Madonna: Madame X - album released 14th June 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Apr 30, 2019.

1. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

2. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Interesting that there's been no mention of rescheduling the cancelled shows. I feel bad for the fans that had tickets for the cancelled shows that can't attend one of the others.

3. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

4. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

If I spent my hard earned money on a ticket only to have the artist come on 2 plus hours late, that would be the last of my money said artist would ever see. Very rude and disrespectful imo.

5. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

While I commend Madonna for being a trooper and trying to push herself (she's 61, 22 year old Britney twisted her ankle and canceled six months worth of dates back in 2004), I think people won't fault her if she just cancels the remainder of the tour and gives herself some much needed r&r as well as time to map out what to do in the future. Obviously she's in a lot of pain and the 61 year old body is not the same as the 31 year old body or even the 45 year old body

6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’m not sure how many more dates she has to go, but I think she should definitely cancel them. Health is important. This is only a tour. It’s not worth the risk.

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Hopefully Madge does and comes back with a vengeance.

8. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

what I don't understand is her defiance about lateness. People were already complaining at MDNA and Rebel Heart and from everything I've heard, it's only been worse this tour. It would've been one thing if she'd been doing this since the 80s, but it's only been in recent years, which coincidentally enough aligns with her diehard audience getting older and older to where even if they're off work the next day, a night out until 1-2 am isn't quite the same as it had been in your teens and 20s.

LiveNation should've been as stern with her as they were with Guns N Roses. As a result, GNR have been playing Springsteen-length shows (when I saw them in 2017, they started around 7:40, we got out around 11:20) so at least they're giving the fans a lot. Madonna just does the "A queen is never late to the ball" stuff to excuse it when people are booing. Madonna's audience is getting older and you don't see as many younger people jumping on board as we saw even in the 2000s when "Music" was a #1 smash and "Hung Up" was dominating TRL and doing better than younger stars. Times have changed

Psychedelic Good Trip and Bink like this.
  9. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

That’s a really nice review. Thanks.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Excellent read thanks for sharing.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  11. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Here's where Madonna f***ed up: adding additional dates.

Especially if she gets sick or injured, why even add them when you're not up to do them?

Another part she messed up: touring around an album only the diehards bought/streamed and apparently most probably never bought Madame X.

I know she hates to do her old songs being mistaken for a "nostalgia" act, but here's my point: she's 61 now. Her career is reaching the 40-year mark very soon. She's in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. She should just be assured of her place in history instead of constantly chasing the spotlight. Then again, that's what made Madonna Madonna but it would also be the thing that undoes her.

12. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

The real problem is that when a lot of artists give in to nostalgia, they never come back from it. I think of Kiss and how they made one of the heaviest and strongest albums of their career in the early 90s with "Revenge". Once they realized there was more money to be made in putting the makeup and costumes back on, they've just been a nostalgia act since even if they've made new albums in the time but unlike their tour for Revenge, since then new music is incidental and not as important as "Love Gun" or "Rock N Roll All Night". I hate when artists go on the road without new product to support and that is a byproduct of the nostalgia market. You will never see Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber go out on the road with their latest album being four years old and nothing new on the horizon, but yet for 60s-80s (even starting to be 90s too) artists this is common. I don't blame Madonna because if she gives in to nostalgia and starts doing anniversary tours, that's pretty much it, kiss new material on a semi-regular basis goodbye because it's going to be all about performing Holiday and Like A Prayer for aging Gen X-ers wanting to recapture their youth for 2 hours. Touring without something new to promote is essentially throwing in the towel and conceding that your best days are behind you and it's time to live in the past.

While I can agree this tour maybe focuses too much on MX with it being over half the show, I thought Rebel Heart was a perfect mixture of showcasing the new album but also giving people enough of the oldies to satisfy them. I would never want her to be like The Stones or someone and essentially have the same setlist every single tour with maybe 2-3 minor alterations, and if new material is out, it's buried in the setlist and not given preferential treatment over the overplayed warhorses.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  13. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

Britney didn't twist her ankle.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

How was she to know she'd suffer this persistent injury when they announced the shows?

At least in the States, they gave away copies of "X" with every ticket sold.

So I didn't "buy" it, but I own multiple copies!

15. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Well I stand corrected that it was worse than that, but the media did report it in 2004 that she had twisted her ankle while rehearsing and scrapped an entire tour instead of postponing a few shows to heal up. Plus, that was the summer she was spotted all over the place walking barefoot out of gas station restrooms and dating Kevin Federline, so that didn't help her reputation and it was seen as the start of Britney's "IDGAF" stage that still lasts to the present.

Either way, Madonna's knee has been killing her for months and she's pushed herself through immense pain because she insists on going up there when even the fans are beginning to say it's okay to take a break and cancel the rest of the tour. Britney was almost 1/3 the age M is now and scrapped an entire tour overnight while Madge has been insistent on trying to push onward and a 61 year old heals at a slower pace than a 22 year old.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

The ticket bundle thing is a major reason why I cringe when people go to a vet's concert and doesn't know a single new song. The artist is giving you a copy of the new album for a reason, so you'll familiarize yourself with the new material by the time you see the show.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  17. Psychedelic Good Trip

18. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I agree with you. I hate to see her go the way of Prince, Tom Petty, etc...

Jmac1979 likes this.
  19. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

DJ WILBUR and Jmac1979 like this.
  20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I love reading these Tracy Thorn blogs that you post. She really is an excellent writer.

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

If I'd have been there I'd have stood on my seat and started shouting 'why didn't you just take to the stage on time?'
    Its those fawning mega fans who go on about how she's the queen and entitled to be late etc etc that confirm to her that it's ok to perform a less than complete show.
    If I had paid £500 for a ticket I would have been raging to miss even one song from the show.
    She is playing her fans for suckers, pure and simple, and they are to blind to see it..

22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I swear not a week goes by without another issue on this tour. I really hope Madonna gets it all together come the next era and takes notes of what not to do again

bob60 and GlassPepper like this.
  23. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

Does a general Madonna thread exist? i searched and couldn't find any signs of one...

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think the closest would be the album discussion thread so I say go for it and start one.

25. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

Lol, i'm too scared. I'll wait for someone else to do it :cool:

Crimson Witch and Bink like this.