Record stores in San Fran?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Chester0711, Feb 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

How about "homeless encampment"?

groundharp likes this.
  2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Unfortunately, the homeless problem has gotten exponentially worse in SF in recent years, but until the US starts adopting the same sort of social programs that exist in Europe it will not get any better any time soon (not unless SF institutes a 'zero-tolerance' policy like NYC did some years back). Couple that to the NIMBY attitude towards inner-city homeless shelters and it is not surprising that things are not improving for the less fortunate in society.

BDC and CBackley like this.
  3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

You clearly are not a big fan of 45's or you would be impressed with Rooky's, as I have found some 45's in there, that I NEVER thought I would ever see. As for AMOEBA, they are one of the few remaining great stores in the country (I've shopped all locations), but I've walked out of their stores empty handed, so while they may be KING, it just depends on if you are lucky and are there on the right day..

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. Chris C

I knew that Rooky's was about a mile away from Amoeba, but that's not that far. I did not know that they have moved across the street?

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Is there any other city that has a rule like this? I always laugh when I see somebody mention it. Is it a law? Will you be fined?

6. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

It's not a law, it's just puffery on the part of certain types of San Franciscans who get all huffy if you don't do things exactly the way they do. SF is supposed to be the province of tolerance, but they are actually quite intolerant. Call it what you want.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I was just joking obviously. I remember reading here that when visiting there to bring warm clothes so you didn't be one of those poor tourists having to buy a I Heart SF sweatshirt to keep warm. When I did go there I bought one just for kicks. It's a nice shirt.

8. groundharp

Rooky's isn't all that far from Amoeba. It's a good walk, but exercise is good for you. And it's all downhill, so it's not that strenuous.

Eh, I've had better luck with 45s at Groove Merchant, which unlike Amoeba, IS in the same neighborhood as Rooky's. Also, I think that Rooky himself is somewhat unpleasant. YMMV.
    Actually, I had the best luck with 45s at the dearly departed Baytown Records in Albany. I miss that place a LOT!

9. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

If you like blues and roots-type music, Down Home in El Cerrito is a good stop (if you have a car or don't mind a street-level hike from a BART station). They have vinyl, CD, and a good music book section.

Instant Dharma, Greenalishi and Mazzy like this.
  10. groundharp

And an amazing selection of vintage blues and R&B concert posters on the walls.

11. Meloski

Meloski I don't roll on Shabbat

Way overpriced!

12. It’s bad in virtually every west coast city. Feds cut funding for drug and mental illness and weather is good year round.

13. Chris C

I apologize that I'm clearly not very well versed in "MAZZY", past the photos of your equipment and posts here on the forum, so I'm guessing this is YOU, correct? If so, very cool for posting and you seem like a fun guy to hang out with and go record store shopping with, thanks for posting these videos here!

14. meadorbd

meadorbd Listener

+1 to Originals Vinyl, a very well curated shop. My go to here in the City.

chacha likes this.
  15. Yeah these were new postings on my Vinyl Community YouTube channel where I show some of my collection and pull random records and get snarky.

Chris C likes this.
  16. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

There is a great store in the Castro. It is on a corner. It is kind of crowded and hard to maneuver, but you will find great stuff for great prices.

Anyone know the store I'm talking about?

17. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

I have to say that I never find anything there. New vinyl is pricey and hit-or-miss as to whether they actually got it in, and the used stuff all seems like it’s been there for 20 years. It’s the closest store to me, though (aside from the truly awful “Record Man”), so I *WANT* to like it!

18. reverendjim

Pyramid, which isn’t too far from 1234 and Stranded, is small but has some great rare stuff.

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Sounds like you are thinking of Grooves.

20. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Down Home Music is unique because it' s Chris Drakawitz of the label Arhoolie Records store.

Rocky is lower Haight Aomeba upper Haight same street more nightlife in lower Haight. Jacks , Groove Merchant and a techno type store in lower Haight and around the corner on Hayes and Fillmore is Originals. Then a short walk to Market and Octavia is Grooves.

Thrillhouse has the best prices in the city on new vinyl.

But a Bart ride to Berkley for Rasputins and Aomeba is worth it.

Guess its up to how much time ya have.

I was. at Aomeba on Haight last week for an instore with Scott Ian and Brian Posain. Fun. Got an Eric Burdan solo lp 3 bucks 2 45s stuff in their recommended 45 section. And 3 copies of old Jet mags from the early seventies. And a numero group cd comp. Didnt have mylist so randomness ruled.

Call the city whatever ya want. Lots a needles and tents in downtown. I blames prettyboy newsome. Enforce the law. Still a fun place to hunt for music. Jacks is a real unique store if you can get by when their opened.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    ispace likes this.
  21. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

When you're in Frisco, be sure to go down to Redwood City and check out The Record Man. Bargain hard and good luck. (BTW, they have secret areas that you have to ask to be let into.)

Oh, and I'm a lifelong resident of Frisco city proper and just feel like calling it Frisco at the moment!

22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have never found anything interesting at Vinyl Solutions unfortunately

Greenalishi and reverendjim like this.
  23. reverendjim

Does the Record Man actually back off from his “I’m pricing this based on the highest Discogs sale price” or “I’m pricing this whatever I feel like” stance, which he apparently takes regardless of condition, pressing or common sense? And does he actually get new stock in? The spines on those LPs all seem pretty sun-bleached. I won’t set foot in that place anymore.

Greenalishi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.