Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Interesting. I haven't noticed with older titles done with this manufacturing.
    I decided to skip these George.

2. c-eling

They were delayed a year.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I have never heard a CD or SACD sound like these Elton SHM CDs and they all have the same sound, to varying degrees. It's puzzling.

c-eling likes this.
  4. c-eling

What's it sound like- a digital blur, staging is offset?
    I think it's these new converter's they're using. Some modern remasters I've heard carry this trait-something just seems off (the latest Floyd DB comes to mind) hi-rez and vinyl

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks! Long thread.

c-eling likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

At its worst, it sounds like the music is thin, distant and out of focus. Like I can't picture them in my mind as being solid images on the soundstage.

c-eling likes this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It's funny because I feel just the opposite. I find these Elton SHM-CD blow the previous better versions (MFSL or DJM) away on several levels and one of them is the clarity if imaging on percussion, cymbals, etc. In fact, my common complaint about old 80's CDs that are so treasured by some here is that early digital converters really messed up the imaging. Modern converters finally sound to me like good vinyl with that sense of 3D almost holographic space. To refer to a post above about Madman, I find the SHM-CD bass too bloated and prefer the MFSL version for the bass but the highs and overall imaging sound much more realistic to me on the SHM-CD version.

ego1jr, Oyster Boy, c-eling and 4 others like this.
  8. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

One thing is bad print alignment, another - the lack of the face art on the CD.

Uni and Warner follow Sound Lab's recommendations that the images and prints on the front of the CD negatively affect SQ. They try no art and min print, especially when it comes to their audiophile-oriented releases:

(from the 2019 Warner Rickie Lee Jones S/T MQA UHQCD review)

[​IMG]

Warner uses the same MQA UHQCD design with a metallic green protective coating, using its new “rising sun” logo:
    [​IMG]

Min print and on the edge of the disc.
    [​IMG]

Warner uses traditional remastering (new and old) rather than flat transfer as Uni does.

c-eling, Oyster Boy and ispace like this.
  9. toilet_doctor

P.S.

(from another post)
    Inside of Digibook I met such an interesting info:
    "According to many tests and experiment, color pigments are always affecting the Quality of the disc. Therefore, this UHCD is intentionally printed with minimum information on the outer surface of the disc."

[​IMG]

Here is picture of 'La Spagna' in UHQCD is the very first title made in UHQCD by a label outside Asia!
    [​IMG]

PhantomStranger, c-eling and ispace like this.
  10. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Wow this is the first time I have ever heard that disc art affects sound quality. Other than the green paint around the edge of the disc craze in the 1980s.

the Marker Trick for CDs. Why does it work?

toilet_doctor likes this.
  11. c-eling

Good morning Stefan! :)
    I've been casually watching this thread for quite some time, it's been a great resource with some excellent reviews and opinions. :)
    For the titles i'm interested in I only have one DJM (Piano Player) the rest being Japan for US's or old US manufacture's so I have nothing for comparison.
    Converters, who knows. I just know I didn't enjoy the latest Floyd's or early Gabriel's. SHM wise as I stated above I didn't notice anything off with other titles I have (38 Special, The Police-Plat) where the mastering's kept dynamics intact.

12. toilet_doctor

The only thing that excites me less than the unusable edge of the disc is the central hole of the disc.
    If only once my eye doctor tells me: “You are losing your sight, you must see the world through a 15 mm hole in a solid object.”
    And I will take my CDs, I will walk and watch everything through this little hole.

I expect that one day Vision Lab will add a note: "According to many tests and experiments, your vision will improve if you paint a solid object in green."
    That is why I have been buying these fancy Japanese CDs since 2010. They already have a metallic green protective coating that I will need so much to see better.
    Japanese... They left me no choice, they won again.

Oyster Boy and ispace like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

When you get a chance, can you (and others in this thread) please post your overall favorite mastering for Elton's first eleven albums here:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...ng-of-each-of-the-first-eleven-albums.174541/

Thanks! :wave:

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So I kind of gather that pretty much everyones in agreement that the following current Elton SHMs are at least very good?

Honky Chatt.

Tumbleweed

Madman

Any top sounding smh’s Im leaving out?

15. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SHM as well. I think Blue Moves SHM is probably the only unanimous winner so far.

supermd, Oyster Boy, jhm and 3 others like this.
  16. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Revisited the SHM Blue Moves after quite a break, must say it is stunning. Still hearing stuff I haven't heard before, subtle bits of keyboard on the left channel on Chameleon being an example. For me these SHMs still remain a triumph. Perfect.

ispace, Carlox and George P like this.
  17. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I am the only dissenter on Blue Moves (see previous post). I had bought it for my friend’s birthday and sneakily took a listen. Due to the overwhelming raves these remasters have gotten in this thread, I took a chance and bought two more (DSMIOTPP and Caribou), this time for myself. Thought I heard the same problems until I played “I’ve Seen The Saucers”...the upper end shrillness of the previous versions was gone, and the song seemed to open up with greater detail. “Now I get it!” I screamed in euphoria as I danced around the room. Well, not really, but now I wish I had that present back so I could listen once again and see if I was wrong. :)

Oyster Boy likes this.
  18. Oyster Boy

The SHM Blue Moves is the first version I have heard where Shoulder Holster is actually an enjoyable listen with great instrument seperation. I actually like the track now:)

Mooserfan and Carlox like this.
  19. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

So I guess the consensus is that Blue Moves is the best digital version for SHM?

I've heard the original CD is a little thin sounding and is the late 90's remaster any good?

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Correct.

Carlox likes this.
  21. Oyster Boy

The original is thin but very dynamic, the 96 is loud, but not excessively loud to my ears and it was my go to for a long time and I could have lived with it. However, the SHM pulls off being dynamic, detailed and yet has great sounding bass, drums and percussion, so the excitement is still there where relevant.

Ariel Aditya, Carlox, ispace and 2 others like this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

Hey,

Can you list your other favorites in this thread, please

Elton John - Your favorite CD Mastering of each of the First Eleven Albums

Thanks!

Mark87 likes this.
  23. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I made a similar observation here about Curtains on Captain Fantastic:
    Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

George P likes this.
  24. toilet_doctor

Hi George P,
    Can you move on with the rest of your SHM(s)? ROTW - in particular...

25. Oyster Boy

George P likes this.