Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

speaking of the COBRA ... launches Feb 11 in Oslo.

got my order in before the launch thank goodness .. :).

Andy Saunders likes this.
  2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I need to update my post. I happened to come across the description of this DAC I bought because I just ran across the description of it from the original Ad:

Service History: This DAC has been recently upgraded by the authorized Audio Note service tech I bought it from with a 1x board (filterless I/V transformers used in current AN DAC models). Also upgraded with Blackgate electrolytic caps, Audio Note copper foil output caps, Audio Note silver RCA jacks, and NOS Telefunken tubes.

Other Notes: Less than 10 hours on the tubes.

I forgot all about that!

3. slcaudiophile

John Landreth likes this.
  4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Nope he says he will be back to talk about the Oto phono stage. The problem with Jeff, and the reason his reviews take so many installments is for every 1000 words 6-700 of those words need to describe his system. Or speaker mods, or whatever. Jeff is an engaging writer but I feel like he's actually said very little about the Oto.

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

He's one of my favorite reviewers in the long run but I feel like over the years he's fallen down too many rabbit holes. As you say he now spends most of his time talking about some esoteric mod he made with vintage wire and solid gear reviews are almost an afterthough.

jonwoody and John Landreth like this.
  6. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

I would divide Jeff’s word count a little differently. For every 1000 words, there are 600 words repeating what he said in an earlier installment, 300 words describing his system, and 100 words of new content. Very frustrating, but he is as you said an engaging writer and I do like his taste in music.

The other thing about Jeff that drives me bonkers is the boosterism for all things Duelund. Early on I thought he must really be on to something and I spent lots of money on Duelund parts—-CAST capacitors and resistors for my crossovers, CAST capacitors for my electronics, and lots of wire. One by one the parts went in, and one by one they all came out. In my opinion none of them sounds as good as other alternatives. Jeff needs to try some Audio Note components and wire. That would get him off the Duelund train.

7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I think the Oto is one of the best bargains in audio. Not that it is cheap, but it has a great sound quality to price ratio. If I were looking for an amp it would definitely be on my short list.

Torris, Kimiimacman and jonwoody like this.
  8. John Landreth

John Landreth Well-Known Member

I agree on the Duelund wire. I’ve tried both the speaker wire and the interconnects and in my current modest system I was not particularly impressed

9. BettisDad

BettisDad Forum Resident

Those crossovers do look good though. I was getting interested until the comments above.

10. Daniel from Rueil

Daniel from Rueil Well-Known Member

Hello to Audio Note UK fans,

I have a question about the link between a MacBook Pro 2017 and an AN DAC 2.1x signature.

The other parts of my system are an Oto Phono SE Sig, an old version of the CDT-Two, (yes but I still want to be able to use my MacBook Pro with Audirvana on it!).

Recently I moved from AN K LX to AN J LX.

Just to prove that I am not too modern, on the vinyl side I have a nice old Voyd Valdi (2 motors, one of the ancestors of the AN TT2), with a AN-S2 step up with an AN Arm I-2 and a Goldring Elite (very good and overlooked MC with a good P/quality ratio).

My CDT-Two is linked to the DAC 2.1x with a AES Mogami cable.

To link the Mac to the DAC, since there are only AES and Coax inputs (I can toggle between the 2 on the rear side), I have been using for maybe a year a small M2Tech Hiface that converts the signal from the USB output to coaxial (Audioquest Cinnamon).

I have been happy with the solution so far, but I have the audiophile illness so common among us: “Can it be improved?” (Without the “should it be” coming quickly enough).

This time it all started with a sale proposition in my usual LS 3/5 French forum of a Weiss INT 202. This old product can link through a firewire link a Mac (or another computer) to a non-USB DAC. There was a very nice review of the product on 6moons (in 2012 I believe).

It was lent to me, but the 2 adapters (thunderbolt 3 to 2, then to firewire) were not able to make it work.

That started to initiate a kind of “plan B”, that meant looking for a M2tech Hiface EVO that is supposed to improve the present simple Hiface solution.

But before going any further, one question started at last to appear on the wall: is it worthwhile?

Given Audio Note DACs do not oversample, and avoid any correction measures others do, is it appropriate to spend too much effort to “clean” the incoming signal?

What do you think? What have you done, those of you who still want to use a computer with an Audio Note DAC?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

11. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

I think you might want to contact this group in San Francisco : https://sanfranciscoaudiophilesociety.com/events
    I'd like to eventually look into streaming as well. There's a lot of music out there (not necessarily good or of good quality but it's a library of music worth considering.

Considering that Audio Note collaborated with EVGA to develop the EVGA Nu Audio sound card, methinks that perhaps in the not so distant future, there may be more offerings for the computer /Audio Note interface.

12. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

13. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

You should use a device that will reduce jitter on the incoming signal, such as a clock on your source or a reclocker.

14. dogilv

dogilv Forum Resident

Deuland is the most obvious pandering...a healthy dose of skepticism is advised behind everything he purports.

15. gov

gov Forum Resident

The esoteric stuff is a bit of a chore to get through but he goes deep on some things that are of substantial benefit--like his Leben Tube rolling escapades. Super useful information that helped tremendously.

Will be interesting to see how deep he goes with the AN piece.

16. JanJ

JanJ Forum Resident

[QUOTE="I have a question about the link between a MacBook Pro 2017 and an AN DAC 2.1x signature.
    Given Audio Note DACs do not oversample, and avoid any correction measures others do, is it appropriate to spend too much effort to “clean” the incoming signal?
    [/QUOTE]

I've had Dac 2.1x/II Signature and Dac 3.1x/II Balanced. I ran them from Mac Mini (Tidal+Roon) using first Audiophilleo USB-SPDIF bridge and then later with Singxer F-1 USB-SPDIF bridge accompanied with Uptone Audio ISO REGEN.
    Singxer F-1 + ISO REGEN was lots better than Audiophilleo (newer tech as well). Audio Note dacs did respond to jitter reduction before them. Not major difference, but smoother sound, bigger and better drawn soundstage etc. So worthwhile upgrade for sure.

Aforementioned Mutec is well spoken for as is few other USB-SPDIF converters in it's price range.

Singxer F-1 and SU-1 are quite cheap but good USB bridges. The tech seems to improve rapidly and I haven't followed the scene for a few years. For latest on the topic Head to Computer Audiophile forums, now named 'Audiophile Style'? The latest tech and best bang for bucks USB to SPDIF solutions are discussed there a plenty.

Daniel from Rueil, kessi and gov like this.
  17. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

On top of all that, what always drives me nuts is his insistence of using the 'full name' of the product in question EVERY time; could he not just vary it a bit with 'the amp'? Back in 2003 he wrote great articles for 6Moons with none of this padding but TBH I really struggle with his scribing these days.

18. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I have owned the M2Tech Hiface, and I can tell you that it isn't nearly good enough for your DAC. I have also owned the EVO, and it is definitely better, but still not good enough. I have an acquaintance with a AN DAC 2 and a CDT Two transport, and ended up with a system considering of a dedicated Macbook Pro with an Audiophilleo USB/SPDIF converter powered by an Aqvox linear power supply and felt that it sounded better than his CDT Two. As I recalled, he used Audirvana as his playback software, and of course with all system optimization options checked.

You will hear a big difference, I promise. Some forum members, including some who are also active in this thread, will disagree, but if you believe that the various transports that AN manufactures make a difference, then it should come as no surprise that it also takes work to make the bit stream from a computer sound good. People often mistake this bit stream for data like data from a computer to a printer or to the International Space Station but they are really two different things. With a bit stream, there is no resending of lost data, and signal integrity becomes even more important with an R2R DAC chip like the AD1865. What happens is than an analog squarewave signal is converted into an analog sinusoid signal, and any imperfections in the squarewave signal going in to the DAC chip will have consequences for the signal coming out.

19. Daniel from Rueil

Daniel from Rueil Well-Known Member

USB/SPDIF converter(s)

Thank you all for your answers,
    - Encore for explaining why it was worthwhile and suggesting the Audiophilleo (+Aqvox),
    - JanJ for the Singxer (Singxer F-1 + ISO REGEN was lots better than Audiophilleo (newer tech as well)) and suggesting the other forum where I was amazed by the number of different products all competing in the same category! Singxer seems to be less expensive, which I find attractive
    - Enginedr for the Mutec (bigger price)

From all this, it seems I still need to spend time to find the best price/quality ratio among those products. If anyone here has done such a research, I am interested...
    The aforementioned forum seems to be buzzing with information (maybe too much) about that kind of solution. I don't want to spend too much, the Audiophilleo seems to be the top of what I am ready to incur. Therefore the Singxer could be a better choice, especially if I want to get a dedicated power supply on top.
    Mmmm, we will see..

20. slcaudiophile

great photo ... thing of beauty!

[​IMG]

21. slcaudiophile

you guys should try the NU Audio card. it sounds quite good. is it as good as the Audio Note DACs? no, of course not but for streaming and the like (plus headphone) it does an amazing job. it will surprise you it’s that good.

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

HiFi Centre in Vancouver is now carrying Audio Note.
    First local dealer in quite a few years to carry the line

23. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Yes, the Audiophilleo is getting quite old, so it seems very plausible that newer tech will best it for a lower price. Especially if that lower price allows you to get a dedicated PSU for it. And yes, I've found the Regen to improve the sound some. Again with a dedicated power supply for that also.

24. JanJ

JanJ Forum Resident

Yep. The difference between Audiophilleo (mk1) and Singxer F-1 was not subtle. Everything just got clearer, more layered and soundstage depth increased. If something negative; Singxer maybe sounded tiny bit brighter, but that's likely just the result of increased resolution and mush being removed from the signal.

When Singxer F1 came out it had the latest gen XMOS-chip, while all the competition used previous gen chip. And that gave Singxer a huge edge. It also has galvanic isolation within, very good internal clocking crystal etc. Features usually only way more expensive USB bridges have.

Not sure how revised Audiophilleo Mk2 stacks up. Quick look at their website doesn't tell much of the parts used.

I also run the Iso Regen with linear power supply and Curious Cable USB between Iso Regen and Singxer. Uptone Audio's Ultracap LPS power supply with ultracapacitor array should take the performance up a notch or two.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Daniel from Rueil and Encore like this.
  25. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Matrix X-SPDIF 2 is also worth looking at. I use one with my DAC 3.1x/ii balanced.

Daniel from Rueil and Encore like this.