Rolling Stones 2020 North America Tour postponed..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

No argument there. The uptick in demand in the US (and, as you point out, the rest of the world) in 2014 and on was kind of surprising to me. But then, they DID take 5 years off until 2012. More power to them, but it's impossible to say it was NOT a case of "How you gonna miss us if we don't ever go away?"

It will be interesting to see what happens on the upcoming stadium tour in markets they played in 2015.

2. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i am 64 years of age. i was not trying to be rude. in re reading my post i see that it was a bit rude. i meant it to be glib. sorry.

TonyCzar likes this.
  3. Paul R

Paul R Forum Resident

Just registered for the pre-sale, it will be my second Stones show ever (first was Voodoo Lounge) in San Diego at the same stadium (was Jack Murphy Stadium, then Qualcomm, now SDCCU). Gotta see 'em just one more time!

Sean, MrGrumpy and ssmith3046 like this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

When there is 15 shows in a year instead of 100 then fans travel more.

With so many peers of the Stones deceased or retired then fans won't take them for granted.

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

They shouldn't!

Carl80 likes this.
  6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I have never been at a Stones show where people are sitting or complain about people standing/dancing, my experience has been quite the opposite.

Sean, Coltrane811 and ssmith3046 like this.
  7. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I know of four. Chicago #1, Chicago #2, Pasadena, and Glendale. They're actually not soundboards but IEM recordings (recordings of the band's inner ear monitors, that they wear in their ears onstage) mixed with audience sources (but that whole IEM thing was a little complicated, so I left it out).

There's also a clip of at least one song, from a local TV station in one of the cities, it's a great clip of "It's Only Rock 'N Roll" in soundboard quality, filmed from the stage, but I totally forget which city that was from. One of the early ones.

All Down The Line likes this.
  8. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

It's interesting how a LOT of people talk about this, how Keith always says the same shtick, at every show, and it's the same jokes everywhere he goes. I think -- and this is just my opinion, mind you-- but I sincerely and seriously believe, that Keith Richards is actually playing a very long game, and a very smart one, with this stuff.

"Good to be here, good to be anywhere,"
    "Gold Rings on You"
    "I've got a show to do."

The thing is, these three catch phrases of Keith's, are classic bon mots, like Oscar Wilde (English icon), Will Rogers (American icon), heck, even Mark Twain. The funny one liner that is forever associated with a particular person.

Keith repeats them so much that they become like a calling card, it becomes an integral part of witnessing Keith Richards' set in a Stones show -- you get to see him deliver those lines, as corny as they may be. In other words, he's building a legacy with them, and when the day eventually comes when Keith is no longer saying these things from the stage, people will still remember those catch phrases of his, and associate them with Keith Richards, for a long, long, long, long time afterward. And I mean like, those three quotes could possibly even last hundreds of years of time, from now, like the most famous and quippy Oscar Wilde and Mark Twain quotes. I think Keith's idea was to come up with three or four really great quips, and use them as part of the shtick.

"I've got a show to do" is my current favorite Keith bit, because there's always this awkward moment where he's standing there during the introductions and people in the crowd are cheering for him, and they sorta don't stop, it just keeps on going. Like, Keith could easily stand there for another ten minutes, and the roar would probably not subside too much. But, on with the show, we can't stand here all night. Maybe I'm just a sentimental old coot, but I think "I've got a show to do," also sort of touches poignantly on the fact that Keith can't possibly communicate with everyone, in his audience, the way he would like to. It's just impossible.

And also at every show, listen whenever Mick introduces Keith -- nowadays, Charlie always does the little shambolic shuffling jazz drum solo, while Keith comes forward and takes his bow and puts on the next guitar. It's a regular bit, and part of the show. Charlie's little drum bit mimics Keith's shambolic walk, it mimics Keith's "head, heart and balls" gesture, and it mimics his sort of chaotic,rebellious presence. People shouldn't worry so much if it is fossilized or set in concrete. It's all part of the delightful character he created. But I can guarantee you, that if they aren't there already, those three quotes from Keith Richards above, will someday be mentioned in all the "Famous Quotations" type websites, and remain there into the far future.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  9. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Oscar was Irish.

Sean and All Down The Line like this.
  10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Kinda worried that Keith stopped smoking. I have bad experiences of old geezers who stopped smoking at that age.

twicks and melstapler like this.
  11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Me too. The damage is done. He's survived withdrawal before, but nicotine is like nothing else.

Sean, twicks and DTK like this.
  12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

This is interesting. You think Keith's doctor is behind this, or family? Would a doctor ever tell someone that it might actually be harmful to stop smoking?

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Keith Wilde!

14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Got a "presale code" email x2 today. Didn't even sign up for any.

Presale is the new onsale.

Curveboy likes this.
  15. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

If you ever signed up for their email list, you got it.

16. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Ug not me, just checked spam too.

17. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I doubled checked this morning to make sure and that's what it says on the Stones site. I didn't register this time, but was on the list previously and got the email 3x. :doh:

18. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

OK thats it, I registered on the venue site for presale, not the Stones site. Probably different mailing list.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Just today I read someone saying the presale seats are consistently worse than the regular onsale seats. Anybody find this to be true/false?

20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The best seats will all be VIP package or Platinum to begin with. There will be a handful of front Pit tickets at regular price, and the majority will also be VIP or Platinum. After that, it can depend on who is supporting the pre-sale. Some higher level credit-cards sometimes have access to better seats than the regular credit-card from the same company (think AmEx/AmEx Gold or Chase/Chase Sapphire, etc.). Early, pre-sale access may also give you a better chance at the cheapest tickets, since there are usually few of them, and they also tend to get snapped up in a hurry.

With the move to buy-on-map, you will be able to see where the blocks of tickets are located, and decide whether it is worth buying in the pre-sale, in the main sale, or holding off until closer to show date when unsold VIPs/Platinums get released at regular price. Flex pricing also kicks in after the sales have started, and depends on demand.

WARNINGS

1. Pay attention to the price quoted BEFORE rushing to click through to buy. If necessary, click on the Details link to see the prices and fees. Last year TM was stealthily changing the prices, and if you did not pay attention you could over pay!

2. For those looking for tickets, go and check the seating charts of your venue(s) and some of the other venues to get an idea of the layout/number of sections/order of sections/locations of Seat 1/etc. I say this because Vancouver, for one, looks to have a different field set up with no GA Pit in front of the stage -- this has to be wrong! Also the rear field GA sections seem to differ from venue to venue.

21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Keep in mind that it's largely the job of the promoter to foist off less desirable inventory onto the most eager buyers. "Presales" have traditionally been one way that is done. Historically, some artists/tours have made some desirable inventory a part of fan-based presales. That particular approach, popular for a long time, is sunsetting for a number of reasons, not the least of which is Ticketmaster calling the shots on how much inventory fanclubs get.

Forgetting about the past, because we must, we're left with a bewildering array of sales:

"presales":

presales
    credit card-exclusive presales
    Venue presales
    Sportsball team presales
    radio station presales (market dependent)

Public onsales:

onsales
    Official Platinum seating
    VIP packages
    Lucky Dip window (Stones only)

Note that with the new pricing paradigm, it's easier to mark up a $64 ticket and make good money than it is to risk investing in a pair of even "good" $500 tickets. So you have the reality that

1) cheap seats go fast because of speculators, and
    2) cheap seats also "go" fast because selling $500 tickets is a big part of what the house/promoters/act want to accomplish.
    3) $500 tickets at $500 can be hard to come by outside of VIP packages, Official Platinum pricing, and mediocrity.

To get back to your question, I think the best thing to be said about most presales today applies to the ones that carry some exclusivity barrier: credit card exclusive, Team VIP exclusive, etc. Their inventory moves slower because the sales don't take all comers, and usually offers more chances at a reasonable number of seats (4 or more) together. In the public sales, inventory stays rather fragmented until you get closer to the show.

Are you gonna get the "best seats in the house"? Maybe, maybe not. Probably not. I'd call it "tourist seating" for the most part.

But the public presale will probably offer plenty of rear-of-field GA tix (about $140). You'll have to know how to search for them and what they are called.

If your #1 concern is price, I'd make sure my Amex card is paid off. My experience in 2018 was that the Amex presale offered plenty of $40something and $60something tickets, many in big groups. Amex Gold and better presales offered different and better (and pricier) inventory.

If you want to be Big Man on Campus and play high-wheeler and take a group of your best buds, maybe even get into a suite, be a Sportsball VIP, or a Sportsball VIP's best friend.

If I were just trying for a pair for myself this week, I'd go for a couple cheap Amex tickets in the presale, and light candles to the Madonna as I try for a pair of Lucky Dips.

If you must be in the pit, and you don't score LDs, or $500s in any public sale, wait for the Platinum pricing to flex on pits as time goes on. Yes, they might be $700 or more. Think hard on what you're willing to do.

22. TheSixthBeatle

TheSixthBeatle Quae nocent, saepe docent

These scrums are a nightmare. Last year for Pasadena, I was there the first second of the presale, hand on mouse. As fast as I could click two seats and "checkout", it came back "those tickets are sold. Want to get back in line?" After 3 or 4 iterations I gave up. Several weeks later I had myself scalped. Thus ended my bathroom remodel.

Nothing in This Modern World is more expensive than entertainment and vacationing. Good booze is a close second.

23. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Meh. You can always pee in a coffee cup, and showers are over-rated. The Stones are finite.

24. TheSixthBeatle

TheSixthBeatle Quae nocent, saepe docent

Who told you about my coffee cup?

footlooseman, Curveboy and MrGrumpy like this.
  25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Last year, within an hour or so on on-sale day Platinum Pits for Santa Clara had flexed down from $1,000 (or so) to just over $600 (face was $500 or so) which wasn't too bad of a premium (at that time) for guaranteeing a place in the pit. However, as I wrote above, one had to pay attention to what TM was doing with the ticket prices because there was a range of Platinum Pit prices, and while you may have clicked to buy two $620 tickets (say), when you checked the details before buying these could be changed to one at $750 and another at $850! I kid you not.

I believe you saw the same thing for other shows, TonyCzar?

TonyCzar and All Down The Line like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.