Iain Matthews Appreciation Thread--solo, album by album + track by track (pg. 18)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jul 19, 2017.

1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there are a few more albums that are not on that list, it is just very hard top read and, i think, chronologically incorrect.

extremely hard person to collect, extremely hard. i have over 20 CD's by him and i know that i am missing quite a few.

chickendinna likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

Yes. Wiki is at best, often unreliable as it depends on... unreliable sources...but Iain's catalog is very hard to pin down indeed. He has released albums that are only available in various countries including his adopted home of Holland.

There are a number of Plainsong releases not listed at wiki, and more.

His live material releases are extensive and wonderful.

His two with Elliot Murphy are faves....see below:

5. lemonade kid

Iain's discography from his home page
    Discography – www.iainmatthews.nl

DISCOGRAPHY
    Solo
    • Pyramid, “The Summer of Last Year”/”Summer Evening” (1967) UK Derman; his first recording (single)
    • If You Saw Thro’ My Eyes (1971) UK and US Vertigo
    • Tigers Will Survive (1972) UK and US Vertigo
    • Valley Hi (1973) UK and US Elektra
    • Journeys from Gospel Oak (1974) UK Mooncrest
    • Go For Broke (1976) UK CBS/ US Columbia
    • Hit and Run (1977) UK CBS/ US Columbia
    • Stealin’ Home (1978) UK Rockburgh/ US Mushroom
    • Siamese Friends (1979) Rockburgh/ US Mushroom
    • Discreet Repeat (1979) Rockburgh
    • Spot of Interference (1980) UK Rockburgh/US RSO
    • Shook (1984) Polydor
    • Walking a Changing Line (1988) Windham Hill
    • Pure and Crooked (1990) Gold Castle
    • Skeleton Keys (1992) Line
    • The Dark Ride (1994) Watermelon
    • God Looked Down (1996) Watermelon
    • The Seattle Years 1978–1984 (1996) Varèse Sarabande
    • Excerpts from Swine Lake (1998) Blue Rose
    • Orphans & Outcasts Volume 3
    • A Tiniest Wham
    • If You Saw thro’ My Eyes – Live (2005) It’s About Music
    • Zumbach’s coat (2005) Blue Rose / Perfect Pitch / Eminent
    • Contact in Live (2008)
    • The Art of Obscurity (2013) Perfect Pitch / Omnivore Music / Fled’ling|
    • A Baker’s Dozen (2017) Perfect Pitch
    Fairport Convention
    Matthews Southern Comfort
    • Matthews’ Southern Comfort (1969) UK Uni/ US Decca (first solo album)
    • Second Spring (1969) UK Uni/ US Decca
    • Later That Same Year (1970) UK Uni / US Decca
    • The Essential Collection (1997) Half Moon (retrospective of 1970s recordings)
    • Kind of New (2010) Brilliant/Genepool BMCD1010
    • Kind of Live (2011) Perfect Pitch
    • Like a Radio (2017) MIG Music
    Plainsong
    • In Search of Amelia Earhart (1972) UK and US Elektra
    • On Air (1992) Band of Joy (BBC Recordings from 1972)
    • Voices Electric (1994) Line
    • New Place Now (1999) Blue Rose
    • Pangolins (2003) Blue Rose
    • Reinventing Richard: The Songs of Richard Farina (2015) Fled’ling
    Hi-Fi
    • Demonstration Record (1982) First American Records; live mini-album
    • Moods for Mallards (1982) First American Records
    No Grey Faith
    • Secrets All Told – The Songs of Sandy Denny (2000) Perfect Pitch / Unique Gravity
    Collaborations

With Julian Dawson
    • Songs from the Red Couch – Live (1996)
    With Elliott Murphy
    • The Official Blue Rose Bootleg (2001) Blue Rose
    • La Terre Commune (2001) Blue Rose / Perfect Pitch / Eminent
    With the Searing Quartet
    • Joy Mining (2008) Perfect Pitch (an easy listening/jazz oriented album)
    With Nick Vernier Band
    With Egbert Derix
    • Joy Mining (2008) Matrix
    • Afterwords (2010) Matrix
    • In the Now (2012) Verve, Fledg’ling(UK),Omnivore(US)
    • That is to Say (2012) DVD
    • The Making of in the Now (2013) Documentary
    With Nick Vernier Band and Emitt Rhodes
    With Ad van der Veen

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    oboogie likes this.
  6. lemonade kid

Iain appeared on my favourite Fairport Convention, in spite of the consensus about "Liege & Lief":
    "What We Did On Our Holidays" 1968

Meet On The Ledge (Richard Thompson), alternating solo vocals by Ian (Iain) & Sandy

Man at C&A and oboogie like this.
  7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

now that's more like it.

and good luck trying to find some of these, and even better luck trying to pay for them if you do.

lemonade kid likes this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Pure & Crooked is my favourite but I love the early MSC, Fairport & solo records too.

Lots of gaps in my collection though. Need to sort that!

Matthews' Southern Comfort are playing Cropredy in the Summer. Might even stump up for a ticket for that, despite my aversion to large festivals. :)

lemonade kid and rikki nadir like this.
  9. lemonade kid

oboogie likes this.
  10. lemonade kid

And these on CD and digital releases:

On CD:
    Plainsong
    • In Search of Amelia Earhart (1972) US Elektra...on original vinyl
    • On Air (1992) Band of Joy (BBC Recordings from 1972)
    • Voices Electric (1994) Line
    • New Place Now (1999) Blue Rose
    • Pangolins (2003) Blue Rose
    • Reinventing Richard: The Songs of Richard Farina (2015) Fled’ling
    With Elliott Murphy
    • The Official Blue Rose Bootleg (2001) Blue Rose
    • La Terre Commune (2001) Blue Rose / Perfect Pitch / Eminent
    With the Searing Quartet
    • Joy Mining (2008) Perfect Pitch (an easy listening/jazz oriented album)
    ...and a ton of live stuff like "Nights In Manhattan" and "Orphans & Outcasts" 3 CD set, and more...

oboogie likes this.
  11. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Being an Iain Matthews can be frustrating because his catalog is so unwieldly. I find it a journey worth taking because there are so many wonderful releases. Point in case, the Orphans and Outcasts 3 cd set is a veritable goldmine of IM demos, alternates, outtakes etc that demonstrates how deep his creative well is. He hasn't received nearly enough recognition.

12. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Looking forward to the new MSC as their last one a couple of years ago was the best album Iain has been a part of in at least 20 years IMHO. I don't like any of his Jazz style collabs and the reformed Plainsong albums were all hit and miss and his last solo album to my ears was the worst album of his career.. no idea what he was thinking.. some terrible songs, For my money he'll never do better than "Thro My Eyes" and "Valley Hi" for original material with Plainsong's "In Search of Amelia Earhart" not too far behind. His best covers album by far is the sublime "Walking a Changing Line" (would love to get my hands on the re-issue with bonus demos and live tracks :)) The biggest surprise for me was the "Hamilton Pool" album which was magnificent. Shame they have never done anymore recordings. It amazes me he just keeps on putting material out and touring when so many of his contemporaries are winding down. Lets hope there's a few more years left in him!

13. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Wasn't a fan of what I heard on the radio at that time, Woodstock did nothing for me. Getting off work one day, heard Morgan The Pirate, and been a fan ever since, But didn't go back to Woodstock, etc.

Back in the early 90's, saw him at a house in Towson, Md., I think it was his manager (?), the gentleman was the editor of Dirty Linen, a folk publication. There were maybe 15 people there, and he gave a concert. At the time, it made me think of the days of traveling artists, Woody came to mind. It was funny when he went to the kitchen at the end of the performance, the 15 folks applauding, and then out for an encore.

Afterwards we spoke about John Kongos, and Dave Stewart (Matthews had coproduced the Longdancer lp). The following summer he played there again, this time in the back yard. With no amplification, it was difficult to hear, and when a motorcycle ran down York Rd, forget about it.

BlairH, phillyal1 and lemonade kid like this.
  14. lemonade kid

I do love my "If You Saw Thro My Eyes" (love watching the Vertigo label spin...can't do that with a CD!) and Valley Hi" vinyl...those early releases are sweet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And those cool Mooncrest labels
    [​IMG]

My Iain Matthews vinyl LPs are treasured...

15. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Dirty Linen was a great magazine.
    I have a bunch stored away ,for no good reason.

Paul J likes this.
  16. lemonade kid

Taking a chance here. by retitling the thread...and that there will be interest.

So I hope to get some participation...as you guys seem to be still following this Iain Mathews thread.

Introducing a new twist:

Iain Matthews solo album by album:

[​IMG]

I am completely unfamiliar with his single release as Pyramid (anyone can contribute if they are):

1) Matthews Southern Comfort, 1969
    Don't write this off as easy listening. There are some pretty rocking tracks too.

Matthews' Southern Comfort is the debut solo album by country rock/folk rock musician Ian Matthews, and was his first album after leaving Fairport Convention in 1969. The musicians who played on it with Matthews were luminaries of the British folk rock scene and included ex-Fairport colleagues Ashley Hutchings, Simon Nicol and Richard Thompson, plus Gerry Conway, the drummer from Eclection and Fotheringay. -wiki

Playing it now. I am quite lucky to have a NM Decca LP stil in the opened shrink with perfect vinyl.
    Spinning the country rock minor masterpiece...really digging it as I give a serious listen for this thread.
    I hope you all do the same...

[​IMG]

1. "Colorado Springs Eternal" (Steve Barlby) - 3:13
    2. "A Commercial Proposition" (Richard Thompson) - 3:01
    3. "The Castle Far" (Steve Barlby) - 2:59
    4. "Please Be My Friend" (Ian Matthews) - 3:23
    5. "What We Say" (Ian Matthews) - 3:26
    6. "Dream Song" (Ian Matthews) - 2:13
    7. "Fly Pigeon Fly" (Steve Barlby, Hamwood) - 3:22
    8. "The Watch" (Ian Matthews, Steve Barlby, Comford) - 2:41
    9. "Sweet Bread" (Steve Barlby) - 2:34
    10. "Thoughts For A Friend" (Ian Matthews) - 3:19
    11. "I've Lost You" (Steve Barlby) - 2:28
    12. "Once Upon A Lifetime" (Ian Matthews, Steve Barlby) - 4:27
    Personnel

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    peachyg72 and oboogie like this.
  17. lemonade kid

The Rising Storm review...spot on as far as my tastes go:

[​IMG]

Having always been partial to Ian Matthews era Fairport Convention, I remember being more than elated upon the discovery of his prolific solo career. From 1969 to 1972 he managed to release at least seven LPs as a solo artist and member of Matthews’ Southern Comfort and Plainsong. In many ways his debut is only partly a solo outing. Help from his fellow Fairporters Simon Nicol and Richard Thompson create an overall feel that is not far removed from the first two FC albums. But while a few tracks such as “Commercial Proposition” and “A Castle Far” sound like top-quality leftovers from his former band, a distinctive Matthews sound was certainly emerging. This is especially evident in the country leanings (hinted at in the first two FC records) that are much more pronounced and tastefully accentuated by Gordon Huntley’s steel guitar playing.

Surprisingly the album does not suffer much from Matthews’ minimal writing contributions as co-producer Steve Barbly provides excellent material in “Fly Pigeon Fly,” “Sweet Bread” and the agonizingly plaintive “I’ve Lost You.” But Ian does deliver some exceptional writing in the steel-guitar-driven “Please Be my Friend” and the irresistible folk epic (co-written by Barbly) “Once Upon a Lifetime.”

What makes this album so timeless and enjoyable is the way it explores country music without deliberately trying to be country—a highly commendable feat that many American bands were not able to achieve. Free from any phony southern twang, Ian’s fragile, emotionally-charged vocals enrich every song with a genuineness that is perfectly complemented by the warm, rural landscape that’s successfully captured by the band. Not only is this one of the first British country-rock records, but it is also an unrecognized benchmark for the entire then-burgeoning genre.

Matthews’ Southern Comfort (self-titled) 1969 | Rising Storm Review

18. lemonade kid

Full album

oboogie likes this.
  19. lemonade kid

Not an auspicious beginning starting with the wrong LP...fixed now.

:tiphat:

20. lemonade kid

John Peel:

Matthews Southern Comfort

[​IMG]
    With Richard Thompson, Simon Nicol, and Ashley Hutchings from Fairport Convention, guitarist Mark Griffiths, drummer Gerry Conway, pedal steel player Gordon Huntley, and keyboardists Dolly Collins and Roger Coulam, Ian Matthews (aka Iain Matthews) recorded his debut solo album, Matthews' Southern Comfort, whose sound was rooted in American country music and rockabilly, in 1969. This was his first significant experience as a songwriter, although the band also covered the likes of Neil Young and Ian and Sylvia. He followed it up by forming a working band using the name of his first album, Matthews Southern Comfort (without the apostrophe), then released subsequent albums Second Spring (1969 – UK #52) and Later That Same Year (1970).
    The band went through several different line-ups and toured extensively for the next two years, to general critical acclaim. They had one commercial success: a 1970 cover version of "Woodstock" (written by Joni Mitchell) was a number one hit single in the UK Singles Chart. It experienced heavy airplay in Canada reaching No. 5, as well as peaking at No. 23 on the Billboard singles charts in the United States in 1971. Afterwards, Matthews split with Southern Comfort, who went on to release three albums of their own on Harvest Records. (Read more at Wikipedia.)
    Matthews Southern Comfort | John Peel Wiki | Fandom

oboogie likes this.
  21. lemonade kid

Links to Peel

[​IMG]
    Matthews Southern Comfort - Woodstock (1970)
    Matthews Southern Comfort were frequently played on Top Gear during their lifespan, both session and tracks by the band appearing in Peel's playlists. But not only was Peel a supporter of the band, he may even have been responsible for its existence. In an interview with Mojo magazine (December 2015, p.130), Ian Matthews, who had just been fired by Fairport Convention in 1969 after the band decided to concentrate on its version of British traditional folk music, is quoted as saying: "I told John Peel the part of Fairport I loved was where we would interpret contemporary American songwriters. He said, 'Well maybe you ought to develop that as something of your own.'" And indeed this was what Ian Matthews did, first with Matthews Southern Comfort, then with Plainsong, and during his solo career.

Peel was the narrator of a documentary film (see below) made at an open-air festival in 1970, directed by Tony Palmer, and featuring live performances by Fairport Convention and Matthews Southern Comfort.
    Matthews Southern Comfort | John Peel Wiki | Fandom

Man at C&A and oboogie like this.
  22. lemonade kid

[​IMG]

This UK band was formed by former Fairport Convention singer/guitarist Iain Matthews (b. Ian Matthew McDonald, 16 June 1946, Sc#nthorpe, Lincolnshire, England), and was named after his 1969 debut for MCA Records. Comprising Matthews, Mark Griffiths (guitar), Carl Barnwell (guitar), Gordon Huntley (pedal steel guitar), Andy Leigh (bass) and Ray Duffy (drums), the newly formed band signed to EMI Records.

The unit’s country-tinged sound proved to be an excellent forum for Matthews’ songwriting talents. In the summer of 1970, their second album, Second Spring reached the UK Top 40 and was followed by a winter chart-topper, ‘Woodstock’. Joni Mitchell wrote the single as a tribute to the famous festival that she had been unable to attend. Already issued as a single in a hard rocking vein by Crosby, Stills, Nash And Young, it was a surprise UK number 1 for Matthews Southern Comfort.

Unfortunately, success was followed by friction within the band and, two months later, Matthews announced his intention to pursue a solo career. One more album followed after which the band truncated their name to Southern Comfort. After two further albums, they disbanded in the summer of 1972. -Allmusic Guide, Iain Matthews biography

oboogie likes this.
  23. lemonade kid

A side note about the debut above...I do find the sobbing insane sounding overdub on "Please Be My Friend"a bit over the top and annoying. It's always turned me off from side two.

On to...

2) Second Spring, 1970

[​IMG]
    Decca US release

There are various album covers of this second album for Matthews Southern Comfort
    (the apostrophe is gone now from Matthew's).

Uni UK version
    [​IMG]

AllMusic Review by Jim Worbois
    With this album, Matthews' Southern Comfort is a real band and, in addition to Matthews, also includes Roger Swallow (ex-Marmalade) and Marc Griffiths (ex-Spooky Tooth). Though there is really nothing that makes this a memorable record, it's still quite a nice record overall. If you already know his work on Elektra, Mooncrest, or even Later That Same Year, it would be well worth your while to search this record out. -allmusic

...it gets 3/5 stars. Still a way to go to realize the fully formed Ian persona, but it is getting there.
    Overall it is a brave move, a fine LP, and in the forefront of the country rock movement.

This is one I do like a lot..."Moses In Sunshine"...a more natural sound all round

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    oboogie likes this.
  24. lemonade kid

Even As...another track that shines

oboogie likes this.
  25. lemonade kid

1. "Ballad Of Obray Ramsey" (Ian Matthews) - 2:25
    2. "Moses In The Sunshine" (Carl Barnwell) - 6:18
    3. "Jinkson Johnson" (Ian Matthews) - 5:29
    4. "Tale Of The Trial" (Ian Matthews) - 2:42