Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

The best song on the "Broad Street" album is "The Long And Winding Road". I said it!

No Values/Goodnight Princess/We All Stand Together
    ~ 3 songs to discuss and what a diversity! Can't be said about most artists.

No Values 2/5 ~ Like many said a solid rocker. Some think that's a good thing, I don't.

Goodnight Princess 3.5/5 ~ Sounds like a hit from the 20's - I like it. Add some lyrics and it would be a nice addition to the "Kisses" album.

We All Stand Together 3.5/5 ~ Designed for an animated film and Paul is very, very good at that. I played that to death back in 1984.

Choba b CCCP, Who Cares and omikron like this.
  2. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Count me in as a major fan of We All Stand Together, which was Paul's last major UK hit, reaching No. 3 behind Band Aid and Last Christmas (so it was really a No. 2!) Loads of gorgeous melodies going on here. 4/5

I also like Eleanor's Dream from Broad Street - despite the cringeworthy accompanying film sequence. It flows seamlessly on from Eleanor Rigby - almost as though it had been written at the same time. 3.5/5

Kudos to Paul and George M for the arrangements of both of these tunes. :agree:

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Im happy to find out I wasn t the only one who liked We all Stand together
    I always thought I was
    :):)

4. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Give My Regards To Broad Street:

I’m not going to a cumulative album score based on my ratings for each song sing this is more of a songtrack instead of a proper album. Don’t worry, it’s still going to be at the bottom of my list even if I did score it. GMRTBS is the grand experiment that ended up yielding very little real substance as a film. As an extended series of music videos, it of course excels as we get to see Paul run though some great Beatles songs, see some energetic new songs and we even get some Ringo. It is Paul’s safe version of a world tour in the wake of John’s death and security fears. Honestly it was probably wise to go this route. It’s just a shame that the film as a “film” was not given some more thought and care. I think MPLRecords mentioned on one of these threads somewhere that it takes minutes to read the screenplay or something to that effect. It’s barely a framework.

No More Lonely Nights: 4.5/5. A very lovely and well-crafted ballad that is oh so shy of being just perfect for me. I love this song but I always walk away feeling like it’s missing something somehow. David Gilmour. Finally a post-Wings collab that pays off in spades. (Honestly I am also a big fan of the Eric Stewart collab but the bulk of that is yet to come). 2.5/5 for the Playout Version.

Good Day Sunshine: Nothing to see here, move along folks. It’s a fairly vapid remake.

Corridor Music: 3/5 “You don’t think Harry would go and do a stupid thing like that do you?” “Yes I do”. I like this jam if you can find it without the dialogue laid on top. It has some teeth to it.

Yesterday:Here/There and Everywhere/Wanderlust: The start of a great scene in the film where Paul lays down a trio of wonderful songs in close quarters. It’s almost reminiscent of A Hard Day’s Night with the camera work. George Martin and Ringo do their thing.

Ballroom Dancing: Not sure if I like this one better than the studio version or not. It seems to be overslick to my ears.

Silly Love Songs: Silly Love Songs is now officially Silly.

Not Such A Bad Boy: 3/5 Now were getting to some of the real gems in this film, the dock warehouse scene. It’s these types of songs I think many of us were on side 2 of POP to help energize the album a bit. It’s a very wordy song, isn’t it with a fairly pedestrian melody.

So Bad: A nice run through that takes away some of the tenderness of the studio version.

No Values: 4/5 This one is slightly less wordy but I love the moody music and backing vocals. For all the wishing we do for unreleased McCartney material, he does find a way to recycle quite a bit. This one being around since the last days of Wings.

For No One/Eleanor Rigby: A couple Beatle redos in a chamber setting. Nice but sort of falling asleep at this point in the film.

Eleanor’s Dream: 2/5 Eleanor’s Dream is technically new music since it was scored by Paul with George Martin’s help. Is this Paul’s first orchestral work since Family Way?

No More Lonely Nights (playout): 2/5 for the Playout Version. Boring and trite.

Goodnight Princess: 3.5/5 Really just background music in the film that you barely hear, GP is pretty much just an exercise for Paul not really needing to or wanting to achieve anything. Just a simple, well-behaved pastiche.

No score since it’s not an album but in the list nonetheless. LAST PLACE. Also adding in WOA without a score since for some reason I didn’t earlier.

BOTR 43/45 96%
    TOW 45/55 81%
    V&M 49.5/65 76%
    RRS 36/45 80%
    BTTE 52/70 74%
    LT 49.5/70 71%
    RAM 41.5/60 68%
    WOA
    McII 42.5/55 77%
    WATSOS 43/55 78%
    POP 36.5/55 66%
    McC 43/65 66%
    WL 28.5/40 71%
    GMRTBS

We All Stand Together 3/5 Quirky, childish fun but not anything I get excited about. I appreciate the quality of it though.

5. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

We All Stand Together

A masterpiece, a highlight, an epic children song. The arrangement is terrific with a beautiful performance, great vocals, music and orchestration and a sublime Flute solo by Elena Durán. Bravo!!!

Lyrics:

Win or lose, sink or swim
    One thing is certain we'll never give in
    Side by side, hand in hand
    We all stand together

Play the game, fight the fight
    But what's the point on a beautiful night?
    Arm in arm, hand in hand
    We all stand together

La…..
    Keeping us warm in the night
    La la la la
    Walk in the light
    You'll get it right

REPEAT

Win or lose, sink or swim
    One thing is certain we'll never give in
    Arm in arm, hand in hand
    We all stand together

Credits:

Produced by George Martin
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Backing Vocals, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Orchestra lead by Kenneth Sillito
    Trumpet by John Barclay
    Vocals by Nigel Perrin, Alastair Hume, Bill Ives, Anthony Holt, Simon Carrington, Brian Kay, London Community Gospel Choir
    Euphonium by Pete Beachill
    Violin by Robin Williams
    Flute by Elena Durán
    Tympani by Gary Kettel
    Engineer: Geoff Emerick assisted by Jon Jacobs
    Label: Parlophone
    Release Date: November 12, 1984
    Recorded at AIR Studios, London, UK
    Length: 4:25 minutes

Promo Film:

6. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about We All Stand Together...

This is the short film written and produced by Paul McCartney and directed by Geoff Dunbar:

gja586 likes this.
  7. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

The single was released in a picture sleeve:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A shaped picture disc single in printed PVC sleeve was released on December 3, 1984:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The song is available on All The Best (UK edition) and Pure McCartney, remastered:

8. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

The b - side of the single is the Humming version (2:23 minutes):

[​IMG]

omikron likes this.
  9. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

The idea of remaking the songs for the Broad Street project was not very good. The album was a big disappointment for me at the time.

And it made me aware, for the first time, that McCartney's voice wasn't quite the same. He struggles a bit with "Wanderlust" and "Here, There & Everywhere".

The new songs are not good, in my opinion, with the exception of "No More Lonely Nights".

Who Cares likes this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

No matter how crappy ( or good ) any particular Macca song is there will always be someone who agrees ( or disagrees ) with you..
    I love 'Bip Bop ' !

Who Cares likes this.
  11. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

The original demo (incomplete) is available on the best buy promo Oobu Oobu - Widescreen Radio - Ecology:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mark Fricke

Mark Fricke Forum Resident

Paul was so bad in A Hard Days Night that his feature sequence was cut from the film. Every other Beatle got a solo feature. Paul's had him meeting a ballerina while she rehearsed. They dumped it quickly.

He was also asked to be one of the voices talking on Dark Side If The Moon. He was to answer questions like the last time got in a fight or his thoughts on death. They said he was so stilted and awkward they didn't use any of his answers.

Who Cares likes this.
  13. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Demo:

Binni and omikron like this.
  14. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

There is a 2004 promo with a radio edit version of the song (3:05 minutes)

"PLUS a 20th anniversary edition of We All Stand Together (The Frog Song) both from Paul McCartney's forthcoming DVD The Music And Animation Collection."

[​IMG]

The limited vinyl and CD single editions have the complete 2004 version:

[​IMG]

This is the the DVD's trailer:

omikron likes this.
  15. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul presenting the short film on Disney Channel:

omikron likes this.
  16. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

There is an MPL's promo sampler with the song:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

omikron likes this.
  17. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

We All Stand Together. I remember the first time I heard it really clearly. I was at school in art lesson and the teacher was playing the radio when it came on. I was really into Macca at the time and I was SURE he had something to do with it when I first heard it. Of course it was confirmed when it finished by the DJ as Sirple's new single. I really liked it, it was sweet and fun. I remember some of the other kids in class being like "What the hell is this!?". I think it's a perfect realisation of the concept. The short animation was shown before Broad Street at the cinema when I went and may have actually been the highlight. :uhhuh:

gja586, JDeanB and Who Cares like this.
  18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

The Beatle and the bear: How Paul McCartney nearly made a Rupert The Bear movie

"McCartney planned an animated, feature-length movie musical, and wrote a series of songs for the project throughout the 1970s, with names like ‘Nutwood Scene’, ‘Walking the Meadow’, and ‘Rupert Song’. In the early 1980s, he approached Argentinian animator Oscar Grillo – with whom his wife Linda had worked on animated short Seaside Woman – and pitched shooting a Rupert short before embarking on a feature. But very quickly money became an issue."

omikron likes this.
  19. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

There is a Mexican 12" Single "Paul McCartney y Las Ranitas":

From Paul McCartney Y Las Ranitas* - Todos Juntos = We All Stand Together

"Special single 12" edited in Mexico for EMI Capitol Records, S.A., of the Paul McCartney 7", "We All Stand Together", of 1984.

The songs are in English.

Titles in Spanish in sleeve and labels.

Paul McCartney Y Las Ranitas
    (Paul McCartney And The Frog Chorus)

From the animated featurette "Rupert And The Frog Song".
    (Música Original de la Caricatura "Rupert y La Canción de las Ranas")

"Las Ranitas" is the name in Spanish of "The Frog Chorus".
    "El Coro De Las Ranitas" is the name in Spanish of "The Finchley Frogettes"

Rupert Drawing Ⓒ Express Newspapers PLC 1984.

Printed in Mexico"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From We All Stand Together (song)

"In Monterrey, Mexico, the song’s music video played at the start of each broadcast day on Channel 12, minutes before the show ¡Mira qué bonito!, hosted by Romulo Lozano, Raul Salcedo “Cascarita” and Esperancita Berrones. The song topped the singles charts there for a record breaking 99 weeks.

In Mexico City, it was shown at the beginning of each broadcast day on Canal 5."

JDeanB and omikron like this.
  20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Choirs with Purpose's version:

From We All Stand Together - Wikipedia :

"In 2017, Choirs with Purpose, a collection of a dozen charity choirs, assembled for a remake of "We All Stand Together". Their recording features Scottish singer Michelle McManus in a bid to top the UK Singles Chart Christmas chart and win the coveted British Christmas number one for 2017.[4] Profits from the single will be split equally between the participating choirs in aid of their own charity work.

The choirs taking part in the recording with McManus include:

• Anstee Bridge Choir
    • Cystic Fibrosis Virtual Choir
    • Daniel Spargo-Mabbs Foundation Choir
    • Games Maker Choir
    • Homelink Carers Choir
    • Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Choir
    • Lucy Lintott / MND Scotland Choir
    • Maggies Cancer Centre (West London) Choir
    • Missing People Choir
    • Parrs Wood High School Harmony Group
    • Pop Up Purpose Choir
    • UK Hospices Choir"

Official video:

omikron likes this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I saw some photo outtakes of that scene. The girl was a knockout .

22. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

There is an unofficial (?) 2002 version of the song by DJ Partyraiser & DJ T.I.M.

There isn't any Paul or MPL credits. The first 45 seconds are the 1984 song and then a hardcore, heavy, repetitive sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"We All Stand Together" -- for a long time, I was convinced that this was the main song for an animated movie, a McCartney side project.

I don't think it made much sense for McCartney to release this as a standalone single.

Anyway, it was a misguided but still bold move on his part. Kudos for McCartney for following his muse like he so often did in his long musical trajectory.

24. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Finally a music box:

"Personalized 15 notes musical mechanism with Paul McCartney's hit song "We All Stand Together"."

25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It’s not outrageous to think that it’s not outside of the realm of possibilities that the original film screenplay as it is can be written on a Post-It memo paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.