Receiver Recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by danielkov86, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986 Thread Starter

I know these threads are made semi-frequently, but my needs are simple. I'm looking for a new receiver to replace my trusty but aging Sony STRDE185.

If anyone can help, here are my needs:
    • Must have discrete transformer output amps, no integrated circuits
    • Two channels
    • No phono preamp (I have a Bellari tube pre that I quite love)
    • At least 100 watts per channel
    • Would prefer it to power four speakers
    My budget is under $600. New would be nice, but if there's a great vintage unit that can be had in this budget range I might look into it.

Honestly, I really like my Sony and may just consider directly replacing it since it meets all my needs to a T. But I'd like to see what commendations I can get from you guys first. Searching Best Buy and Amazon is giving me anxiety. :help:

2. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Do you use the tuner? Probably more options and bang for buck in the integrated amp category.

hifisoup likes this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

do you mean TRANSISTOR?
    What do you mean by that? You're running pairs in different rooms? Or you want to control multi-zones independently? Are you doing this at maximum volume for both at once? (In which case are they both 8 ohms? If 4 then you need a 2 ohm amp).

4. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

5. danielkov86

Yeah transistor, I couldn't edit it later when I re-read my post.

Two sets of speakers run in same room.

Thanks.

6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I would take the 80WPC Yamaha R-N602 over the Sony all Day, though I have to admit that I have heard neither of them. Just based on my experience with Sony and Yamaha. I don't consider 80 vs 100W to have any real world difference at all and I actually trust Yamaha's numbers more than Sony's.

Yamaha R-N602 Network stereo receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and MusicCast at Crutchfield

Either way, I would never prefer a receiver over an integrated, but I don't listen to radio at home, and I have just always been an integrated guy. Hell, I am even getting rid of all my separates and going back to all integrateds. (Big sale coming soon to the classifieds! :))

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  7. danielkov86

I do not use the Tuner at all. Does that mean an Integrated or Receiver is better for me? Sorry, I don't understand the difference.

8. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

You are going to have way (way, way, way) more options if you look at integrated amplifiers. Visit Music Direct, Audio Advisor, Crutchfield, etc. and drill down to integrated amplifiers. You'll find they greatly outnumber the receivers, and that it is easier to find reviews as well as other owners on the forums.

A receiver is just an integrated with a built-in radio, pretty much.

9. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I would look at integrated amps in your situation.

Big Blue likes this.
  10. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Good receiver is hard to come by these days. I also recommend that you find an integrated. You can always add a tuner. Many more good options for you in the integrated world.

11. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

And if you can go used you can get a much better unit likely with your budget that way

rodentdog likes this.
  12. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

What are your speakers?

13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

so...what is wrong with it?

14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

New is over budget, but used is not. Outlaw RP-2160. It will outperform about any receiver available. Even the phono section is good.

15. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

As much as I like my Cambridge Audio receiver, if/when I replace it, would lean towards an integrated (I had a NAD C372 for quite a while), as I don't use the tuner at all. Integrateds by design do not have tuner sections. I get it about the phono pre-amp—I don't like paying for features I don't need, either. However, phono inputs are ubiquitous now.

16. danielkov86

Yeah, I didn't even know there was a difference between receiver and integrated amp. Now that I know, looks like IA is the way to go. Thanks for any and all recommendations.

It's dying. I've had it repaired a couple times, the remote works intermittently, etc.

17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

It doesn't work like that. If by putting in say a phono preamp, the manufacturer can sell many more, the price can end up CHEAPER. Sales volume is generally a much bigger determinant of price than parts. That's why AVRs are cheaper than integrateds.

R&D and testing can also cost as much or more as the parts, and ofttimes features can be included into custom chips for basically zero additional parts cost (these latter two points are certainly true for car infotainment systems, less so for analog hi-fi). A poor understanding of these principals, and hanging on to costing ideas from the parts-cost-driven 80s, led to the dwindling of a large behemoth I worked for...

18. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Nevertheless, my NAD C372's (integrated) lack of a phono input made space for an additional input that I did use and was happy to pay for. Too bad it didn't have opt/coax in and its own DAC—in which case it would have bopped til it dropped here.

head_unit likes this.
  19. danielkov86

Today I bought the Marantz PM6006. It goes for $700 new I believe, but I found it on Amazon Warehouse for $400 in like new condition! Feel like I got a really good deal and am stoked to get it. If it gets delivered before my birthday next weekend I'll be in heaven.

Bingo Bongo and rodentdog like this.
  20. danielkov86

So I really think I'm losing my mind trying to find a replacement amp. I bought the Marantz PM6006 and didn't like it. Too much mid focus - it sounded like everything had 500hz boosted 3db, really annoying. I sent it back to Amazon and bought the Yamaha A-S501 instead. Just got done playing a couple albums through it and... I want to send this one back, too. Nice sound but not enough bass, and I really don't want to buy a sub speaker.

I don't get how none of these new great amps don't stand up to my Sony STRDE185. The Sony is supposed to be crap (at least that's what I read online.) One thing I love about it is that there is gobs of bass. Maybe because it has a bass boost function while all these new amps today have "loudness" features, something I'm not into. Think I'm just gonna buy another STRDE185 and call it a day. At least I'll save a couple hundred bucks.

21. danielkov86

Ok I think I judged my Yamaha too harshly. Been playing it a lot since I got it yesterday and I like it. Bass is just fine in headphones; I realized the lack of bass I was hearing in my room was due to my new speakers. Wifey bought be floorstanding Pioneers for my birthday last Sunday and they lack a little bit of low-end. Gonna have to get a sub I guess.

ANYWAY, got question if anyone can help. My Yammie has a coaxial and optical digital connection. Can I use both connections for two different devices?

22. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Again get the Outlaw I recommended and never look back.

23. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

You can use the two connections, coax and optical for different devices. Enjoy the music. Play around with speaker placement before you buy a sub.

24. Fish17

Fish17 Forum Resident

I was looking into the Outlaw but there seems to be some issues with random shutdowns and poor customer service.

25. danielkov86

Excellent, thanks.

Yeah so I don't need a sub at all. I turned the Loudness button all the way up and the floors shook. :D I'm definitely keeping this amp. I like the overall sound: very balanced.

I always thought Loudness compressed the sound. But it sounds to me like a bass boost. Is that the case?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.