Vinyl Storage - Kickstarter - interesting find...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael Renwick, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Renwick

Michael Renwick https://www.reddit.com/r/VPIturntables/ Thread Starter

Chelle - Your Vinyl Companion

I don't even know how I stumbled upon this but I found this product to be interesting.
    Unfortunately it seduced me by being "affordable" at $113, and that turned out to not be the case.
    Regardless, I think these seem pretty nice, and thought I would post for other to make their own decision.
    I like supporting small businesses.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Looks like an extra layer of complexity for the benefit of ergonomics to me. But I wouldn't rule out people being intrigued with the concept. Can't see that much stability or balance, once the drawer is fully-open, though...the weight would shift completely forward. Can four little chrome legs really prevent that from tipping towards you...?

Especially in the two-tier model, if you happened to have both of them pulled out before you realize your mistake and lose control.

luckybaer and Leonthepro like this.
  3. Michael Renwick

Michael Renwick https://www.reddit.com/r/VPIturntables/ Thread Starter

Not sure, but very good points.
    Non the less I was still interested until I looked at the options.
    Way to much going on there for me to process this late. I think
    they should really clean that up.

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I have to agree, it's not safe. Back in the day when people used file cabinets instead of pdf files, the had a tendency to want to tip if you didn't fill the them from the bottom up. They were pretty safe if they were filled from to the bottom up. What made them safe if properly filled was a lockout to prevent opening more than 1 drawer at time. With stacked individual boxes and sliders on all the drawers, if the thing starts to tip, all of the drawers start shifting the center of gravity forward. When that happen, you better run because you aren't going to stop it.

Shawn and Leonthepro like this.
  5. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

They look great, but I would need about 60.

389 Tripower, Mike from NYC and mace like this.
  6. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

All the people who have contributed to the start up of this product must only have 12 records!

7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Looks decently nice. But this is not what I want for storage unless I know my collection will only ever be around 100 records or so.
    Ill stick to Kallax.

Ive since long had an idea for a shelf where the dividers can be moved to expand space for genres or what have you.
    Its annoying to have to have 2 jazz cubbies at opposite sides of the room once one is filled up and I get more records.
    That or Ill have to rearrange lots of records.

8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Of course, long time collectors would never back something like this, let alone even go to kickstarters website.

9. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

Why would anybody spend that much money on an empty box?
    Serious question.

dmckean likes this.
  10. ogdens_sliced

Yes, and they will have to pawn 11 of them as down payment.
    I hope a few of them own cats.

Malinky likes this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Basically a typical drawer system but in modular form. Looks good enough & I do like the concept (ditto the Atocha ones) as I would prefer to flip like at a store rather than go by spine.

But at $230 for a crate and cube combo it's a very expensive option, especially since Kickstarter prices tend to be lower than retail, for anyone with even a moderate collection of a few hundred.

I'd need so many of these cubes that it would make the Atocha ones a better deal! :)

12. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

yep, looks like they'd tip unless you had a cabinet or two on top but still...Kallax remains king in my house...almost ready for another 2x8!

timind likes this.
  13. Donald Burger

Donald Burger Forum Resident

I'd prefer storage where I can view my albums front to back rather than left to right similar to what you see in record shops. Something that is waist level. My current arrangement has no records on the bottom shelf because it's so damned uncomfortable to be on my knees thumbing through what I want to play next.

dmckean, keiron99 and McGuy like this.
  14. ogdens_sliced

Couldn't agree more.
    Kallax is King, Long live Kallax.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I made one for about $85. First woodworking project ever and it turned out amazing.

If I can do it, anyone can. Took me and my dad 2.5h to do it. Not bad for first-timers!

Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

Plenty of ways to finish them to make them look nice afterward. I didn't do it due to lack of time but it's just as functional.

bever70 likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Because they've already spend more money on things to put in such a box.

17. Dillydipper

Do a search on "record cabinet flip shelf", and see how many variations on this theme you come up with:
    [​IMG]
    You can also find them with the bottom being a roll-out shelf, which should still be pretty stable, because the weight on top stays where it is.

bever70 likes this.
  18. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Not bad but would be really expensive for anyone with a serious collection and I like to see my albums.

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

It's like inventing a salt shaker that only holds a few grains of salt. :thumbsdow

bever70, JohnCarter17 and martinb4 like this.
  20. ogdens_sliced

But if you aquire cheaper / better value boxes you can get more of the good stuff that you store in them.
    I'll take records over fancy/expensive boxes 24/7.
    But yeah, each to their own.

21. russk

russk Forum Resident

Grumpy audiophiles. I think they look cool and might even consider ordering one.

Big Blue and ddarch like this.
  22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

That is stupid - ridiculous price aside, I'm not a fan of looking at my records from the spine, and far prefer flipping through them like at a record store.

This, below, is one of the cooler things I've see, and while it's expensive ($1,500), it's not nearly as much as that single drawer, and again, the records are facing you.

[​IMG]

rocnred, longdist01, beowulf and 3 others like this.
  23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I can see the appeal, and I think the price is probably in line with the cost and labor of building. I don’t, in general, like flip-style storage, because I think there is too much potential leaning involved, and I like my records un-warped. However, this one looks a bit more protective than most solutions I have seen, because of how narrow the divisions are.

I would agree this is really a solution that makes more sense for people with relatively small collections, though, who like the aesthetics and ergonomics of it.

24. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Is their a link where you can purchase this?

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

DrZhivago, beowulf and Hershiser like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.