SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Further

Further Forum Resident

This is proof of just how differently people hear. I have the first four Black Sabbath vinyl reissues from 2016, that supposedly use the 2012 remasters and to my ear, these are FAR from bright sounding. They have a really nice warm sound to me. I bought the first two and was so impressed with them, I bought the other two and I am one who can't stand really bright sounding records.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm playing this disc now:
    MCAD-5701
    matrix #950819H MCAD-5701 MFG BY CINRAM

The vocals are in-phase, and don't drop out in mono.

3. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I have (as stated earlier) MCAD-5701, but also has JVC-436. They do drop out. Not arguing....just stating fact.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Can you post a sample? I have both my physical CD and a rip that a friend sent, and neither has the problem.

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Mine is the same as yours, with JVC-436.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Every pressing has JVC-436 on it.

john lennonist likes this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Derek Gee, BeSteVenn and JamesD1957 like this.
  8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is just like the deal with Joe South's Walk a Mile In My Shoes.

9. JamesD1957

I can’t at the moment but I’ll try to do that this weekend.

10. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Joe South rocks!

Dok likes this.
  11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes indeed he rocks, but what I mean is that Walk a Mile In My Shoes is so out of phase that no matter how you adjust the phasing, it cannot easily be corrected, it takes a remix to do so.

12. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

@Steve Hoffman Which DCC or Audio Fidelity CD/SACD would you say was the biggest improvement over the standard releases?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's different from mine. They don't stay in sync, and while the left channel is the same polarity, the right channel is flipped.

14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Most?

Time Is On My Side likes this.
  15. JamesD1957

No need for me to post. The second sample posted by Stefan is what I hear on the small speaker.

16. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

ACTUALLY, the issue is you have to flip one of the channels 90 degrees (instead of the full 180). This fixes the issue completely!

17. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

Maybe it's time for a remastering?

18. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

@Steve Hoffman I imagine this a sensitive subject, so I apologize in advance for bringing it up.

You said there was some post production tampering on the AF Soft Parade disc which reduced the dynamics and suggested the Doug Sax AP SACD as an alternative.

Was the AF Morrison Hotel left as you intended and un-tampered with (aside from the clicking problems which were eventually sorted out)?

Did Ray /AF ever give any explanation as to what happened with The Soft Parade?

Apologies if this has already been discussed. I dug through several threads and didn’t see anything.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    kiddo4 and SOONERFAN like this.
  19. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

This arrived today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done by you and Kevin Gray.
    will be cleaning this and playing LOUD.

Maybe you can say something about this project. The source for the Shaft theme. Which version you took. What is was like mastering this piece of soul mojo.
    And how did you fit 19 minutes of "Do your thing" onto one side at 45 rpm???

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    ultron9, sunspot42 and bmoregnr like this.
  20. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Just played this.
    The dynamics are huge on this. Playing side 2, doing your thing now.....

21. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I can only assume this was the reaction when they tested the disc.

[​IMG]

yasujiro likes this.
  22. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

Hey @Steve Hoffman - another Doors question for ya! There’s a discussion I started here regarding the pressing differences of the various DCC Doors discs. I know it’s been almost 30 years, but maybe you can help clarify a few things? Thanks!

23. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Hi Steve, hope you are well. Not sure if you have any info but what is the best version of Roger Miller’s Greatest Hits ?

24. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Hi Steve, You're version of "Never My Love" by the Association on Changin' Times is the best that song has sounded by far. It happens to be one of my all time favorite songs. Was there any reason why any of the labels you worked with never did any Association titles? Now Sounds was able to access the master tapes in 2011 for their releases, and they sound good, but not on your level in my opinion. Any "insight" would be greatly appreciated.

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I like the Association but no one I ever worked for did. So there ya go.

The trick in mastering in dealing with the sound of anything mixed at United/Western is to do a bit of the opposite of what they did in mixing. Makes it come out more musical sounding..