Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Just saying he channeled The Fabs in general on the album. Yes, primarily John and Paul though.

Certainly, Paul specifically has been a major influence on Billy (In some ways “Maybe I’m Amazed” seems the blueprint for Billy’s career). Though I think Billy’s music and songwriting has much more to it than just being a McCartney wanna-be. He would not have lasted this long if he were just that.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  2. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

WilliamWes and Guy Smiley like this.
  3. Guy Smiley

Not going to argue that Paul was being particularly badass at this point of his career, but I like this mostly forgotten gem anyhow. At least Paul was rocking again, and his backing band was a good one.

Unclear to me what “one-armed bandits in the swimming pool” means, exactly. But then, I also enjoy “Junior’s Farm” and I don’t claim to understand all the lyrics in that one either.

Besides, Paul’s saying he’s not such a bad boy any more (Double negative in the song aside. It’s a time-honored rock tradition). Fun little rocker, stands out above most of his ’80s output for me. 4/5.

4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Joel's a giant in the music industry.

Who Cares and Guy Smiley like this.
  5. Guy Smiley

If diminutive in actual height. :)

6. Bailes

Bailes Billy Shears

Not Such a Bad Boy - One of the better songs on the album it was on.

7. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Not Such A Bad Boy is pedestrian rock at best.

8. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I like Not Such a Bad Boy, and indeed I like most of the originals on Broad Street -- but especially the rockers. These have a loose, casual feel that's fairly unusual for Paul's rockers, which are often (with notable exceptions, of course) sometimes a little too polished in the studio versions. This is a good, solid, fun track.

I must say I'm disappointed that our moderator has chosen not to discuss the remakes on this album, which are most of the album and its truly puzzling aspect. So many are nearly note-for-note recreations that in an interview at the time George Harrison quipped, "He rerecorded them?"

The one remake that really does work for me in a slightly unexpected way is Here, There and Everywhere. While it adheres pretty closely to the original arrangement, there's a subtle but noticeable difference in Paul's vocal. The original version sounded almost ethereal, as if he was singing about a fantasy lover, not a real person -- and perhaps he was. The Broad Street version, to me at least, feels subtly but unmistakably more real, like he's singing about an actual human being. It's one of two remakes here that I like better than the original.

The other is The Long and Winding Road. I don't really love the smooth jazz sax, but it's better than the Phil Spector Wall of Sludge. Still, I really wish Paul had just done a proper studio recording of the arrangement he played on the Wings Over America tour.

9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

If people want to discuss the re-makes on the Broad Street album it s no problem.I choose not to because they just don t belong in a song by song thread. We have already discussed Wanderlust, So bad and the other recent songs. Songs like Yesterday hardly fits on a thread that is meant to discuss Pauls solo/Wings stuff song by song
    Personally I sort of enjoy the re-recordings of the Beatles stuff given Broad Street is a soundtrack album. I really enjoy the smooth jazz-version of Long and Winding road
    But
    My favorite Long and Winding road is the one featured on Wings over America. Just love Pauls vocals and the horns on that one

Who Cares likes this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

There seems to be a lotta talking about songs we're not talking about !
    Bemagnus , take control or we're gonna wind up talking about Paul's covers of ' A Taste of Honey' and " Till There Was You ' from those vintage Beatles days.

Guy Smiley and Who Cares like this.
  11. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Not Such a Bad Boy

It's time to rock and have fun!!! Great performance with strong vocals, guitar riffs and a unique drums sound by Ringo.

Lyrics:

I laughed at the teachers
    Who taught in my school
    They kept one armed bandits in the swimming pool

They don't understand me
    But they never will
    And if was there I'd be telling them still

I'm not such a bad boy no more, no more, no more

I followed the leader
    Into her tent
    But nobody told me that she owed some rent

She wanted to love me,
    I wanted to go.
    But she taught me things that I needed to know

She wanted to love me,
    I wanted to go
    Well she taught me things that I needed to know

I talked to my lawyer,
    he picked up my bail
    Won't someone get me out of this lousy jail?

We're both in agreement
    that crime never pays
    And I should be out in a couple of days

Credits:

Produced by George Martin
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Bass, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Backing Vocals, Keyboards by Linda McCartney
    Drums by Ringo Starr
    Backing Vocals, Electric Guitar by Dave Edmunds
    Backing Vocals, Electric Guitar by Chris Spedding
    Percussion by Jody Lindscott
    Engineer: Geoff Emerick, John Kelly
    Engineer assistant: Stuart Breed, Jon Jacobs
    Label: Parlophone
    Release Date: October 22, 1984
    Recorded at Abbey Road Studios / AIR Studios, London, UK / CTS Studios, London, UK
    Length: 3:29 minutes

12. Bemagnus

Sometimes we have to loosen up a bit. But soon we will get back to business.

13. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

@Victor46542 this is your avatar, right?

14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Their music doesn’t even sound the same.
    Billy’s music is obviously piano-based with a jazzy influx at times. Paul’s music by and large can’t be even more different.

15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

17. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

19. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Not Such A Bad Boy:
    Exactly the kind of thing POP was missing.
    It’s not an out-and-out rocker, but I simply love it’s spontaneous live-in-the-studio nature. This is a perfect example of Paul not trying too hard, relying on the talents of the musicians around him and just having a blast.

Without discussing the songs in order it’s going to be a bit harder to be objective about the album as a whole since there’s so many selections, but when I have some time to kill I’ll put in my two cents.

20. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

I finally sat through the entirety of Broad Street a few years ago. Aside from a couple of great musical sequences, it's terrible.
    You know things are bad when Paul can't even play himself convincingly.

21. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

Not Such a Bad Boy is a great little rocker. Better than almost anything on Pipes.

22. Bemagnus

Next one

No values

Another rocker-this one I enjoy slightly more than Not such a Bad Boy. More interesting chord-changes and lyrics also better. Whoever Paul sings about he seems genuinely upset. Still not a very good song and I still think this crack-band could have sparked a bit more fire. Aces like Edmunds and Spedding plus Ringo Starr deserved a better faith than this. Imo of course

I hear them telling me that you're selling off the furniture
    And even keep my personalized autographs
    You might as well go all the way and sell your granny to the zoo
    And while you're at it, may I go to my psychiatrist?
    He's making money out of making me laugh
    But I don't mind, I wish that I could say the same about you
    It seems to me that you've still got no values
    Oh you know you're not so hot, no values
    And I'll be glad if you went away again
    No values... no values... no values at all

The city shark is at the dark and of the alleyway
    You pays your money and you takes your choice
    The artful dodger says he wants to pick a pocket or two
    But you, you've taken up a place in high society
    A personal friend of Messrs Rolls and Royce
    Got them all convinced that everything you say to them is true

It seems to me that you've still got no values
    Oh you know you're not so hot, no values

You know you've got a lot, but no values
    And I'd be glad if you went away again
    No values... no values... no values at all

I like your wife's smile, I like her car
    If I had your lifestyle, I wouldn't go far wrong
    On the waters of life you row your boat
    Into the strongest tide that you can find
    On the darkest of nights we were two of a kind
    We went through it all before the tide went out
    And left us stranded on the shore
    How was I to know
    How was I to know

Well you ain't got no values
    You know you think you're hot, no values
    You know you've got a lot, but no values
    And I'd be glad if you went away again
    No values... no values... no values at al

23. Guy Smiley

Oh there’s plenty of The Beatles, and Paul, in Billy’s work. The Nylon Curtain album being most obvious (And it’s a great album), but I can point you to tracks all the way back to Cold Spring Harbor (His solo debut) thru River of Dreams (the underrated album he ended on) that show the Fabs influence.

There’s a reason he’s covered so many Beatles songs onstage, has shared the stage with Paul a few times, and why Billy is tapped now and then to talk about The Beatles on Sirius XM, and wrote a piece for Rolling Stone a few decades back about Beatles songs.

You don’t hear Paul here? This is the original version, with the longer jam at the end (Later reissue was shortened).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  24. Guy Smiley

I like “No Values.” Not as catchy as the other two new songs, but still an interesting song that has more of the punch Pipes of Peace sorely lacked.

Not an all time classic, but for 80s Paul it rates well enough for me. Some of the lyrics really don’t make much sense to me though. The opening lines:

“I hear them telling me that you're selling off the furniture
    And even keep my personalized autographs”

Wha?? Selling the furniture, but keeping the personalized autographs. This is bad, why exactly?

Also not clear who he’s singing to, or who “he” is when Paul briefly mentions someone other than the main object of his ire. If I understood all that better, I might like it more. As it is, 3/5.

The MEZ, WilliamWes, omikron and 2 others like this.
  25. Guy Smiley

Not to get too far off topic, but here’s one more “Beatlesque Billy” example... From what is apparently his final album (Been over 25 years). Today’s Paul song (“No Values”) reminded me of this one, as Billy’s song is similarly full of angst.

The lyrics are a bit surreal, but it’s specifically about his former manager, who Billy had only recently learned had been rippjng him off years. “No Values” indeed.

This one might be a bit more John, or maybe even George in places, than Paul, but the Beatles influence is strong here, from the backing vocals to the strings to the mysterious voices in the background near the end:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.