Musicians Who Admit Some Sort Of Plagiarism/Borrowing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you check out "Behind the Scenes: LA Woman", Ray says he took the bass line from Ray Charles' "What I Say", and then blurted, "We stole from everybody"

2. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

“Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poetsmake it into something better, or at least something different.” - T.S. Elliott

Fullbug, sekaer, Greenalishi and 13 others like this.
  3. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sounds like Tchaikovsky who said (supposedly) that an artist doesn't borrow he steals!

But I disagree. I like originals. If it sounds like something else, and wasn't done maliciously, no harm.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Lennon admitted copping "Run for Your Life" from "Baby, Let's Play House."

musicfan37 and Jimmy B. like this.
  5. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I think that, at this point, it's difficult to make something that doesn't sound at least similar to something else, even if you've never heard it before.

6. drift

drift Forum Resident

"Oh, yeah, in folk and jazz, quotation is a rich and enriching tradition. That certainly is true. It's true for everybody, but me. There are different rules for me. And as far as Henry Timrod is concerned, have you even heard of him? Who's been reading him lately? And who's pushed him to the forefront? Who's been making you read him? And ask his descendants what they think of the hoopla. And if you think it's so easy to quote him and it can help your work, do it yourself and see how far you can get. Wussies and pussies complain about that stuff. It's an old thing - it's part of the tradition. It goes way back. These are the same people that tried to pin the name Judas on me. Judas, the most hated name in human history! If you think you've been called a bad name, try to work your way out from under that. Yeah, and for what? For playing an electric guitar? As if that is in some kind of way equitable to betraying our Lord and delivering him up to be crucified. All those evil mother****ers can rot in hell." - Bob Dylan

Regandron, Syscrusher, DavidD and 2 others like this.
  7. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

John Kay was very open about stealing Tighten Up Your Wig from the Junior Wells song Messin' With The Kid and even mentioned it in the lyrics:

Just before we go, I'd like to mention Junior Wells
    We stole his thing from him, and he from someone else
    Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he plays the blues like few before
    May he play forevermore

8. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Ritchie Blackmore admitted nicking riffs for a DP song in an interview I saw.

dbz and dirie like this.
  9. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Most obviously Noel Gallagher

In the exclusive interview, Gallagher is challenged to admit lifting the main riff from Bowie's song "All the Young Dudes", a hit for Mott The Hoople in 1972.
    "Absolutely," is his reply. "Course. I've had two songs out of that now: 'Don't Look Back in Anger' and 'Stand by Me'. And he's still not sued me yet."
    No regrets as Oasis admit they stole tunes

and I have a feeling there are more than few more self-confessed examples from Noel.

Fullbug, Odysseus and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Becker and Fagen of Steely Dan. Becker even stated once they were "the robber barons of rock and roll." Listen to Song For My Father by Horace Silver and you'll hear Rikki Don't Lose That Number.

Fullbug, Beamish13, DavidD and 5 others like this.
  11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

That being riffs from It's a Beautiful Day's Bombay Calling for "Black Night."

12. Michael D

Michael D Cool Duch

Neil Young "Borrowed Tune"
    I'm singing this borrowed tune
    I took from the Rolling Stones
    Alone in the empty room
    Too wasted to write my own

13. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Sounds familiar so probably that.

14. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

Child In Time, actually.

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Oops...I meant Child In Time

16. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Mullin and All Down The Line like this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Dan Fogelberg tells the story that Same Old Lang Syne started out as a musical joke based on Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  18. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

The Chiffons were notorious for stealing Beatles melodies

19. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

Paul Weller said that he had the lyrics for Start!, but needed a tune and took The Beatles Taxman.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They mentioned that a Keith Jarrett piece inspired "Gaucho." Jarrett took legal action and ended up receiving co-credit.

Philo Beddoe, sleepjar and Nightfly68 like this.
  21. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Smells Like More Than A Feeling

22. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

This is a pretty interesting interview by Dick Cavett with Paul Simon where Paul speaks frankly about writing Bridge Over Troubled Water. Being a songwriter myself, I can definitely identify with grabbing little pieces of songs from a different parts of others and stitching together something new, and totally original (I fully realize that Paul has been accused, rightly, of plagerism before). He admits to taking pieces of Bach, Swan Silvertones and an unnamed source for the lyrics. He actually uses the phrase, "I stole it" regarding the lyric. . . but only half serious. Start at 6:00 for song discussion:

altaeria, Jarleboy and Darienzo like this.
  23. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

On Public Radio's "Fresh Air", Ray said he stole from John Coltrane's version of "My Favorite Thing" and incorporate parts into a Doors song (I forget which). The neat part was he then proceeded to play the original version, the Coltraine version, and then played the parts he "stole" and how he merged the "token parts" into the Doors song.

An Archival Interview With Ray Manzarek, Keyboardist For The Doors

25. zen

zen Senior Member

However, Blackmore also borrowed the riff for "Black Night" via Ricky Nelson's "Summertime" cover , and added an important break which IMO actually improved the riff.
    After many years of knowing Black Night, it's funny that when I finally heard Ricky Nelson's cover, the Summertime riff sounded way too repetitive. Funny.

Jarleboy and dirie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.