Vinyl records now in crisis: Apollo Transco Mastering lacquer plant is a total loss*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoCalWJS, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

At the very least, the other plant's works might be replicated to set up new facilities. Unless there is some reason unknown to me why this equipment can no longer be manufactured - though I can't imagine why as it was all built from raw design and materials once before - it should only be a matter of time before new facilities begin operation .. this time with adequate sprinkler systems, like the ones you see installed in the overhead awnings at petrol stations for extinguishing gasoline fires.

zphage and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  2. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I agree but the price increases will come faster than you think with uncertainty in the market

wipster and JohnCarter17 like this.
  3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Well, on the bright side there's always CDs

4_everyman, RSteven, Grant and 11 others like this.
  4. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

Assuming that this has a major effect on new and upcoming releases down on the roadmap: I'm wondering if this may end up resulting in some audiophile labels with long out of stock/OOP/sought after titles to consider dusting off old mothers/stampers and reintroduce some limited runs from the back catalog to keep business flowing.

5. contium

contium Forum Resident

Existing wax can continue to be pressed.

hutlock, dee and Crimson Witch like this.
  6. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

MisterNines, nosliw and Crimson Witch like this.
  7. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Didn't someone mention earlier that Apollo also manufactured the copper used in the DMM process, as well as cutting styli?

8. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

My buddy is a mastering engineer (Neumann VMS-80 lathe). He does a lot of cutting work and seems pretty worried.

wipster, violetvinyl, dee and 3 others like this.
  9. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Ok ok ok but do you you think the Beatles in Mono will get a repress?

Johnta7, uzn007, andy obrien and 8 others like this.
  10. Zapruder

If they kept the lacquers, and if they can't press any new vinyl product, I'd say that certainly increases the odds :biglaugh:

uzn007, Lucca90 and Clucking like this.
  11. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

Who said anything about not being about to press new vinyl? Especially since I'm sure the lacquers are in a good state.

12. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

no

13. Zapruder

I meant new vinyl product rather than new pressings of existing product.

14. biggysteve

15. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

There are too many industries that feed off new vinyl manufacturing.

A solution will exist.

DaleClark likes this.
  16. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

In the meantime the vinyl mastering engineers and other business reliant on new vinyl manufacturing still need to eat and pay rent.

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

WSJ links are like that. Try clicking through to the article from the WSJ Twitter feed. Make sure your browser and any ad blockers are configured to not block the referrer and you should be able to get to the article.

WSJ Twitter link: The Wall Street Journal on Twitter

~dave~~wave~, Shawn, Gumboo and 4 others like this.
  18. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Quotes from the article

Consumers won’t feel the effects of the fire for a few months, says Ms. Zapor-Gray. But “behind the scenes, the effect on the industry’s psyche has been immediate,” she says. The record-cutting professionals who rely on lacquers have existing stashes—but these aren’t likely big enough to last long.

“Lacquers are not cheap and degrade over time, so record-cutters do not keep them in abundant supply on-hand,” Ms. Zapor-Gray says.

An alternative exists—it’s called “direct metal mastering”—but it could be expensive and logistically cumbersome for plants accustomed to blank lacquers to use, experts say.

dee likes this.
  19. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Aw man... I bet the next Bowie Box set would’ve been awesome :cry:

Clucking likes this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. There should have been safety protocols installed. I always wonder about these fires and if there is criminal activity involved.

21. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

So... I am waiting on a repress of of the 45rpm Petsounds Stereo discs. What are the chances this will be delayed even further? Anyone?

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  23. biggysteve

Sorry buddy. It worked for me upon first try, so I thought it would be helpful. 'A' for effort, please?

24. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I'm not sure about the United States but at least in Canada a lot of older buildings don't retrofit with modern fire suppression. It's expensive to install, and may not be compatible. Uncontrolled fires like this are usually the result, especially with volatile, combustible materials. It's a miracle nobody was harmed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.