Amp with issues HELP

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fishoutofwater, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident Thread Starter

My amp has been fantastic for 15 or so years. No issues. Today however when i switch it on my right hand speaker buzzes and the bass cones bloats!!. When i switch it off the right hand speaker's bass cone buzzes and sucks in!!. Horrible and i am worried for the health of my speaker. If i disconnect one of my right hand speaker cables, ie. the plus or the minus, there are no issues. Sound quality is fine. No problem. A real pain and i dont know what to do. Any thoughts?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated xx

2. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Sounds like your amp is putting dc into your speakers....i wouldn't turn it on again until its fixed.....dc kills speaker voice coils.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Agreed. Bring it to a tech. Definitely not something which should be taken lightly. Not worth playing Russian roulette with your speakers over, IMHO.

4. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Plus 1,000! I recommend that you disconnect it entirely and take it immediately to a competent tecchnician. Please don't take chances.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  5. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Yikes.

Look at the bright side - you got 15 years of fantastic performance out of it!

Sometimes it's just time to buy a new <fill in the blank>............

Tullman, Fishoutofwater and Razakoz like this.
  6. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

Not worth messing around with a defective 15 year old amp. It might kill your speakers and hey, it's a great excuse to go shopping for a new amp.

The Pinhead and Fishoutofwater like this.
  7. Fishoutofwater

Thanks everyone!! Last thought; when i disconnect one right hand speaker cable from amp and switch on or off the fault does not occure. When the amp is on and i reconnect the speaker cable there is no issues and all sounds fine. While i save up for a new amp would this be a way forward? The thought of no music is not a happy one.

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Sounds like a connection problem. Could be just one faulty component. You have a Cyrus 8 on your profile so don't scrap it! Take it to an official dealer for repair even if that means a long trip. Maybe something simple to fix.

9. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I know many audio enthusiasts don’t do this or like to hear this. Having backup components saves you wear and tear when problems like this occur. You only need to have some cheap amp/preamp gear to get you through.

timind likes this.
  10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It will destroy your woofer in an instant, whenever it wants, if you continue to connect it.
    -Bill

The Pinhead and timind like this.
  11. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Put the speaker cable down and back away!

Fishoutofwater and timind like this.
  12. Fishoutofwater

The problem is that Cyrus will no longer "support" the 8 vs2". They will repair every amp bar that one!! Looks like i need to spend a load of dosh on a new amp.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I have seen others "boat anchored" too. They are hard to service.
    -Bill

14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Cyrus should not leave customers in that position. If they are 'unserviceable' I would try to get a discount on replacement unless you intend to try another brand. You could sell the add on power supply and recoup some cash towards the new amp.

Razakoz and Fishoutofwater like this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

The silver lining is you may be getting a new toy to play with!

It's not a perfect world, things break :-( but that can be the start of a new journey!

Razakoz and Fishoutofwater like this.
  16. Fishoutofwater

Just pulled the trigger on a Cyrus 8 2 DAC QX!!! Cant wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.