SH Spotlight Test the midrange purity of your system and/or your computer speakers using Bing Crosby!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I'm good.

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I'd bet the degree to which you do or do not have negative feedback applied to your tubes has a whole bunch to do with this, and maybe as much as the speakers. IDK

I can hear a small difference on the computer with some cheap headphones. I've ordered the CD, but I don't have a bunch of confidence in my CD spinner.

3. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

I could hear exactly what dimensions the recording room had, and even how long Bing's stubble was at the time, like a bat when it uses its sonar.

No, just the fading "bloom", not the room :shake:

GerryO likes this.
  4. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

The drums sound very echoey during the intro, the rest of the instruments not at all or very little. What am I missing?

5. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Tried the Bing test with my Sennheiser HD 580's on my main system, first through my Schiit Valhalla (tubes), then again through my Rotel RC-1070 (solid state). It's there with both, but very faint, and almost non-existent through the Rotel. An interesting side effect of this test was a comparison of the two headphone amps - Bing's transients are faster and clearer with the Rotel, and the strings are silkier with more sparkle. Meanwhile, everything is weightier and more congested with the Valhalla.

Biggest difference are the winds, though. Easier to pick out individual instruments with the Rotel although the Valhalla has more emotion and fewer layers.

Final test - through my RB-1070 and Dynaudio Audience 62's - it's there, but only very faintly.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Ham Sandwich likes this.
  6. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

Could this test also be used to check if you are using the right impedance tap on your amp?

7. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

honestly surprised I could hear it so clearly, was expecting this to be a "great now I need an upgrade moment" I have a fairly modest setup by forum standards (schiit modi 2 dac>mac 1900>Boston Acoustics A100) but the :27 phrase was loud and clear

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  8. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

I don't feel this way at all even though I can barely hear it on anything I own, or am I just kidding myself? I'm honestly unsure whether it's necessary. I hear fantastic details in my music all the time, and I'm rarely bored nor am I ever faced with the desire to turn my stereo off, although my ears get fatigued on occasion.

9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Four years later, different speakers and even more evident. If you know what to listen for you’ll hear it pretty easily. There’s only one point in the song where there’s any reverb on Bing’s vocal: the line “fooled by a feeling” at about 0:27-0:29. The rest of the track the vocal is pretty much completely dry. Turn up the volume when you try it. :thumbsup:

The Revealer and .crystalised. like this.
  10. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Interesting, I tried the tests before and could not really hear the room reverberation. I tried again today and I could hear the room reverbs using my Samsung Note 9 with a low cost over the ear headset. My family room and living room setups on the other hand....no clear room reverbs... : (

11. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I wonder if room reverbs is similar to artificial reverbs added to songs.

I can hear lots of reverbs in this song using my Samsung Note 9 with over the ear headset. But, just a hint with my living room system.

If reverbs is what counts for mid range purity, this song maybe a lot easier to use for testing:

12. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Well, never mind. My phone had "Dolby Atmos" option turned on. Once turned off, not better than my family room and living room setup. :hide:

I wonder if this "atmos" feature is how tubes' added harmonics sound like.....

13. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

I hear it!!

14. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

Steve, is this test mainly for speakers? How pronounced should the effect be on headphones?

15. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

16. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

So why did the monitors only come into the mic for one phrase? What about the scenario made this possible?

eyeCalypso likes this.
  17. spiralgalaxy5

spiralgalaxy5 Active Member

Thanks for this little gem Steve :righton:

18. Steve Hoffman

Works on my **** laptop as well!

RiRiIII likes this.
  19. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

20. Joy-of-radio

Yay! I got my CD edition of Bing Crosby Sings Again! Occasionally discogs dealers surprise the flippity-flop out of me! The CD and its case arrived in pristine condition! I joyed to the smooth edges of its jewel case and thrilled to the words Patent Pending on the underside of the CD tray!

So then, the studio monitor feedback heard at 00:26 of You Are Too Beautiful is NOT IN YOUR FACE. Two things are necessary to hear this. You must be paying careful attention as the monitor feeds back briefly and your system must be reproducing midrange accurately. The effect will come across as room echo (naturally occurring reverb).

ModernBingFan0377 likes this.
  21. Joy-of-radio

Upon further listening, I perceive the studio monitors feeding back from 00:24 through 00:26.

22. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I just bought the CD.....been looking for a decent sounding Bing comp.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  23. Joy-of-radio

I suspect this is the best sounding Bing Crosby comp, though frankly I've not heard any others. I avoid using colorful and exotic words and terms common among audiophiles to describe audio reproduction, but to me these masterings sound very faithful to what I imagine the original in-studio sessions to sound like. Another pleasant feature of this comp is its wide dynamic range. Also, while the entire audible audio spectrum should be accurately represented in recordings, it is often not in so many modern recordings with the younger set's ongoing love affair with hyped bass and highs. Factor in unnecessary compression and loud volume, it's no wonder to me why subtle detailing in production of most modern pop is a lost art. Bing Crosby Sings Again is truly HI-FI especially considering the age of the recordings and the technology of the day. You'll be pleased!

ModernBingFan0377 and moople72 like this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Bing Bump.

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I found a cheap copy of this comp for £3.99, including shipping.:)