Nick Drake Appreciation - Album By Album & All Things Nick Drake*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Aug 29, 2018.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Narcissus... (I remember your posts well), thanks so much for sharing what happened to the wonderful Nick Drake forum. I actually still do a google search in hopes it would somehow reappear. The forum had so much to offer in the way of fans sharing stories and love of Nick, and in sharing all the rest of the music we all wished to share that touched us, in the general music section. The Drake forum gave us personal, and often touching moments that we who participated enjoyed everyday.

I miss that forum still today. I started this thread in hopes of bringing back some of that Nick Drake forum magic, at least in a small way.

:tiphat:

Narcissus and Buddys Dad like this.
  2. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

You are most welcome! Grainger’s testimony had altered somewhat in the intervening years from his initial interview for Dann’s book. These could be due to embellishments of the underlying reminiscence of such times. Indeed, it is a very detailed account, and a rare one to have in terms of Nick performing a lot in Soho. I’m very thankful to Ross for his memories and explaining his own philosophy on Drake’s inner workings.

In terms of the three books you mentioned, it is a good thing that we have them available to us, for people have a choice. Personally, I love everything about Patrick Humphries biography, from his wonderful prose to the substantial research and detail throughout, and it is because of these qualities that I feel in safe hands with it.
    Remembered For A While went above and beyond my expectations and it is has so much to offer the reader; stunning piece of work. And I think it important to point out that Gabrielle gave several honorable mentions to Humphries in the book.

I suppose I mention all this in light of Beatlebug’s post on page 41 in the thread with news of Richard Morton Jack’s authorized biography in the works, for essentially he should have the ‘keys to kingdom’ from the Estate, and I do hope his efforts will be as opulent as Gabrielle’s labor of love.

You put into words the essence of the Nick Drake Forum very well indeed and this thread you have inaugurated is incredible, thank you! It is a great comfort for me to be communicating with you & all and contributing to this beautifully presented thread. It is just as good as the forum. I find myself to be quite alone when it comes to Nick Drake’s music, by way of communicating about him with the few friends I have, for they have not a clue who he is nor do I wish to press upon them his music, for I feel his music finds you when you need it most!
    This thread appeases this need within me to communicate with likeminded people, who have with an open heart for this genius of a musician, whom I find to be most original and truthful.

In closing, sorry for delay in responding to you both. I will try and check in more regularly. I hope to post a few things in the near future.

Take care

joeym3, Buddys Dad, ggjjr and 2 others like this.
  3. lemonade kid

I feel the same way. Trying to convey the magic of Nick's music we feel is impossible to share with those who won't hear. That's ok as they may feel the same about some music they love that I will never hear.

NICK DRAKE IS A COMFORT...

4. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

5. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

Meant to say this thread is a comfort & a source of info for lovers of Nicks music.
    Plus some new info has come to light, like the new book.

6. lemonade kid

Thank you...

Buddys Dad likes this.
  7. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

I picked up the American Gothic LP by David Ackles the other day and find it to be beautiful and original. Thus, if you haven’t heard American Gothic before then I thought you ought!

The cover shot reminds me of a snap of Nick Drake by Kieth Morris in his Haverstock Hill garden, with white washing hanging from a clothes line.
    Take care.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    joeym3 and Buddys Dad like this.
  8. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

9. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Love this picture

lemonade kid and Narcissus like this.
  10. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

Ever since your post I’ve been listening to Shelagh McDonald rather a lot. Her Stargazer LP would be most welcome in my life. Thank you for bringing her to my attention! Baby Go Slow is perhaps my favorite track from the LP, although like many great artists, this can vary due to a full album’s wealth of great tracks.

Also, since your post, I’ve been researching the luminaries and how or why Nick Drake may have used them to communicate lyrically (thought I’d put insomnia to good use!). This has been a delight to look into and I hope to share my thoughts and findings with you soon. I may have to do so in a few parts, like a series, rather than overwhelm everyone with one huge post (that would be a cure for insomnia for many I’m sure).

11. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

My good friend Arthur had once pointed out to me that Elis Regina and Tom Jobim’s song 'Chovendo Na Roseira' [1974]
    imbues the timbre of guitar and prolonged vocal passages, similar to Nick Drake’s 'Riverman';

12. lemonade kid

Hey Narcissus & friends, for those who want a Nick styled heavy dose of insanely wonderful fingerstyle picking, try some Ryley Walker and watch this amazing demonstration...live:

Clear The Sky...with that Ryley bluesy jazzy folk vibe.

Look forward to more of your posts, Narcissus

:tiphat:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  13. lemonade kid

Bummer...disabled.

14. lemonade kid

Me too... Nick exudes a feeling of ecstasy. I'm feelin' it too.

15. lemonade kid

Full performance on KEXP

Ryley Walker...mesmerizing

Narcissus, Crazysteve and Hep Alien like this.
  16. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

Hi lemonade kid, always nice to hear from you. Thank you for sharing this great video of a fingerstyle guitarist. I see he uses a thumb pick like Bert Jansch...

Frightfully sorry about this lemonade kid, not sure what happened. To make up for this I shall delve deep and compile a list of music with links/hyperlinks to their respective videos on YouTube in a short while.

Sorry that I missed this one... I have a PDF of a walking tour, with maps, tube connections and pictures of all Nick’s known regular haunts. If you, or anyone else interested would like a copy, just send me a Direct Message with your email and I’ll send it over to you. I have done this myself with a dear friend a couple years ago and we had a most wonderful day.​

winojunko76 likes this.
  17. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

In this post I would like to share with you some tracks from records which are in my collection, or were in my old collection at some stage, which I feel have a pertinent Nick Drake ambience, either by way of timbre, delivery of the arrangements, to a feeling of timelessness by contemporaries of his from a renaissance folk era.
    I think most will have heard all these before, yet I reserve some hope that maybe just one had slipped away from you somehow, and you come to find something new and moving. As there appears to be an issue with YouTube of late, each artist and their respective songs below are hyperlinked so just hover over and click on your song of choice and enjoy…

Kevin Ayers / ‘Eleanor's Cake (Which Ate Her)’ [1969]

Tom Jobim & Elis Regina /Chovendo Na Roseira’ [1974]

Duncan Browne / ‘The Death of Neil’ [1968]

Vashti Bunyan / ‘Train Song’ [1966]

Tim Buckley / ‘Buzzin' Fly’ [1969]

Francoise Hardy / ‘Bown Bown Bown’ [1972]

Mason Williams / ‘Road Song’ [1968]

Bridget St. John / ‘Ask Me No Questions’ [1969]

Tim Hardin / ‘Speak Like a Child’ [1967]

Linda Perhacs / ‘Dolphin’ [1970]

Ennio Morricone & Jackie Lynton / ‘The Ballad Of Hank McCain part 2’ [1968]

Jimmy Webb / ‘Galveston’ [1972]

Nico / ‘Somewhere There's A Feather’ [1967]

Erik Satie / ‘Trois Gymnopedies’ [1888]

John Renbourn / ‘Lady Nothing's Toye Puffe’ [1966]

Love / ‘Old Man’ [1967]

Sibylle Baier / ‘I Lost Something in the Hills’ [1971-1973]

Baden Powell / ‘Ultimo Porto’ [1971-1974]

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bought Trever Dann / Drake book the other week.

When is this new Nick Drake biography out?

Narcissus likes this.
  19. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Here’s Ryley Walker getting his Nick on........

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Always thought Ayers accent was kinda similar to Drake.

Narcissus and lemonade kid like this.
  21. lemonade kid

Thank you..Ryley is an American treasure that seems to have that British fingerstyle jazzy folk thing going on.

22. lemonade kid

Narcissus and alexpop like this.
  23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

What a beautiful video. :love: I hope the crew checked that young lady for ticks when the shooting was over.

I get the Nick Drake inference but RW's voice and songs are not as involving. I think I'd get fatigued quickly listening to him as I did in the radio clip posted upstream. Nick was droning at times in a gentle and soothing way but Riley drones in a slightly annoying way if that makes any sense. I don't relax, it's more like...when will this be over.I did love his guitar work though more than the voice and songwriting and the cello and production offered more Drake-ishness than his solo radio spot. Of course that's my feelings based on just a few things seen here. I'd be open to hearing more and he seems like a lifer that will be at it for some time to come.

24. lemonade kid

A nice Ryley tune...
    around here, one gets used to checking for ticks every day.

;)

Primrose Green

Hep Alien and Fender Relic like this.
  25. lemonade kid

Some amazing fingerstyle guitar work

Isaac Guillory...and his Martin D-35

After active resistance to the Vietnam War, Guillory left the USA in November 1970, acquired a Martin D-35 and lived throughout Europe. He worked as an acoustic solo performer and settled in the United Kingdom. Guillory came to earn a reputation as one of the best guitarists ever. Many guitarists today emulate techniques Guillory evolved in the early 70's while living in the south of Spain.

A particular signature technique that he developed was 'hybrid picking', where he would sustain a bass line with a plectrum held between his thumb and first finger, whilst picking chord and melody lines with his second and third fingers.

Having studied classical guitar in his younger years, Guillory would often incorporate quasi-classical techniques into his playing and on occasions would even throw in some pure classical guitar pieces, merging them into various songs as a medley.

His soft American accent always went down well with British audiences and Guillory would exploit this with his witty on-stage banter between songs. Throughout his career, Guillory sought to encourage younger musicians at every opportunity and would often allow them to play as a 'floor-act' before he came on stage.

He was widely known for insisting on carrying his own PA sound system with him from gig to gig. This allowed him to reproduce the exact sound he wanted night after night regardless of the venue. This was quite rare at the time with solo singer/guitarists on the folk circuit and certainly helped him to communicate his renowned performing skills to his audiences without having to fear the usual technical blips that can occur using a venue's house PA.

He always concentrated on live solo performances (which put him up-close with more intimate small audiences) and sharing his understanding of music; touring, creating his own online guitar school.[3] After an initial recording deal with Atlantic Records published five more CDs on his own independent label, Personal Records.[4] As a performer he was dedicated to sharing his gift with both audience and fellow musicians, and as a teacher he never hesitated to share in a manner that others could understand.

He performed frequently as a guest artist for recordings and films with, among many others, Al Stewart, Donovan, Mick Jagger, Elkie Brooks, Peter Sarstedt, Buggles, Barbara Dickson, and Nick Heyward. Guillory released Isaac Guillory, a self-titled album in 1974. For a while he delved into jazz fusion and recorded with Pacific Eardrum. Isaac lectured at the Guildhall School of Music in London. His music can be heard on 'A' Net Station,[5] a web radio station that he helped found, where his website continues to be available.[6]

He also wrote The Guitar Hand Book with friend, Ralph Denyer, which became the foundation for the BBC series Rockschool.

In his later years, he performed on the folk club circuit in Great Britain. His virtuoso guitar playing made him popular with audiences and ensured a steady stream of work as a performer and teacher. His final album, The Days of '49, recorded on tour during late 1999 and released in early 2000, included a number of solo compositions as well as arrangements of some folk standards. His tribute to the British guitarist John Renbourn, "Dear John", is one of the highlights of an outstanding album. -wiki