Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

DeVitos penguin is completely disgusting and great. His rotten, gingivitis teeth that ooze blood are fantastic.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Robert Pattinson is almost 34 years old, appeared in his first movie more than 15 years ago, and has been a star since 2008.

"Up and coming"??? :wtf:

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Don’t know if we’ve discussed the suit yet that’s been unveiled.
    [​IMG]
    I will say I think the suit itself looks good. The head/mask, though, I’m not sure, it doesn’t seem quite right.

D-rock likes this.
  4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I was sort of hopeful with Batman Begins we'd get to the Dark Knight Detective with that one eventually in the Sequels. Instead we got a parable about the war on terror (TDK) and an actual War epic of a sort (TDKR). Don't get me wrong,I like what we did get there,but I really really want to see sleuth side of Batman for a change. Not that you can't have the action and gadgets and the villans mixed in there,but I want Batman solving an actual Sherlock Holmes style case along with the audience.

Not sure we will get that though. There might be mystery and detective elements but I'm sure Warner's wants an 800 million- dollar plus minimum worldwide blockbuster on the scale of the last couple Batman films and a sluthing detective Batman probably isn't what will bet them that huge profit margin.

In any event, I pray to God there's no Wayne murder/training and etc origin story. Everyone and their grandmother knows Batman's origin by now. I can handle a sort of rookie Batman early in his career but I hope he is at least been at it a couple years when this opens and we dive Right into whatever story they are telling.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  5. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

That looks a bit different to the one we saw in the camera test. Note the ridged collar on the screen test version. It also looks a bit less armored here than in the screentest. Granted though we only see part of his head and upper chest.

I personally hope we get something closer to the drawings here. It looks a bit like the Affleck suit but fitting a less bulked up bruiser Batman. Say what one wants about Affleck's portrayle in BvS,( I got what they were going for and the intent and liked it,but I understand why others didn't),the look was the best live action Batman on film since the first Tim Burton film.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

That looks pretty awesome to me--is this an official design?

There were the post war on terror themes of surveillance in TDK. In a larger sense, to me the Nolan Bat-movies took on genre films in this way: Begins was an adventure movie in the vein of Raiders Of The Lost Ark with the mentor themes thrown in (Ducard / Ra's Al Ghoul), TDK was like a gritty crime drama, and The Dark Knight Rises was like a take on the disaster film genre.

We got a bit of Bruce sleuthing in The Dark Knight when he was tracking the Joker by the fingerprint on the shell casing. Granted, it was a pretty short scene and subplot, but it was like a nod to the detective side of Batman.

I believe the director has said he wants to lean more into the detective / noir side of the character with this new film. But WB no doubt wants a Batman in a robot suit fighting the Joker movie. We'll see how it comes out. Agreed on not needing to see the Waynes gunned down or a training montage in this one.

Zoot Marimba and daca like this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

daca likes this.
  8. Chrome_Head

Nolan usually used 3 villains in his films, 2 heavies and a lesser-known bad guy (Ra's, Scarecrow and Victor Zsasz in Begins; Joker, Two-Face and Scarecrow in TDK; Bane, Catwoman and Talia Al Ghoul in Rises) and that worked pretty well.

I just wish we weren't seeing repeats of Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman already. Go deeper into the Bat-rogues for once.

9. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

First, comparing Nolan to Reeves is insulting. No one knew in the Begins that Ra’s Al Ghoul was the primary villain. The Scarecrow was used well as a diversionary “primary” villain, and Zsasz was a tertiary “villain” at the very best.

In TDK, Nolan the Scarecrow barely even counts as a villain as he was only there to introduce the new Batmobile. The Joker, was perfect, and Dent/Two-Face was used well playing off the Joker’s chaos. Had it not been for the premature death of Ledger, Nolan would have made the movie we deserved and not the movie we got in TDKR.

Speaking of which, the only two great things from TDKR were the Catwoman, and that it was primarily filmed in Pittsburgh. Otherwise, TDKR was an absolute dumpster fire! (A massive fist fight in the streets of Gotham???? And trapping all police “underground,” now that is funny. Or rather completely asinine, amongst other completely idiotic “plot” elements. Plot of course used extremely loosely.)

Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman (3 major villains) and the Twi-night in the same movie. Not to mention the ancillary and supporting villains, as well as Gordon and Alfred. There’s an old saying about placing 10 gallons of “refuse” into a 5 gallon container.

The movie will be financially successful; however, for the Batman fans, it will suck. And blow. I will not pay a nickel to see it. (I would rather give it to Gambol’s grandma.)

I am curious to hear what the true fanboys think.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

so is this a rerere-boot? Or just a rere-boot?

11. Zoot Marimba

ENOUGH! FROM THE CLOWN!

daca and Chrome_Head like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

A lot of people tend to diss Pattinson because of his roll as Edward in the Twilight. I've watched Robert in movies before and after the Twilight saga, and feel that he is an excellent and talented actor.

DeVito's Cobblepot is what I think of when I think of The Penguin.

[​IMG]

Chris DeVoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  13. Zoot Marimba

I honestly have no clue. And I have no problem with Jeffrey Wright, he’s a great actor and I can see him being a good Gordon. The only thing that confused me about a black man being casted was that I thought this was theoretically the same character as J.K. Simmons. I don’t know, maybe Gordon has vitiligo.

14. Chrome_Head

Let's not get carried away here--Nolan was virtually an unknown entity before taking on Batman Begins. Give Reeves a chance.

Nolan also worked in the mobster villains in each movie like Falcone, Maroni and Dagget along with the more colorful costumed villains. There was certainly a lot going on in each film, but it worked.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the film. Kinda crazy you would dismiss it before even seeing a shred of movie footage.

15. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Batman fanboys have the worst record. They always damn each director and actor before the film.

17. Chrome_Head

I can still remember the uproar when news got out that Ledger was cast as Joker. I’ve read it was the same when Keaton was cast as Bruce/Bats back in ‘89.

18. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Bette Midler as Lola Lasagne.

vinnie likes this.
  19. Zoot Marimba

And Keaton is my favorite live action Batman (though for Bruce, I go with Bale).

20. Zoot Marimba

To be fair, I don’t remember much of an uproar when Joaquin was announced as Joker

21. Zoot Marimba

I will say I think, at least for now, Reeves should hold off on Joker since we’ve gotten three (four if you want to count Gotham) in the last fifteen years alone.

Penguin? Batman Returns is almost thirty years old, and Riddler hasn’t been in a film in twenty five years (and said film was Batman Forever).

22. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

To once again quote Jules, “sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mofo.”

I get 1,440 minutes each day, and I am not wasting a single one of them on a film/Movie studio that can’t tell the difference between sh!t and shinola.

The only thing DC & WB have got going for them on the silver screen is Wonder Woman. For obvious reasons.

I admitted my mistake with Ledger. Easily the best live action Joker in Batman history. And it’s not close. However, DCs & WBs history with casting superhero movies (outside of Wonder Woman) has been atrocious since Christopher Nolan directed movies for them. Even his genius couldn’t save that crappy TDKR (although not all blame can be placed on him.)

And I never had a problem with Keaton as Batman. Granted I was biased as he is a Pittsburgh guy. However, that being said, IMHO, Bale was/is the best live action Bruce Wayne/Batman.

23. SandAndGlass

I think the studios keep placing too much attention on the bat suit.

We all know what a bat suit is, I think we can move forward with the story without over emphasis of the bat suit.

24. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I liked him in Remember Me and Cosmopolis. I just can't imagine him playing Batman. But who knows? He could be an improvement over Ben Affleck.

daca likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

Then, could you picture him playing a vampire(in five movies)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.