Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys 50th Anniversary AAA Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greenmonster2420, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenmonster2420

Greenmonster2420 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Experience Hendrix will be releasing this title at the end of March for the 50th Anniversary. Quite possibly my favorite Hendrix release, I go back and forth between this one and Ladyland as my favorite. The vinyl will be AAA, pressed at QRP, and mastered by Eddie Kramer. I've been wondering when this would come as they have released so much other material AAA, and finally here it is. I have the Classic, which is amazing, but will likely pick this up for a fun comparison. They will be doing both a black vinyl and a translucent cream, red, yellow and green swirl vinyl edition.

Different release packages here Band of Gypsys Anniversary Edition | Shop the Authentic Hendrix Official Store

Notes from the site:
    BAND OF GYPSYS [50th ANNIVERSARY, 180-GRAM BLACK VINYL]

Jimi Hendrix's immortal 1970 live album, Band of Gypsys, is one of his most influential releases, with the charismatic guitar icon testing the bounds of his creative approach to produce some of the most ambitious music of his career. Capitol/UMe will honor this landmark record with this special 50th anniversary vinyl editions of Band of Gypsys that recapture the album’s boundary- breaking spirit.

This new, all analog edition of Band of Gypsys has been mastered from the original analog stereo tapes by longtime Hendrix engineer Eddie Kramer and is pressed on 180-gram audiophile black vinyl by Quality Record Pressings. The Band of Gypsys 50th anniversary LP will be packaged with an eight-page booklet filled with rare images from the concerts and an essay by John McDermott. This special edition will feature a 24" x 36" replica of Capitol Record' original promotional Band of Gypsys poster. Scheduled for release on March 27, 2020.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  2. I need this. I have a lot of copies of this title but but nothing definitive - no clean Lime RL (but I have 3) or Classic Records.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  3. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

NICE. i've been waiting for this. thanks for the heads up !!

4. I know it says "New" but can we confirm this is not related to the Classic Eddie Kramer/ George Marino stampers from Clasic records?

5. Greenmonster2420

That's a good question. I'd assume it's not, as GM isn't mentioned, but we probably won't be able to know 100% until we can see some dead wax.

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Funny timing, I have recently realized I need this album on LP (I only have a CD), and I’d much rather have this than the “standard”, probably-not-AAA version that’s currently easily available. Pretty easy pre-order decision for me!

7. Greenmonster2420

The other EH AAA reissues have all been quite good in my experience. Even if it does not become the definitive version, I'm willing to wager that it is quite good.

8. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Props to them for keeping the new "Band of Gypsys" price in line. About $25 with an extra $5 for the creamy swirl version. Billed as AAA ... Now let's have that SACD of "Experienced" -- and then "Ladyland."

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This looks like they are using the mastering from the Classic Records issue. This is a reissue not a remaster. This quote is from the email from Acoustic Sounds.

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

Coming March 27
    Mastered by Bernie Grundman!
    Pressed at Quality Record Pressings!

Jimi Hendrix
    Band Of Gypsys

180-Gram Vinyl + Booklet

10. My suspicion appears to be confirmed! This is good news for anybody that never got a well pressed Classic.

quicksrt, Fruff76 and Dr. Funk like this.
  11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm confused. I have the Eddie Kramer / George Marino first Classic press. As far as Discogs goes, Bernie has no credit for any version ?

Also not seeing Bernie's name on Acoustic Sounds' product page : Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds I see it in Wednesday's email, as @Tullman says above, but not on the product page.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  13. Greenmonster2420

Color me confused. Grundman did not do the Classic. Nor is he doing this one. Unless I'm completely missing something.

Also, no mention of Marino who did the Classic with Kramer. And they have advertised Marino on the previous releases when he was involved. I think it's a little early to say either way whether this is or is not a new mastering. Only dead wax will tell, unless someone has connections for inside info.

Myke likes this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I think Bernie's name being in the email was a mistake. That's why it's not on the product page. As for the release itself, my first thought after seeing it on Facebook, long before reading it here, and after checking the track listing was, easy pass for me.

15. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I hope it’s a new mastering by Grundman

E.Baba likes this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The link you posted says mastered by Eddie Kramer. What track list is this?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I stand corrected on the Classic Records mastering. This whole thing is confusing.

18. Somebody messed up. Never underestimate the value of a competent copy editor!

rxcory likes this.
  19. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

$10 shipping??

Have these people not heard of Media Mail

Clucking and ODShowtime like this.
  20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

There is no change to the track listing... :confused:

E.Baba likes this.
  21. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Oh lordy thanks f or the post.
    Will have to order this when I get on a proper device.

I had the Classic and AU 1st press Puppet cover but lost them with everything else in bushfire.

22. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Give thanks you don't live here where I couldn't post anything to myself for that.

US international rates will double my costs.

23. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

There better not be !

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I'm so down with this release. One of my fav's and a title a still pull out and jam quite often. Saw this was coming when I got my AS update the other day and really looking forward to it! Have an excellent shape first pressing but for $25 I'm willing to check this out.

Greenmonster2420 and mcwlod like this.
  25. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Hell yeah!! An instant purchase this one, great.

Terry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.