What era of music do listen to the most?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Feb 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

I feel more and more out of place among almost everyone I know because I spend most of my time listening to the music of the 60s and 70s. Those were my growing years. It's comfort music for my soul and I don't have to expend an extraordinary amount of energy to listen to it. The music transports me back in time. It's escapism.

How about you? This is a forum filled with people like me, but i'm noticing a lot of you keep your head in the here and now. I am constantly amazed that people my age (OK, boomer here) rarely listen to the old stuff.

Vic_1957, CCrider92, Mickey2 and 9 others like this.
  2. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I'd say 60s and 70s pretty equally.

Mickey2, Crimson Witch and Grant like this.
  3. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

I'll go 70's and 80's.

4. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

1966-1973

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Lately early 60s. But my norm now is 2016-2019. The later doesnt come easy but Ive learned to relax and make finding new music a fun journey.

6. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

60's/70's

7. joefont

joefont Senior Member

That sounds about right!

8. Jazz: 1963-75

Classical: 1870-1940, especially 1910-1930 (but the 1880’s for stuff my wife’ll enjoy too)

Rock/pop/alternative: all over the map, but lately more (obscure) 1980’s stuff, and the 90’s and after (depending on the artist). But also a whole bunch of Hendrix and “Early Years”-era Pink Floyd too (so pre-1973).

Next to zero Beatles, and even less Zeppelin (though I love Plant’s first four solo albums), and practically no Stones either (but I love all of Keith Richards’ solo albums). Not much Who (hardly any), BUT about half of Pete Townshend’s solo output is really high on my list! And ALL my favorite David Bowie is his 90’s and 2000’s output (but especially every last thing he did in the 2010’s, best of all).

I’m almost 51 (b. 1969), and my wife is 52 (b. 1967) fwiw.

9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

My favorite period by far is 1963 - 1975 (Pop Rock, Soul, R&B, Blues, Crooners... and a bit of Jazz)

But 1978-1982 had some great punk/post punk/indie stuff (Elvis Costello, Blondie, R.E.M., Oingo Boingo, Go-Go's, Pretenders, Jim Carroll Band, DiVinyls) before the 80's were taken over by Synth-Crap

Also Early 90's (Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I like songs with intro verse bridge chorus type songs so loads in the 20th Century. Not much in the 21st century.

11. drift

drift Forum Resident

With exceptions, the bulk of my music listening is from the 1930's-1970's. Since a couple people mentioned their age, I was born in 1992.

12. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

70s and 80s

70s has the largest well of genre variety and innovation with so many albums I can't even begin to start going into it. It helps that it bleeds the late 60s and some of the best new wave records towards the end of it - it's kind of the have your cake and eat it too sort of thing.

The decade after is just a matter of my listening habits - I probably listen to more 70s music, but I listen to plenty of the next decade as well. I like a lot from the latter half the 60s however I can't give the time of day for the majority of records before 1966 for how music was sold and created - not to say there were a lot of timeless songs, but the resonance isn't there for me.

But yeah, if I had to pick a timeline, it would be 67-93, probably. In terms of just what I probably reach for any given day. There's plenty of good music everywhere though.

Oh, age - 23 if that changes anything.

Crimson Witch and HaileyMcComet like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best decade imo for singles ..
    The S I X T I E S.

14. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

The rock era.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

The golden era 1967-1977

16. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

60s and 70s

Crimson Witch, Joti Cover and Grant like this.
  17. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

18. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

primarily 1980s but I do like a splash of Lizst, Scarlatti, Chopin, Bach thrown in from time to time.

19. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Honestly the 2010s, because the bulk of my listening is always to new stuff. Before long I'll be listening to stuff released in the 2020s more than anything else. That doesn't mean I like new stuff the most, but I don't like hearing stuff I know like the back of my hand too often--you could say what I like the most is not hearing music I'm overly familiar with. I regularly fill out older stuff that's new-to-me, too, but that's pretty evenly divided between music released from the 1920s (and often written much earlier in the case of classical) to whatever the last decade was (so at the moment the 2000s), which always makes the current decade the bulk of my listening, except for, say the first six months to a year of a new decade--it takes about that long for the new decade to take over most of my listening time.

Re age, I was born in 1962.

20. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Late 60’s - The White Album & Abbey Road
    Late 70’s punk
    80’s post punk
    70’s electronic

Crimson Witch and DJ LX like this.
  21. Mathewrivelle

Mathewrivelle Forum Resident

60´s 70´s 80´s and 90´s

It´s funny, According to Instagram. Where i put an album up to date almost 2 years. They are practically the same.

Crimson Witch and Grant like this.
  22. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

78-86
    Once punk had cleared the rubbish out of the way, you had the (English) new wave, the mod/ska revival and new romantics, followed by the birth of the alternative music scene and the Smiths. Born in 67, I was always aware of how lucky I was compared to those a few years older than me.

I also really enjoyed the 89/90 baggie era, britpop until Oasis spoiled everything, the glut of bands from around the world that were influenced by the Strokes and then the Libertines in the early 00s, and was pretty slavish following the Uncut Americana bands (ones on the Dark was the Night compilation) from 2008ish.

23. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

1920-1970

24. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Starting from the late 60s up to the 2000s.

25. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Around this time as well.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.