Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. I think EQ choices came into play for some of these titles.

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I agree with much of this. Anyone playing these at a low level would likely be very disappointed. They would sound really weedy. However, turn up the volume and everything is alright with the world.:) The good thing about the SHMs is that even played at top volume they still sound great. Some people have issues with the rolled off trebles, but I think it often benefits the music. Many of Elton’s albums are very bright on CD and SACD and this rectifies that.

Really enjoying Honky Chateau. The SACD has more attack, but at the expense of it being quite loud and really bright.

supermd, Jarleboy, George P and 5 others like this.
  3. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I am currently blasting Captain Fantastic for the third time this week...a large whisky, a dog sleeping on my lap and Elton shaking the walls. All is right with my world tonight :nauga:

4. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

What whiskey ya drinkin?

5. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Glenlivet 14 year old single malt...very nice.

6. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Universal provided sound samplers of this album in 2018, and more likely this is 2018 master.
    Check out this post first, then go to YouTube:
    P.S.
    This is the one:
    Empty Sky

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    George P likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

A little promotion here for my recent Elton thread.

Elton John Appreciation Thread.

Please drop by as it’s struggling a bit. I wanted to make it the thread for discussing all things Elton related, but nobody is taking much notice.

:D

DesertHermit, Jarleboy and George P like this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks again!

I was curious how many bonus tracks the SHM CD has, since my Japan DJM 33PD has nine from the Lady Samantha compilation. It has all of the tracks above, except for All Across The Havens. I have the To Be Continued box set and was hoping that All Across The Havens was in there, but it isn't.

9. toilet_doctor

I don't have it, but as far I know, there are no bonus tracks in this release.

P.S.
    It took them a year to find more or less suitable for the flat transfer tapes of the main tracks.
    If they worked on bonus tracks, many of us couldn’t see the release in this life.

ispace and Oyster Boy like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

If it has thirteen tracks (as it does in that youtube link you gave above) then it has 4 bonus tracks. The original album had only 9 tracks.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

No bonus tracks on the SHM-CD, just the original 9. All Across the Havens is on the 1992 Rare Masters Compilation, which is still available from various vendors.

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Doesn't sound like that dog is sleeping. :laugh:

DesertHermit likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

OK, I have been listening to these Elton SHM CDs in chronological order (I skipped Empty Sky) and have short reviews for the first four below, along with ratings in italics for how they compare to each other. One thing I want to mention first is that I have been slowly accumulating SHM CDs and SACDs over the last year or so and each time I listen to one for the first time, I find that I am not very impressed. I am left feeling like they didn't finish (or do) the mastering job. The Elton CDs are no exception. Listening to them, I wasn't in awe of the vocals, the details, or the overall fidelity - but I also didn't have to have to turn them down because the treble was too harsh or the bass was too distorted. These SHMs have challenged me, because they impress in a very different way than most other CDs and SACDs have impressed me in the past. Anyway, here's what I have:

S/T - Good - I found this one to sound dull at lower volumes, wish it opened up a bit more when I turned it up. While the other Elton SHM CDs seem to have a similar EQ, it seems to be more pronounced here. I found that the imaging was murky on this at times. I also found the bass heavy on a few tracks. Still, for it’s overall smooth EQ, I find this to be the best mastering that I have heard for this album. Better than the UK DJM CD and better than the MCA CD.

Tumbleweed Connection - Very Good - To me, this one is a noticeable step up from the S/T SHM, SQ wise. Nice clarity, with a smooth, crankable EQ. I find this to be the best mastering I have heard for this album, better than my previous favorites, the MFSL and Japan MCA. Also better than the DJM/Polydor.

Madman Across The Water - Very Good - Sounds about as good as the Tumbleweed SHM. Again, nice smooth, crankable EQ, nice dynamics, highlighted on the first two tracks. When the drums come in on Levon, they have a nice kick without being boomy. I find this to be the best mastering I have heard for this album, bettering my prior favorite, the original USA MCA CD.

Honky Chateau - Very Good - At first, I liked this one a bit more than the others I had heard so far, but as I continued, I liked it about the same. It sounds more lively due to being more open on top than the other three I have heard. Otherwise, it has that nice balanced EQ I heard on the others. Nothing is harsh, but nothing is dull. Nice kick to the drums too. I find this to be the best mastering I have heard for this album, bettering my prior favorite, the MFSL, along with the WG DJM and the Japan for USA MCA CD.

14. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

I believe the 2010(?) SACD is still available for the S/T. I find it to be the best digital version I have heard of this release. It's the single layer one, no CD layer.

George P and Jarleboy like this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, can you say how it differs from the SHM CD?

16. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

From way back in this thread...... Elton John (S/T)
    The winner here (and to my surprise) was the SHM SACD (Stereo). I had not listened to this for a while . The first thing I noticed was that it was not compressed (DR approximately 13) . It has the low end of the SHM but it is punchy and clear. It has just enough high end to keep things crisp without being fatiguing and has wonderful soundstage and channel separation. The Ludwig Vinyl is nice and warm and similar to the newest SHM. The SACD would be my go to on this one with a three-way tie between the WG DJM, Polydor and New SHM (Polydor for punch and high end, other two for extra bass and warmth).

17. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

and the SHM CD compared to the others........

"The new SHM CD sounds good. It was very similar to the W.German DJM. Nice warmth and bass response, but somewhat muddy and lacking punch on tracks with significant percussion. The P0lydor was bright and brought back that "punch" but was a little lacking on the low end and could be fatiguing when cranked. The 95 Remaster was compressed with an unpleasant bass "muddiness".

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks!

19. toilet_doctor

Thanks, George, a very pleasant observation.

There are posts in this thread that collect all the comments for each album, and I tried to make some sense out of them in order to come to at least approximate consensus. (Still need to make Rock of The Westies in the same way). I don’t want you to read them before you finish, but then.

A couple words… This is a first impression. After you’ll move forward with other albums, you may want to change your mind. People change their minds on SQ all the time, and it’s normal. After listening all of them, you may want to re-arrange them.
    Also, when you listen and compare many albums at the same time, in the end, everything can mix. You think: this is so, but the next morning you try it again with a fresh ear, and it comes to you often more clarified - you changed your mind.

“Madman Across The Water - Very Good - Sounds about as good as the Tumbleweed SHM. Again, nice smooth, crankable EQ, nice dynamics, highlighted on the first two tracks”.
    I tried Madman for a few days, only one title. And I can say that not the first two tracks, but the first three and a half sound very good. Then the sound went down and dropped significantly towards the end of the album. Can we leave the sound in the Very Good category (overall) based on the strong impression of the first tracks? What if the first tracks sound near “Average”, and then the sound has improved to a “Very Good” level?
    I just want to give you some ideas ...

20. George P

George P Notable Member

As I listen to the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SHM CD, I keep noticing something I noticed on the other SHM CDs that I have heard, something I am finding consistently distracting. The imaging is blurry. I am missing the sharpness in the images that I get with most of my better mastered CDs. I suspect that this is partially due to the fact that the treble is rolled off, but I wonder if there may be other factors at play here.

Anyone else notice this and have thoughts on it?

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Listening to Captain Fantastic today and once again, noticing that the sound/images are often diffuse. I am surprised to not read other people reporting on this in this thread.

c-eling and toilet_doctor like this.
  22. ispace

ispace Senior Member

I'm surprised they put so much effort into the packaging but messed up the CD text alignment. I've seen this on several other recent Japanese reissues, does anyone know why?

[​IMG]

toilet_doctor, c-eling and George P like this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

Can you please say a bit about how the MFSL and the SHM for Madman compare, please?

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:laugh:
    Wow.
    Agree, all of the SHM's I have are terrible when it comes to face art (lack of)

toilet_doctor and ispace like this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I notice the 2018 Elton John shm-cd’s are no longer available at cdjapan.

However, I see there are now 2019 Elton John shm-cd’s.

Are these 2019 Elton’s the same mastering as the 2018?