Drive-By Truckers - The Unraveling, Jan 31 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graham, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

LP arrived today. Really liking it. Playing it through for the second time.

Had to go online because now HMV has shut there's nobody selling new vinyl in the city. Have to go to Brum, or Cheltenham.

2. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Have you any idea who pressed the black vinyl? I would like to get this one but not if it’s a United Record Pressing or Memphis Record Pressing item. No indication so far as far as I can see on this. I emailed ATO on Friday so I’m hoping somebody will come back to me. In the meantime how is your black. vinyl copy?

3. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Only unreleased Cooley song I can think of is Flight 218 to Denver - but they haven't done that one in a while now. They were playing that regularly BEFORE American Band.

4. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

Is your copy black or colored vinyl?

5. KAJ1971

It is black.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  6. Larry Loves LPs

I keep asking on this thread hoping to get more info on the quality of the pressing. Is it noisy? Perfectly centered? As I said a couple of times, my colored copy is horribly off center and unlistenable. I may get the black version bit trying to get some more info on it.

7. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

People, including myself, have answered. Black pressing is perfect. Just send back your faulty copy.

KAJ1971 likes this.
  8. Larry Loves LPs

I’m trying to get people to actually talk about the sound of the record. An audiophile forum with only a couple of vague (beautiful black) comments isn’t super helpful.

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

my marble sky pressing is excellent and sounds great.

RMD likes this.
  10. Larry Loves LPs

I thought if one copy is off centered then the whole run would be.

11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Excellent new interview with Mike Cooley on The Moment, the podcast by Brian Koppelman, co-creator of the TV series Billions. As usual the discussion focuses on creativity and motivation, writer’s block, and the like.

Mike Cooley (Drive By Truckers) - 02/20/20 - The Moment with Brian Koppelman (podcast)

It inspired me to finally bear down and catch up with the whole DBT saga and discography, after adoring some of the songs (esp. “Righteous Path”) but never quite doing a deep drive. Got several back catalog vinyl albums and CDs on the way, streaming the new one, and bought tickets for their Albuquerque show in late March...

scotto and Rupe33 like this.
  12. KAJ1971

It's non more black.

Coltrane811 likes this.
  13. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

I wrote this in response: My black copy is fine - centered OK, I think, although I didn't specifically look, and almost zero surface noise. Yet to be cleaned though.

Sorry if that wasn’t helpful. Next time you ask if other people have issues I won’t bother replying to say my copy is fine.

My beautiful black comment was before your posts and was me being silly (not a huge fan of coloured vinyl) so you’ve taken that completely out of context.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  14. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Just back from Homecoming, still buzzing from three nights of amazing Rock Show and heathens community love, and spinning this album all morning.
    Sound: I have the marble sky (or whatever it's called) colored vinyl version. I'm not a big colored vinyl fan, but this sounds clean and full. Comments from the band indicate that they and longtime producer David Barbe consciously went for a more spacious stereo-centric mix ("cinematic" in the words of Patterson Hood) over their usual punchy (almost mono-sounding in, again, Patterson's words), immediate sound, and it shows. Even the rockers have a fuller and more complex (for lack of a better term) feel than recent albums and certainly more than their "old stuff." Where as some recent albums sound great, but veer toward muddiness when cranked (English Oceans for one, or is that just my copy?), this one really unfolds and spreads out with extra volume. My first listen was via shared downloads and, listening piecemeal, I loved the tunes, but was underwhelmed. But as a whole, the vinyl really shows off the care and detail that went into both the arrangements and the recording/mixing. "Awaiting Resurrection" is a perfect example: Crank it up and get lost in the beautiful, scary void.
    Notes: Recorded at Sam Phillips Recording Service in Memphis, TN, by Matt Ross-Spang and David Barbe...additional recording at Chase Park Transduction in Athens, GA, by David Barbe...mixed by Matt Ross-Spang and David Barbe on a vintage 1975 Neve console at Chase Park Transduction...mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound. "We recorded most of this album in Memphis at Sam Phillips' dream lair. His mad-genius echo chambers reverberating down the pastel painted hallways. Mick stopped by one day. No ****. It's been that kind of century. Most of the tracks were more or less live. Many in one or two takes. We played them loud. You should too."
    Band: Interestingly their development is causing a seismic rift between the "I Like Their Old Stuff Better/I Just Wish They'd Shut Up and Play Rock And Roll" crowd and those who enjoy their evolution and what they have to say. To the extent that the old Facebook page turned into a constant back and forth between the two and prompted and breakaway drama-free page.
    I get that. I love both their development and what they have to say. For my money, this is their best one yet. But you like what you like.
    Cheers, y'all.

RMD, JuanTCB, entropyfan and 6 others like this.
  15. scotto

scotto Senior Member

You're in for a treat. They're one of the best live shows going.

RMD, SteveFff and Stone Turntable like this.
  16. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

For those who are interested in the black vinyl, ATO confirmed to me that Optimal pressed the vinyl.

17. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

They must be selling a bunch of them. I ordered my copy about two weeks ago and it looks like it is going to be another two or three weeks before it ships.

18. Larry Loves LPs

I contacted them about returning my screwed up colored version in exchange for a black copy. They replied they were “out of the regular black vinyls”. I’m hoping I can get a black copy at the show in a couple of weeks.

19. scotto

scotto Senior Member

The record sales took everyone by surprise, which I guess is a good problem to have for an "indy" band. Last week the only artist with more vinyl album sales was Billie Eilish, who had just dominated the Grammys, etc.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  20. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

What is considered a good vinyl sales figure for an artist these days? What is the profit for an independent artist on say, 1,000 vinyl sales?

21. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I don't know. I was only commenting on the number of units sold, not the profits. I bought this as the preorder direct from the band's website. I'm sure it's pennies on the dollar, but it's got to be a bit better than Amazon.

22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

My black LP is rather compressed. It's not dynamic sounding at all. But it's not distorted, harsh, or fatiguing. It's no audiophile joy, but the sound doesn't get in the way of the music either. My guess is that's what the mix sounds like. Vinyl quality is decent - mine is flat and quiet.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  23. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

Love the new LP. Just caught them twice in four days. Amazing. The new tunes sound fantastic live. Go see them!!!!

Walt likes this.
  24. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I just saw them in D.C. last night. They were fantastic! I picked up the new album at the show and it's colored...

scotto likes this.
  25. Larry Loves LPs

I had tickets to that show and broke my damn ankle yesterday. BUMMER!!! My buddy said they covered Alice Cooper I’m 18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.