Madonna - Appreciation Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

This thread has been created to discuss all things Madonna - the music, the videos, the tours, the films, the archive releases (or lack thereof).

2. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Why are there no deluxe reissues? I’d love a Ray of Light box especially.

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

its a bummer everyone's phone was locked up when she was curfewed and sound was turned off at her recent Madame X UK gig and did "I Rise" accapella with the house lights up... now that would be fun to take a look at. thanks for starting the thread.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

there's a rumor that Warner is planning on releasing a deluxe edition of Like A Prayer in the near future

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love Ray Of Light but not for nothing I really love Erotica as much. Really long albums taking advantage of the cd format but regardless of what many consider filler I love it all on both albums.
    Love this Madge thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I actually considered doing a Madonna appreciation thread myself. However, after my thoughts and comments on the Madame X experience, I thought that maybe I wasn’t the man for the job after all.:D

Still, good luck with this. As you know, I’ve recently started a similar thread for Elton John, and it’s like pulling teeth! I keep having to beg people to participate.:D

7. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I have been a lifelong fan of Madonna's since Lucky Star came out in 1983. So, I've been there pretty much since the beginning.

I'm not crazy about her demeanor or attitude during this Madame X era (though I like the album).

But I've loved and supported her for almost 40 years. I really hope we get some type of archival reissue plan one day but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Madonna always likes to look forward, and I am afraid she might get too involved in a reissue campaign (if one ever happens) and veto too many things. It's hard enough getting a proper hits compilation so a reissue campaign is an uphill battle.

I believe she could have one of the greatest catalogue reissues if it's done properly.

8. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Big Madonna fan here, too. As a teenager of the earliest days of MTV, I took notice of her very early on. Bought the first album, liked it a lot, then Like a Virgin came along and I loved it. Loved Desperately Seeking Susan -- still do -- and I even took a course in college that studied that film (it was a course in narrative strategies for film & television).

Her first two albums were among the first dozen or so CDs I bought back in 1984. I loved playing those albums LOUDLY! Bought all the 7" and 12" singles, picture discs, CD singles, everything I could get my hands on.

I've seen her in concert on three occasions, too -- her first three concert tours. For the Who's That Girl tour in 1987, I lined up hours in advance to buy tickets. That concert was in the Houston Astrodome, and I ended up with tickets on the floor quite close to the stage. It was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had! She puts on an amazing show.

I would totally buy super deluxe editions of any and all of her albums. I've assembled my own "super deluxe edition" playlists for several of her albums, collecting together every song, b-side, remix, and non-album track I have in my collection. It would be very nice to have all of that material collected together officially.

I haven't been as enthusiastic about everything she's done in recent years, but I have continued to buy each album she puts out. Some albums are OK, others not so much, but I'll always buy anything new she puts out, I'm sure.

9. Bink

Someone posted this link on the Pop Justice Forum. Don't know anything about this site but interesting anyway:

https://www.space1999.com/en/shop/item/81159773

The date of release is a little ambiguous - depends on how you format the date - day before month or vice versa?

10. Bobby Morrow

If it’s true, I’d guess it’s the July release date. I’ve gone through Amazon’s future releases pages and there’s no mention of it. These only go to about the end of April, though.

Crimson Witch and Bink like this.
  11. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

That's interesting - I wonder what could fill 4 discs? I guess two could be for a complete live show, then two for the album and remixes.

12. Bink

I wonder if Warners want to mirror the archive releases they have put out for Prince's Purple Rain and 1999. So in my mind I am thinking:

1. Original album
    2. Demos and unreleased tracks
    3. Single versions
    4. Remixes

I wonder if they will extend it to include remixes for Vogue, Justify My Love and Rescue Me. I know it's not really the same era but I can't really see them being able to fit them elsewhere.

Would be nice if they included some blu ray/ dvd element to it too. 5.1 remix perhaps?

I am also aware that they are also due to release a blu ray of Truth or Dare in Europe (thankfully restoring the proper title). I wonder if they are releasing both releases together given that they are more or less from the same era. A release of the full Paris concert as a bonus would be a holy grail release for many fans though.

13. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

Blu Ray/DVD with 4K remastered music videos and possibly any shows that were recorded? :cheers:

14. Bobby Morrow

I’d like a Hi Res stereo mix too.

15. GlassPepper

I'd like to see a Madonna "1" album similar to the Beatles release. Madonna has had like 13 UK number ones. include a disc of the videos too, just like "1+" ;)

16. Bink

Absolutely. In fact there are several professionally filmed concerts from the Blond Ambition tour so they have plenty to choose from.

Crimson Witch and GlassPepper like this.
  17. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

When Madonna turns 100 she’ll probably still look like she’s 75. Her current boyfriend is in his 20s. She looks great now.

18. Bink

I can see the appeal but as there have been a few singles compilations that have left off several essential singles, I would prefer it if they compiled a big boxset of all her singles.

19. Bobby Morrow

They could do both. Like Elton did with his To Be Continued boxset and Very Best Of comp which were released around the same time.

Although there’s yet to be a definitive Madonna hits comp, I think the public would snap up a “1’ collection from her. Even if it didn’t have everything her diehard fans wanted. Madonna is one of the few acts who could release a “1” comp and it would all be genuine chart toppers.

20. GlassPepper

Madonna - CD Single Collection

seems Japan already got one... in 1996... (why do japan always get the best stuff...)

andrewskyDE and Bink like this.
  21. Bink

Nice. But I was thinking of a set that collects the singles on 6 discs or however many is needed, rather than a boxset of individual singles.

GlassPepper likes this.
  22. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I enjoy Madonna's early 1980s albums a lot. I find I am also enjoying MadameX quite a bit as well.

joy stinson, KJTC, DJ WILBUR and 2 others like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

It would be such a massive undertaking putting those singles together. I wouldn’t want the job.:) If the record company took the CD and vinyl route they could make a fortune.

Bink and GlassPepper like this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

Someone on here got that box a while ago. As you can imagine, it doesn’t come cheap. I’m not sure my current CD player would accept those 3” discs, though.:)

GlassPepper likes this.
  25. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

July 3 falls on a Friday which is the standard release date for albums so that would make sense.

I hope if this is true they go the Prince 1999 route and do a deluxe vinyl as well.

I can see Warner putting Remixed Prayers for RSD especially since her RSD releases have largely been chronological and last year covered the EP's coinciding with True Blue

Bink and GlassPepper like this.