MoFi Ultradeck Vs. StudioDeck

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mmmark, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Also, the just-announced Technics SL1200Mk7 and 1500C 'tables are coming.

Best guess I have on the mk7's US price is $1199, based on a UK audio shop letting the cat out of the bag early.

Big Blue likes this.
  2. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I demoed the UD and GR side by side. My thoughts are posted somewhere on these forums.

The GR is also an excellent table. No rumble or noise when I demoed in a very high end system. I preferred the UD, but it was purely a matter of preference rather than superiority. You should be happy with either but you’ll have the most peace of mind if you give both a shot.

For the record Rega P6 also surprised me and I was glad I gave it a fair shake.

Heckto35 and HiFi Guy like this.
  3. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I just bought a nearly new one. Can't wait for it to show up!

Cyclone Ranger and displayname like this.
  4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Congratulations & enjoy!

I installed the MMF-7.3 motor I acquired from Ebay thanks to your tip. It's working just fine but takes longer to hit 33 1/3 rpm than the Pro-Ject Speed Box S. However it's always at speed by the time I'm ready to lower the tonearm.

5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Nice. Do you have the 2M Bronze cart on there?

6. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

No, a LOMC Denon 301mkII into a Lounge Copla and then an Icon Audio PS2 tube photo stage.

7. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Has anyone compared these Mofi decks to a Rega Planar 8 or RP8 (around the same cost in the UK)?

Heckto35 likes this.
  8. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I considered the MoFi decks, however, decided on a Technics 1200GR. I returned a MoFi phono pre---very cheap build, the rca jacks were really loose (went with more expensive ELAC).

With that said, I'd go Rega. Rega is a full time component-TT company. Rega engineers, etc are dedicated full time to their components. MoFi is fine audiophile record label, however, their electronics are a "second fiddle" product. Plus, Rega has long standing history of quality. And at the end of the day, I'm willing to bet the REGA will have better re sale value. Don't get me wrong, the MoFi decks seem really nice. For the long term, I'd rather buy a car from Toyota vs a tire company that decided to get into building cars. (I know....very poor, goofy example.).

Erocka2000 likes this.
  9. displayname

Country of origin makes a huge difference between these two. In the US the Rega P6 is at the same price point as the Ultradeck.
    In the UK, I would lean towards Rega. In the US I would lean towards the Ultradeck (which is what I purchased).

One caveat, in the US the current price reduction on the outgoing RP8 is significant. At this exact moment I would also suggest anyone shopping in the US also consider the RP8, which is currently the same price as the Ultradeck. If I was shopping at this moment, it's very possible I could have ended up with an RP8 instead. If the RP8 has the same price reduction in the UK, that seems like it would be the obvious choice of the 3 models.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

“.....a second fiddle product” :doh:

The StudioPhono sounds good and is well appointed. It’s reasonably built for the money considering it’s made in the USA.

The turntables are built to a much higher standard. You can’t make an accurate blanket statement about MoFi’s quality based upon their least expensive offering any more than you can judge a Rega P10 based upon experience with a P1.

My last turntable before my UltraDeck was a Rega P3- upgraded to the moon. The UltraDeck is a far better turntable.

Rega makes a lot of sense for those who live in the U.K. as they are a better value there. The value proposition with the UltraDeck isn’t so hot in the U.K. where it’s priced similarly to the P8.

Resale on turntables generally are poor, which is why some dealers won’t take them on trade- Upscale Audio comes to mind. I wouldn’t recommend picking a turntable based on resale value. Pick the one you won’t want to trade.

The MoFi tables are excellent tables and priced fairly for what one gets, at least for US buyers.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    felizecat, Heckto35, F1fletch and 2 others like this.
  11. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you think the MoFi decks are being built by the same dudes pressing records working on the weekends or something?

HiFi Guy and Big Blue like this.
  12. displayname

They are not. They've been pretty clear about that.

13. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Exactly. Not sure where @DaleClark got this “part time” idea. Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs and MoFi Electronics are actually separate companies under the same corporate umbrella.

The records are pressed at RTI in CA. The electronics are assembled in Ann Arbor MI.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    displayname likes this.
  14. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Sorry to ruffle everyone's bloomers. I was giving my opinion. I never made a blanket statement about MoFi's quality. I returned a MoFi preamp because it was cheaply built and had fit and finish defects. I decided not to exchange but go with a different unit. I have used under $300 preamps where the fit and finish was fantastic. Maybe if I exchanged, I would have received one built like a tank. The pre amp DID sound really good.

- Right now, to me, MoFi Electronics feels like a second fiddle product line. Time will tell. If Music Matters, Analogue productions started an electronics company, I would feel the same. Same thing with seeing Pro-Ject as a record label (Pro-Ject Record Label Announces 180-gram Double LP - CEPRO )Maybe MoFi will be the next McIntosh. Or, I am just full of S%$T. Whichever, I saw the MoFi Decks in person and they looked and sounded nice. However, I would choose a REGA in same price ranges over the MoFi, based on their reputation, build quality, sound and resale value. Could I tell you if one sounded better over another....no...I did not listen side by side and I doubt my findings would make sense unless matching cartridges, phono, etc were used.

I went with Technics due to wanting 78 RPM capability and I much prefer DD and pitch control for 78's. I considered the MoFi along with others in the price ranges (REGA, Pro-Ject, and Technics 1500c). I think its great MoFi's are made in the US.

I just gave my opinion....take it into consideration or just move on. There are so many great products out there, I'm sure you'll find tons of opinions. My opinion is just one.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Erocka2000, HiFi Guy and displayname like this.
  15. displayname

I appreciate your additional comments, and the fact that you did take the time to see the tables in person. So many people make assumptions and sweeping statements based only on their gut feelings or a lower price point product.

The biggest thing that sold me after MoFi's announcement of the tables was the fact that they hired a well established designer (from Spiral Groove) to design the tables AND they opened factories to build them vs having them built by a 3rd party. Obviously some parts are built elsewhere, but overall those were big things for me.

16. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

that is also what attracted me to consider As well. MoFi could have easily outsourced their tables to be made next to AT, Stanton, etc.

They are fine turntables with great reviews.

Heckto35 and displayname like this.
  17. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

hmmmmmm.

18. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

HMMMM

I still stand by what I said. My quality comment was pertaining to the defective Phono Pre I purchased and returned. The electronics , TO ME, feel like second fiddle. The TT's look well built by the units I've seen in person.I'd still choose a REGA if I had to decide between the two.

19. Hydrology

Hydrology Forum Resident

As someone who sells both MoFi and Rega turntables, I can say with absolute confidence that Ive seen enough Rega manufacturing and QC issues to last a lifetime. MoFi everytime.

Zafu, HiFi Guy, Heckto35 and 2 others like this.
  20. F1fletch

F1fletch Forum Resident

I wanted to chime in here as I am the new owner of a studio deck +. In the beginning, I was getting a great deal of “hum” and I was convinced it was the table. As I have a background of electronics and closet engineering (having worked closely with electronic and mechanical engineers for probably 20+ years, no expertise implied just gives context). I have also been customizing cars and stereos since I was 16. Total, nerd, geek, tweeker etc…

Since I could not sleep and this was bugging me so bad, I disassembled practically the entire turntable save the wiring and small pcb. Actually the tonearm wiring which I just was convinced “had” to be bad was fine. The build was very solid, with practical
    Engineering and I left the experience Very Impressed. The motor is silent, and nicely isolated. The tonearm at 10” is beautiful and I was told by a very trusted source who sells these as well as just about every brand you can imagine. This tonearm will likely pair with more cartridges and work well than pretty much anything at this price. The feet are very impressive and work like legitimate shock absorbers, I can tap on the plinth and it’s silent through the speakers.

Speed and pitch sounds spot on to me (it was off on my P8 and needed to be adjusted). I would have no problem putting a $1500-$2000 cart on this, however I really like the design of the AT Built “tracker series” and would like to upgrade to the master tracker from the ultra. I recently purchased an Ifi zen phono to match with this so I am very curious to see how it sounds compared to my three times as expensive P8 cart/phono stage/linear power supply combo. About $6k all in for that setup . About $1800 all in for this. Reviews coming soon but I wanted to say a few words. I was ready to hate on it and send it back, but after tear down I was proven wrong and am now endeared to this product. I discovered the interconnects were the culprit (yes that’s the first thing I tried, longer story) lol

have a great one guys and gals

HiFi Guy and exoendria like this.
  21. Atomicdog

Atomicdog Well-Known Member

So, what was the source of the hum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.