Van Morrison - Best 60s/70s Album Poll!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I would have chosen MOONDANCE if I were asked 20 years ago, and VEEDON FLEECE if you asked me 10 years ago. Right now the insinuating charms of ST. DOMINIC’S PREVIEW get my vote. “Redwood Tree” is indeed a real choker. DOMINIC’S has some of the mysticism of ASTRAL WEEKS and the soul of MOONDANCE and an atmosphere that’s fairly seductive and pulls you in.

Props too for A PERIOD OF TRANSITION. “Heavy Connection” is a brilliant song.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I burned out on ASTRAL WEEKS and MOONDANCE even though their greatness is undeniable. They’re really the two sides of Van: the spiritual/mystical and Caledonia soul.

Zeki and MetalGuruMessiah like this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Moondance, with Into the Music second.

4. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Astral weeks
    Moondance
    Too late to stop now
    Into the music

Close misses
    Tupelo honey
    Band and street choir

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I voted for Blowin' Your Mind just to promote it - besides Brown Eyed Girl and beneath the silly title, half of it is a precursor to Astral Weeks. TB Sheets, He Ain't Give You None and Who Drove The Red Sports Car are some of my favorite Morrison tunes. Along with Joe Harper Saturday Morning and Beside You which appeared on later Bang releases.

dee likes this.
  7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Hard Nose The Highway....followed by A Period of Transition

I know I t doesn't comply but the material from this period on The Philosophers Stone is a highlight also for me.

8. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Well it's predictable because it's one of the most amazing albums of all time, no? Lots of members of this forum won't pick the obvious choice in polls like this because they don't want to pick the same as everybody else and pick the likes of A Period of Transition (alright, who was it?) just to be contrary. :)

As for the track Moondance, yeah it probably doesn't deserve to be overplayed as much as it is, but it crosses over very well to TV, jazz clubs, weddings, muzak, etc. It's like do I never want to hear Won't Get Fooled Again, er, again, because it's a TV theme song and and car commercial and who knows what else?

9. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

1-Moondance
    2-Astral Weeks
    3=Tupelo Honey
    3= His Band & The Street Choir
    5-Veedon Fleece
    6-Saint Dominic's Preview
    7-It's Too Late to Stop Now
    8-Hard Nose the Highway

MetalGuruMessiah likes this.
  10. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I had Astral Weeks and Moondance as the only Van albums in my collection for decades (because fellow record collectors said I should) and thought they were "fine but they did not make me want to delve beyond them. As these were the pinnacles, what was the point?

For some reason I picked up Hard Nose The Highway, Veedon Fleece and Period Of Transition one day, and from these 3 albums I finally got what all the fuss was about. Love the mix of Van & Dr John on P.O.T.

11. Great show last night at Yoshis in Oakland. He sounded great and played lots of sax

[​IMG]

12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Astral Weeks but the 70’s was a run of classic albums that is almost unmatched.

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I’d stick my neck out and choose "A Period of Transition". A record, so disappointing at the time that continues to improve with age. Terrific racket and a great-sounding LP.

14. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Oh, FFS! Just one?

In which case it has to be Astral Weeks, although if it didn't exist then Moondance or ITLTSN or St Dominic's Preview or...

15. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I though i was the only one....

astro70 likes this.
  16. Ivan Aaron

Ivan Aaron What Sells ≠ What Streams

Tupelo Honey.

17. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

Veedon Fleece from Into The Music. Both mighty classics and Top 5 Van albums. Always think the 70s are a greatly over appreciated decade compared to what came after.

18. friend74

friend74 Forum Resident

For me it's Veedon Fleece by far. Although i have most of his Albums i wouldnt consider me as a huge fan.

Jem likes this.
  19. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The Angry Young Them.

After the 2 Them albums,
    it would be Astral Weeks for me.

hallucalation and Crimson Witch like this.
  20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

side one of 'moondance' is just perfect. had to vote for it based strictly on the brilliance of side one.

21. Marshall66hendrix

Marshall66hendrix Senior Member.

Gone for "into the music" too, just so heavenly! :)

Jem likes this.
  22. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

~"Moondance"

Most Honorable Mention:
    "Astral Weeks"
    "St. Dominic's Preview

Honorable Mention:
    "Veedon Fleece"
    "Into The Music"
    "It's Too Late To Stop Now"

23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Astral Weeks is the acknowledged classic and it's a little surprising that Moondance is leading over it, but Veedon Fleece is my favorite by far on the list.

24. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

It's hard - no, it's impossible - to pick just one. Into the Music is probably my favourite (and most played) studio album on the list. Astral Weeks isn't in my top 10 Van albums (I much prefer Moondance of the two). In the end I voted for ITLTSN to represent the first half of the 70s. It's cheating a bit as it includes some of the best tracks from the studio albums (by no means all, of course) and it is one of the best live albums of all time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.