Schiitt SYS question*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by blacklava, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blacklava

blacklava Active Member Thread Starter

I would like to ask you guys a suggestion:

I currently own a Schiit Mani (phono preamp) and a Schiit Modi Multibit (DAC) that I connect to a Schiit Magni 3, using the magni preamp out to feed my active speakers (yamaha HS7).
    So when I want to listen a vinyl vs digital, I have to switch the cables that goes to the magni.
    To avoid that I'm thinking about buying a Schiit SYS.

Anyone that own/have owned it?

Also: as I’m not using the magni headphones out lately but just the magni preamp out to my active speakers, would it be better to introduce the sys before the magni and than use the magni outs, or just exclude the magni and go out directly from the sys to the active speakers (in terms of sound quality) ?

2. blacklava

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

For this issue I would contact Schiit and see what they recommend.

I never owned a SYS, but I did own a Modi 2U and a Mani for awhile. I sold both pieces.

Back when I had an active speaker based system, I used a cheap 3 way A/V switcher box to switch between sources and controlled the active speaker volume from the speaker. Even though the switcher box was very cheap, it did not introduce extra noise that was audible.

Nowadays I use a traditional passive speaker based system with an integrated amp. My integrated has several inputs, so no messing with switcher boxes for inputs anymore.

blacklava likes this.
  4. Limelakephoto

Limelakephoto Forum Resident

A sys will do the trick. No sound quality loss. I have one. No issues.

blacklava likes this.
  5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I also have a SYS and use it to switch a center channel speaker from a TV optical output through an inexpensive DAC or from a 5.1 output from a sound system for surround SACDs, DVD-As and Blu-rays. It is very simple but, for the price, performs absolutely flawlessly.

blacklava likes this.
  6. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

You could get a Schiit Saga preamp, 5 inputs to connect your mani and modi...2 outputs : 1 to drive your active speakers, and the other one to your magni for your headphones. Seriously good piece of schiit, the Saga !

StimpyWan, 33na3rd and blacklava like this.
  7. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Another vote for the Saga (+) here if the budget allows.

bever70 likes this.
  8. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I've been researching Schiit preamps recently and found this shoot-out on the SBAF forum. It compares Freya, Saga, and Sys, and Sys actually comes out on top. Pretty interesting. I've read similar positive impressions of the Sys on other forums, too. You almost can't afford not to buy it at $49.

9. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

what would anyone think about using the sys to switch 2 turntables thru a phono amp?

10. blacklava

Would indeed really like to try a SAGA+, or even a Freya+, but prices here in Italy for Schiit stuff is quite high (Saga+ is 450 € for example, the SYS is 80 €...). Do you think I could hear an improvement considering my active speakers are cheap (yamaha HS7) ?

11. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I think it depends if you want the option of the remote and the ability to use the tube buffer.
    The difference between passive and tube is very audible imo with the new Tung Sol valve that the current model comes with.

Also the solid state Saga is cheaper if you don't want the valve thing but still want a remote.

bever70 likes this.
  12. blacklava

I ended up pulling the trigger with the SAGA +, the italian dealer for Schiit had no SYS available but have a Saga+, so I decided myself also in view of future upgrades in the next years (Vidar and passive speakers, a Bifrost maybe).
    Can't wait to try it! I'll give some feedbacks soon.

bever70, 33na3rd and luckyno13 like this.
  13. unsane69

unsane69 Active Member

I had a Saga, before there were 2 kinds. It was excellent; you'd be hard pressed to do better for the price + tube rolling is fun and cheap when you only need one. Upgraded to a Freya+ and love it.

blacklava likes this.
  14. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

You made the right choice.
    I tried a Sys (for 2 turntables) and it was horrible experience.
    Schiit said they don't recommend them for turntables (you'll get a lot of hum),
    "Honestly though the Sys really isn’t suited for that kind of use, it really is intended for line level signals. We can’t guarantee it will work in that configuration." - Schiit support
    Returned it.
    I have a Saga/Vidar/Mani stack now, very happy with it. Abandoned the 2 tables on a switch idea, just plug/unplug when I need to change.

blacklava and crazy eights like this.
  15. bever70

I honestly wouldn't know if you would hear a difference. The Saga has more inputs should you need them later, 2 outputs and remote control. Before the Saga I had another passive preamp, that might suit you, it is also a lot cheaper than the Saga (price is 149£) : the Tisbury Audio Passive Preamp, it has 3 inputs and also 2 outputs. No remote control though. The lack of remote control and the fact that I needed more inputs made me change it for the Saga, otherwise it was just as transparent at the time in my system. And it even has dipswitches at the bottom giving you the opportunity to attenuate the incoming signals should you want to.
    They were very helpfull when I contacted them by mail.
    Tisbury Audio - Mini Passive Preamplifier

blacklava likes this.
  16. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

I had a sys for 1 day before I sent it back. All I wanted was a simple switch for my turntable and CD player on my receiver. The sys lets you do that, but it lowered the amount of volume that was passing through. I tested it quite a few times and even took a video I sent them.

In the end I bought an old mechanical switcher by radio shack from the 90’s. It works perfectly. I don’t hear any quality loss, and definitely no volume loss.

YMMV

patient_ot likes this.
  17. bever70

Looks like my suggestion of the cheaper Tisbury Passive preamp, (see post above), came too late. You move quickly :D! Congrats on the Saga, a good upgrade with regards to any possible future changes in your system!

blacklava likes this.
  18. blacklava

ahah yes, indeed the tisbury looked interesting! I’m on the schiit products addiction lately, so I was biased towards their stuff...I’m slowly creating my own “modular” system (started 6 years ago), really digging the whole concept of having dedicated units and for sure the Saga+ is my most expensive purchase so far. Hopefully it will be a keeper.

bever70 likes this.
  19. blacklava

I received the Saga+ and connected to my system. Luckly I got the latest version with the 6SN7 Tung Sol and the alluminum remote. Really enjoying his sonic timbre, sounds great with both Mani/Vm95ml, and modi multibit. It gives to the sound a very subtle warmth and body, keeping clarity and detail. In particular I find digital sounds less fatiguing and enjoyable, it's like the music is more stable and balanced, even at low volumes (and that's great because I suffer tinnitus and hyperacusis...).
    The remote control from the armchair is a plus for sure!

DSCF5577

33na3rd, unclefred and rischa like this.
  20. blacklava

to the ones that owned/own a Saga (@bever70 , @vinylsolution, @unsane69 ?)

One small downside is that now I have a slight buzz/hum coming from the active speakers; there was some hum even before the saga, but now it's increased, expecially on the right speaker. Nothing serious as I can't hear that while playing stuff, but still. Do you guys noticed that too? The speakers are connected with a cheap RCA to TS 1/4 cables, do you think I could reduce the hum with better cables?

21. bever70

I don't have active speakers. When I switch on the tube and press my ear against the woofers I hear a very slight buzz ( I wouldn't even call it a hum) with volume at very high levels and no music playing of course. Switching the tube off and this disappears. Sitting in my listening spot, volume turned all the way up (no music) I cannot hear it. Maybe try some other(better shielded) cables ?

blacklava likes this.
  22. unsane69

unsane69 Active Member

Wouldn't know honestly. I'm using a NAD 272 poweramp, that has always had a very faint hum with 3 different pre's; a NAD, Saga OG, and Freya +. When I upgrade to Aegir I could tell you, it will be a while though.
    I'd check with Schiit though, if it bothers you enough...

blacklava likes this.
  23. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

My Vidar/Saga with my Quad 11L2's is dead quiet thankfully! I did the same 'test' as @bever70, and hear nothing.
    Good luck with the troubleshooting @blacklava, hopefully you can quell it, hums drive me crazy!

blacklava likes this.
  24. blacklava

I'm good with hum in the end, what really drove me crazy was inner groove distortion on LPs :crazy:

25. blacklava

I would try with better shielded cables but sadly the choice ins't obvious cause there aren't many options available for rca to TS 1/4 cables (at least to common sources like amazon). I should use an rca-rca cable and than use an adapter but I don't like the idea...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.