price. Obviously, real-world performance will vary based on your room ... but if something happened and I no longer had the speakers I have now, I'd order a pair of these in a hot second. <$300!

ben_wood and mike catucci like this.
  20. defmoot

defmoot Contents Under Pressure

Those SEAS midwoofers, RAAL ribbons, and sweet bamboo cabinets ate up all the budget. :)

The new Duo LCR have magnetic grilles.

Perhaps this will be standard in the future.

21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Maybe they should have priced them at $1649 instead of $1648 :laugh: Trying to get those Asian buyers maybe...

22. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Big fan of Ascend and David's work. Had the Sierra RAAL Towers for 3+ years and they beat out some amazing speakers to my ears. Would love to hear these one day. Maybe when baby gets old enough that I can enjoy blasting music again once in a while :)

23. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Ditto, except 4+ years for me and (due to room configuration restraints at my previous location) it’s a pair of Sierra RAAL Horizons (designed primarily as the matched centers for the Sierra Towers).

freesole likes this.
  24. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Had a Horizon for my center in that setup. Fantastic center speaker for AV and music.

johnnypaddock and SteelyNJ like this.
  25. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I've owned the S1 NrT and the S2. Both were fantastic speakers. Was not a fan of the Raal tweeter however. These bad boys have my attention and Dave already said he could build a pair with the NrT tweeter. Best of both worlds with that new woofer and the clarity and snap of the NrT. I'll report when I actually buy them later this summer.