Vinyl records now in crisis: Apollo Transco Mastering lacquer plant is a total loss*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoCalWJS, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

There probably were sprinklers. But if this was a nitrocellulose fire then water doesn't help. Nitrocellulose will continue to burn under water. The chemical structure of nitrocellulose is such that it will continue to burn without the need for oxygen, since it's decomposition generates all the additional oxygen necessary. This is why raw nitrocellulose was/is such a good explosive.

dee, thrivingonariff and MrRom92 like this.
  2. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It seems almost unimaginable. Perhaps he gets the aluminum discs from a sub supplier.

3. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

With this much nitrocellulose on the premises, not to mention all the solvents and vapors in the air, something as little as a static shock off of someone’s fingertip could have ignited the place. Nitrocellulose will burn furiously without much provocation.

Everyone here has seen the end of Inglourious Basterds, right?

mando_dan likes this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

13 years? Seinfeld did a joke about the vinyl revival in 1993.

5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Maybe we can open up a new place with gambling included. Lacquer in the front, poker in the rear.

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I suspect it's completely inaccurate.

7. dkmonroe

It'll never happen. It'll always be called a fad and it'll always be said to be two years away from total extinction. And the next event after that will always be said to be a "CD revival."

8. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Dad joke.

Mumdad, wgb113 and Kevin j like this.
  9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I missed my calling (childless).

GerryO and rischa like this.
  10. dkmonroe

Dad joke from later in the evening, when Dad's a little sauced and starts to say inappropriate things. :laugh:

11. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I'd be willing to temporarily sacrifice in order to conserve lacquers until the situation is rectified:

• 7" singles
    • 12" singles
    • 45rpm audiophile cuts

dee and Jrr like this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Billboard recently released their annual survey of sales, and were predicting vinyl was going to overtake CD’s this year and cross 1 billion $$ in revenue. It has increased significantly every year for the past few years. Based on those numbers, it hasn’t come close to peaking. But it has now!

Nielsoe likes this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

And to expand your point, haven’t some people always listened to vinyl on crap equipment? I did as a kid! I don’t think that’s any indication of anything having to do with the topic at hand. Except those people could care less how their records are pressed.

Kardiaclp likes this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That 45rpm thing is really wasteful. I can’t tell any difference between the same mastered/plated vinyl album on 45 or 33, and our host is on record as saying there is no technical reason why I should. Let’s use those lacquers for a different title and stick to 33rpm, imo.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Is he? Link?

Steely Don likes this.
  16. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

I too have been harbouring many thoughts about the little Japanese fella in the garage. How is he?
    How has he responded to this news? Is his workload like mine (a teacher) inappropriate?
    Does he fear for how he will manage his workload? Does have any assistants?
    I have so many other questions...please someone post a name and a picture, for vinyls's sake! ;)

Pinknik, faceinthecrowd and Nielsoe like this.
  17. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Im 41 with a decent system and although i appreciate AAA, Im not obsessed with it. As long as it sounds good Im happy.

MLutthans, Dan C, Gaslight and 3 others like this.
  18. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

In a few months I suspect we’ll be looking back at $25 lps as a bargain..

19. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I think you speak for many.

Kardiaclp and weavzy like this.
  20. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

In related news, via Amazon, I’ve bought dozens of new Maxell cassettes in the last 5 years, the last time being a 7 pack in 2017 for 8.58. The price now for the same 7 pack of Type I cassettes is 28.15.

22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I just want it to sound good.

nosliw, weavzy and DRM like this.
  23. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Big takeaway from that article: "most major players seem to rely on MDC." If that's true, then it's not the end of the world. This is also a huge business opportunity for someone with deep pockets (Jack White).

funknik, polchik and VictoryHighway like this.
  24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The Secret Society of Lathe Trolls

whatprogress likes this.
  25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This 60 year old cares less and less as time goes on. Too many excellent sounding titles cut from PCM to DMM under the bridge for me to cling to old myths.

Ninjur, mando_dan, DRM and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.